Saturday 24th February 2018

A post on silver jewelry, because I never do that

gabriela artigas earring

I always post gold, because it’s what looks good on my skin, but I like silver jewelry too, and know a number of you prefer it. So I thought I’d give it a go. And while I’m at it: some of you have asked  how I feel about mixing metals, so I will take this moment to state that I am all for it, even though I can never quite pull it off myself.  I think these earrings are really sculptural and chic.

snake ring

When a snake is eating its tail it’s called an ouroboros, and I love them: I have an ouroboros tattoo, and  a couple of rings too, and would gladly add this to the collection.

ttt earrings

These turquoise earrings are just a tiny bit hippie chick, in a good way.

skull cuff

The skulls on this cuff let you covertly add a little punk rock touch to your bracelet stack.

catbird silver hoops

I do love a big old hoop.

pamela love ring

I also very much like a big, chunky ring to offset my fat little fingers, and this malachite number is just gorgeous.

ttt necklace

This necklace fits like a choker and is—I think—pretty sexy.

flotsam ring

Another good ring—statement-y without being too much.star diamond necklace

I like the idea of diamonds with silver: it’s unexpected and fresh.

vita fede ring

A good ring to add to any stack.

maria tash earring

I really like this spiky earring—it’s tough, but also quite beautiful.

ttt cluster earrings

A pair of dangly earrings that would be endlessly versatile.

sterling cuffs

These cuffs come in a set of two, and I find their simplicity appealing.

ttt peacock earrings

I have always loved this peacock earring from Ten Thousand Things—just a really lovely shape, and they’re big enough to stand out without being overwhelming.

lauren wolf earrings

The funky setting renders these pearl earrings almost edgy.

catbird necklace

This rose thorn necklace is so pretty and delicate, but also kind of tough chick.

black diamond ring

Black diamonds and silver can be pretty reasonably-priced: this ring goes for just under $200 (here it is with regular diamonds).

faris necklace

And finally: this is a pearl pendant, and I love the organic shape.

Here is a post I did a while back on good necklaces for layering.

Posted on February 13th, 2018 18 Comments

1. Krista Campbell says:

Thank you! Love it all! Especially the black diamond ring. As a tried-and-true singleton I have been flirting with the idea of buying myself a cool black diamond ring and wearing it on THAT finger (you know the one!) 🙂 Great post!

2. Liz says:

Love the skull cuff. Nordstrom lists it as MENS but it is definitely unisex.

3. Caroline says:

That Sarah swell ring is lovely.
    A always mix metals. Probably laziness, but I wear a gold necklace and a silver together that I rarely take off. I find it harder to mix rings for some reason though.
    That said, I adore a big chunky signet ring in any metal I can get.

4. joannawnyc says:

Great collection, I can feel my love for silver jewelry reawakening! I have those little turquoise Ten Thousand Things earrings in black pearl and they are great, quite versatile. Really want to see that Need Supply pearl pendant in person!

5. Lynn in Tucson says:

I really hope you make it out here for the Tucson Gem & Mineral Shows one year (early Feb. – just ended). It would rock your world.

Thank you for this post, Kim!

I often wear silver jewelry because so much gold turns on me unless it’s a high count which means it has a high price tag. Oh, the sorrows…

Great selection. I’d wear literally everything here. Humm…..

Also, is it just me or is everyone else seeing tons of “peasant” blouses for spring? They always remind me of maternity blouses so I can’t say I’m overly excited about seeing them everywhere. BUT, is there a good way to style them so they look a little more current than Boho era 1976?

7. Nicole says:

I’m a gold girl through and through, though turquoise really shines in silver, and I love those earrings.

Oh, mixing metals. I have 2 bangles that have both silver and gold, and I just love the way they look. They’re pretty much locked on unless I removed to clean, and put them back on.

However, that said, warm metals just make me feel like ME. I am not sure if that makes sense. I do have diamond studs that I wear pretty much daily (though, right now I’m wearing some jade/gold studs I bought in Wyoming) and they are set in white metal. Gift from my husband. I love them. You can barely see the setting, so I just ignore it. That’s about as wild as it gets for me. But I have seen others do it with much more coolness.

8. therealblonde says:

I started to mix metals some 12, 14 years ago – I was always a silver only girl until someone gave me a gold necklace that I liked too much to keep it an a drawer. I added it to the mix (I’ve also been layering necklaces since forever), and now I wear anything and everything together: earrings, rings, bracelets, necklaces. I even have jewelry that combines the two metals. It’s one big happy silver and gold party.

9. themis says:

I have those Gabriela Artigas ‘Tusk’ earrings. Did I see them here first, a year ago-? I asked for them for my birthday, because I wouldn’t normally pay that much for two grams of silver – but honestly, they are my everyday signature piece; I haven’t taken them out in weeks. Delicate, but with an edge.

Wowza, Kim! I’m usually a gold lover, but you knocked it out of the park with this one!

I’ve had the Catbird hoops on my radar for awhile and now I’ve GOT to have them. And the rose thorn necklace. And the flotsam & jetsam ring. Haha! My husband bought the Lauren Wolf claw pearl studs for my birthday a few years ago and I love them!

11. Jen says:

Those pearl earrings are something else! I might have to get a pair.