Saturday 24th February 2018

Sweatpants are all I feel like wearing right now

sweatpants street style

Especially first thing in the morning when it’s time to take the dogs out for their stroll, and when I drag my ass to yoga and it’s too freezing to wear leggings. But I’m thinking of expanding my horizons: I have a super-stylish friend who wears her sweatpants as streetwear, and she always looks great, and enviably comfortable. I wouldn’t try to dress sweats too far up (although I have included here a silk pair that is practically evening-worthy), but instead to think of them as an alternative to jeans on days you just can’t be bothered with a zipper.

outdoor voices sweatpants

this heather grey pair looks a bit like what the woman in the picture is wearing.

The Great sweatpants

The Great makes these adorable embroidered star sweats (as well as these, with hearts).

sincerely jules sweatpants

Just a well-cut, straightforward black pair.

adidas sweatpants

I have always loved the look of classic Adidas sweats—the stripes are so sportif (and here’s a very chic pair with subtler stripes).

z supply sweatpants

Grey camo is nice and subdued.

nike sweatpants

These are fleece, which would be so damn cozy.

PE nation sweatpants

I wrote about these PE Nation sweats a while back. They were quite splurgetastic, but I went for it and am so glad I did: they’re the perfect winter sweats, very thick and warm. Now they’re on sale—still not cheap, but nicely cheaper.

mother sweatpants

I like the raw cropped hem here.

pam & gela sweatpants

And I am crazy for this dark leopard print, and the fun way it contrasts with the stripes at the waist.

ATM silk sweatpants

A silk pair is nicely luxe—wear them exactly as you would a good pair of trousers, with just about anything.

terez sweatpants

The skulls here stop short of being overwhelming because the print is black-on-black so they’re barely visible.

everlane cashmere sweatpants

These are Everlane’s cashmere iteration—there’s a waitlist, but it’s well worth getting yourself on: I own a pair and they’re so soft, and wear well.

juicy sweatpants

How squishy and comfortable would a velour pair be?

Here is a post I did on my favorite pair of yoga pants.

Posted on February 12th, 2018 28 Comments

Love me some sweatpants!

Wearing my Patagonia sweats as I type this. Own a pair of the Outdoor Voices and will say they are my favorite “summer” sweatpants. Plus, the knees do NOT bag out. Also own a pair of silk/cashmere sweats and they do look like cuffed trousers when paired with a proper top.

The leopard print pair you have here are calling me. And I would love to add a pair of Adidas to my collection.

2. Kimberly says:

I have been so sick of jeans lately, I’ve been looking at my sweatpants trying to find a way to dress them up day to day, and that first girl is killing it!

3. Jill says:

Also wearing sweats right at this very moment, but struggling with how to style them so as not to look like I’ve given up. I try attending carefully to everything else — narrow-silhouetted Everlane cashmere crew, big scarf around neck as in the photo at top, cute sneakers, earrings, sunglasses, plummy lip gloss, etc — and yet I look in the mirror and it’s a big old NOPE. Anyone want to give me a step-by-step?

• c.w. says:

I wear my outdoor voices sweats (which fit close to the body, but not leggings close) with a slouchy sweater and pr. of short boots with the sweats tucked into the boots. It may seem against the grain to put a slouchy sweater with sweatpants, but I think it all hinges on where the sweater hits. I’ve also worn them with a white tee, blue jean jacket and my “dressy” sneaks. Aaannd keep in mind my I-look-great! bar may be set much lower than yours! 😉

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

CW, you DO look great! I love your styling suggestions, which, although we’re total body-type opposites, I would do, as well.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Hey Jill!
      When you have something slouchy on the bottom, it can help to have a more structured piece up top…such as the leather jacket like the top photo shows, or more of a “shrunken” denim jacket, if that’s your thing. If you have Pinterest, try searching for “Sweatpants outfits – dressy” and you’ll find a few options. But you’re doing everything right!

4. suz says:

Have the adidas ones, (highly recommend) and though I never wear them out intentionally, they make me feel sorta put together when dog walking. It’s the stripes – they somehow class them up.

I love the look in the first pic, but they just scream pj pants to me – on me.

5. Dana D says:

LOL velour.

My 22 year old son has scouted for retro velour track suits in his thrifting and now rocks them. He has a pair with rainbow trim that are the bomb. When he turns around I half expect to see the word “Juicy” emblazoned on his backside!

6. Francine says:

First sneakers, then flats and now sweatpants. Oh golly. Let me preface this comment with an “I love you, I love this blog, I love your readers.” But, I do not love this post!

When I first started working from a home office – probably 14 years ago – my VP at the time (one of the few women VPs at IBM)gave me great advice. “When you work from home, wear something with zippers. No elastic waistbands.” Best advice ever.

• Mimi says:

I totally agree. Granted I’m obsessive about my weight, but I’ve always felt that elatic waists and especially sweatpants were the devil. There are other comfortable pants that look better.

7. Kathi says:

What a timely post!! These options will help me find and style the perfect pair to wear during an upcoming lengthy plane travel day. You rock, Kim!!

8. Mary Alice says:

I wish I could find a pair of sweatpants that didn’t look terrible on me, but that silhouette which tapers down to a tight ankle makes me look like a turnip. The silky ones are better because of the drape, but still not the best look.

9. Mary Alice says:

Also I just can’t really bring myself to wear sweatpants in public, any time I try I always feel as thought I might as well hang a sign around my neck saying “I HAVE GIVEN UP”.

• Francine says:

I think it was season 3 of Project Runway…Laura Bennett, then a mother of 5, said “It’s a slippery slope into sweatpants and minivan.”

10. MeezStephanie says:

I’ve wanted to try sweats myself but I can’t find the right ones. have you see the Kit and Ace knit pants? They don’t call them sweats but they are! This is one style that looks versatile https://www.kitandace.com/ca/en/Women/p/Mulberry-Pant/KW201013?color=KW201013-10078

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Those are cute and don’t really look all that different from a pair of jersey pants. I’d defy anyone to tell the difference if they were worn styled!

11. EW says:

how apropos, I was just thinking recently ..”I wish I could find a pair of ‘dress’ sweatpants!” ….for traveling and stuff. I got a pair of under armor loose -tapered black in a slinky fabric and took a sharpie and blacked out the big UA so they look less sporty. machine wash/dry, not cotton so they won’t wear/stretch out/fade
    they go with a long sleeve silk black tee shirt…throw in a jacket and chan luu scarf, with some suede pull on platform sneakers and I’m plane ready

12. Jen says:

I dare not venture down this path.

I love my sweats, but only at home. I dont think it’s my most flattering look, tho I will wear them to a pedi or just to run to the grocery store, as long as my butt is covered. I’m partial to something with a little “oomph” to the fabric, so I like the Adidas, and the Outdoor Voices. I have camo ones I only wear at home (and my husband hates them!), and a pair of button-front black ones very similar to the Sincerely Jules. Maybe I’ll give styling them a go.

14. Lorange says:

I have a psychological block on wearing these out of the house. I love the streetwear look on other people but I just don’t think it’s for me. And that is a-ok!

Kim, given your penchant for the slouchy pant, have you looked at any drop crotch sweats, like these? https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/womens-ua-modal-tapered-slouch-pants/pid1318415-035

I love sweatpants with a stripe down the leg–graphic and sporty.

15. Sally says:

why oh why doesn’t OV make cropped or petite versions of those lovely sweats? they are so hip, it doesn’t make sense

16. Sarah says:

Ugh, the PE Nation are so good! Looks like I can cross off $200 sweatpants from my bucket list.

17. Maggie says:

As much as I live in sweats at home, I’m reminded of Fran Lebowitz’s great interview in ELLE when she spoke about bedhead and yoga pants: “You need more natural beauty to get away with things like that. Most people just aren’t good looking enough to wear what they have on.” Harsh, but if you are actually into fashion, kind of true!

• Maggie says:

Wait, let me rephrase that in light of the flats (which I live in) post comments. Not necessarily “true,” but a statement from Lebowitz that has stuck with me and changed the way I personally think about some of my former choices.

18. JSL says:

Silk sweatpants are my thing. I have two pairs, as well as a crepe pair and I wear them to work all the time. With some keels, a formal blouse and a cardigan/fine knit sweater they look very chic, while being so comfy.

Normal sweats though? No, not for me.