Saturday 24th February 2018

A whopping 21 striped sweaters

vince striped sweater

I tried to do a post on striped sweaters last year at around this time, but it was really boring—just blue-and-white striped sweater after blue-and-white striped sweater—so I never ran it. This time around, I was delighted to find almost too many good variations on the theme. Which is nice, because stripes are the easiest print to wear, and play really nicely with other prints if you’re into a matchy-clashy thing. This first one is pretty straightforward: a ribbed mock turtleneck with nice long sleeves.

jw anderson sweater

The rainbow stripes here are just so damn cheery.

mango striped sweater

I like the drop shoulders on this well-priced option.

halogen striped sweater

Striped cardigans aren’t the easiest thing to find, for some reason, and this one, too, is very well-priced.

eileen fisher striped sweater

I like the neckline here, and it’s a linen-cotton blend, which means it’ll be great through springtime.

lupfer striped sweater

The lips here are such a playful, graphic touch.

mango stripe pattern sweater

The pop of yellow here is delightfully unexpected.

6397 striped baja hoodie sweater

I adore this baja hoodie from 6397—such a streamlined, sophisticated take on the trend.

marc jacobs striped sweater

Pink and red are so good together, and I like the three-quarter sleeves.

james perse striped sweater

Meanwhile, grey and blue is a nice, subdued choice, and it’s cashmere, which is always lovely.

mango openwork striped sweater

So sportif and chic.

eloquii striped sweater

A nice crisp V-neck.

chinti and parker striped sweater

This one has a gold metallic stripe in the mix, which makes it pretty party-worthy.

stripe & stare striped sweater

A very traditional, nautical red and white choice.

velvet striped sweater

And of course you know how much I love red, white, and blue stripes.

vince fuzzy striped sweater

This fuzzy option is so adorably cozy.

bella freud striped sweater

I like the varying widths of the stripes here.

bella freud disco striped sweater

And I think this one is somehow really sophisticated.

isabel marant striped sweater

I like the subtle pink stripes on this one from Isabel Marant.

alc striped sweater

Black and yellow is always really striking.

asymmetrical striped sweater

And finally: a cool asymmetrical choice.

Here is a post I did on colorful sweaters a while back.

Posted on February 8th, 2018 19 Comments

1. Linden says:

Kids these days call baja hoodies “drug rugs.” My teenagers would be mortified if I wore one!

• c.w. says:

I can understand the “drug rug” reference as every stoner in Austin wore one in the sixties. Interesting how the drug reference has stuck to that particular article of clothing! Got to be a PhD dissertation in there somewhere.

Still, I’d wear this Baja Hoodie in a cannabis second and bah humbug to the teenagers!

• Viajera says:

That sounds like a good reason to do it? Turnabout is fair play, right?

• Mary Alice says:

How funny! I grew up on the Southern California beaches and every surfer dude I knew wore them…mostly bought in Ensenada or TJ.They were more associated with surf culture than stoner culture…although, come to think of it….

• Dana D says:

Ha! I grew up the same…

surfers, stoners…lol

I have an upscale ALC version bought second hand that I wear every time I go to the coast…

2. joannawnyc says:

Although I am generall unmoved, or on occasion actively repulsed, by red white and blue stripes, that Velvet sweater is really nice!

What a great selection. Love a stripped sweater as much as I do a stripped tee.

Got my eye on the red and white….

4. Heather says:

I’ve never found a striped sweater that met my two requirements: V-neck AND no white.

Someday…

5. Keirele says:

Very timely! Yesterday I noticed that I was one of 6 women wearing black and white stripes in the same small room. I need to up my stripes game.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Funny! It’s kind of the equivalent of being a New Yorker in all black back in the day (Is that still a big thing, Kim!)

6. Eloise says:

I (used to) really, really, really love pullover sweaters – the bigger, the bulkier, the better. Not so much anymore (or, perhaps I should say, sweaters don’t love me). Dare I ask how “Girls of a Certain Age” where them without melting????

7. Kate says:

IMO one needs to be a twig to carry horizontal stripes. MORE VERTICAL

8. Elle says:

Love stripes! These options are wonderful. Dying over the Bella Freud. Sigh

I couldn’t care less about stripes being a “no no” for my body type. I love them – they make me happy- they’re my signature. Rules, schmules!!!