Saturday 24th February 2018

18 cute pieces for you petite ladies

eileen fisher jacket

I know this petite-friendly post has been a long time in coming, and I apologize for the delay. I also promise that I will provide more, specific posts like this in the future, but for the first time around I thought I’d throw out pieces I like in every category (except dresses, which proved especially elusive). I was pleased to see that Eileen Fisher has a not-small petites selection, and very much like this vaguely sculptural stand-collar jacket.

J Crew popover

J. Crew has petites too, although not as many as perhaps they should (and why don’t they get on extended sizes already while they’re at it?). I think the gathering on this popover makes it nicely feminine.

halogen sweater

A very well-priced  V-neck cashmere sweater.

anthropologie jacket

This jacket is just a tiny bit twee, but I somehow really like it, and cropped styles like this are nice and elongating.

eileen fisher jacket

As you may recall from my post last week on colorful tops, I am loving yellow these days, which might explain why I’m very much a fan of this quilted jacket.

J Crew denim shirt

A good denim shirt is such a solid classic that I don’t know why I’ve never included it in any of my rundowns of the best classics to own.

spacedye cardigan

This spacedye sweater is quite Missoni-esque, but not nearly so pricey as Missoni.

anthro floral blouse

The pink flowers on this sweet blouse are really good.

flutter sleeve top

This flutter-sleeve top reminds me of Ulla Johnson, but—as with the above sweater—it’s a lot more reasonably priced.

eileen fisher top

A crisp white tunic with a hi-low hem comes in handy on those for days when you’re not at all interested in exposing your behind.

anthro striped tee

This striped tee comes in a few colorways, but I’m partial to the black and white.

J Crew blazer

Just a really well-cut blazer from J. Crew.

anthro button down

I am crazy for the color of this button down, and the barely-there print.

J Crew downtown field jacket

I was pleased to see that the Crew offers their downtown field jacket in petites.

J Crew leather leggings

Leather leggings that are pretty well-priced for leather leggings.

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 5.20.04 PM

And here’s a super-affordable pair of cigarette pants.

J Crew white jeans

White jeans in a nice slouchy boyfriend cut, just how I like them.

pilcro jeans

And finally: a pair of perfectly clean, un-distressed black jeans.

Posted on January 31st, 2018 21 Comments

1. Elisa says:

Have you noticed (I think you have, Kim) that Anthropologie has started having great clothes again? I had gone about two years without liking anything there and now more and more is appealing to me. They have a new designer, I think.

• Nicole says:

I have! And a lot of the dresses seem to run short (helpful, though that doesn’t always help the torso situation). But the petite dress offerings are good!

• Louise says:

When almost every other online retailer is scaling back Petites, they keep adding them. LOVE Anthro.

2. Dana D says:

I think it is really wonderful that you are including “every” body (size wise) in your posts…

3. Helen says:

Thank you for doing petites! Yes, dresses are really hard to find, which is unfortunate since they suit petite bodies by being more streamlined. FYI, a couple of links here don’t actually come in the petite size or possibly are sold out, but I just ordered the flutter-sleeve blouse in gold!

4. Nicole says:

Oh thank you for this! Anthro actually has a very decent petite offering of dresses. Boden, too. And Nordstrom. And Loft (though I’m anti-Loft these days, but every once in a while…). I struggle with JCrew petites. I feel like maybe they’re just not meant for my body type. However I did buy the field jacket, and it’s been my ride-or-die. Finally, I don’t need to cuff the sleeves. Very interested in those white jeans. Pants are a struggle for me. That’s why I buy dresses!

Thank you for this, Kim!

As a shorty I do have a tendency to stay away from anything too girly or fluttery as people automatically assume that you’re “delicate” because you’re small. It’s infuriating and something I’ve battled my whole life (which is probably something my therapist would bring up when talking about why I’m drawn to “muscular” sports like downhill skiing and surfing and long-distance biking!) So in my wardrobe I try to hit that balance of not too feminine and not too masculine. Most of these selections hit the mark perfectly!

6. joannawnyc says:

J Crew and Madewell both now carry jeans up to a 35 waist. It’s a start.

J Crew Factory goes up to a size 20, but they need to work on proportions.

Excellent suggestion! Despite my lack of height, I’m not really a petite (only in my torso), but these are great clothes!

7. Kathy O says:

Thanks for this. I did not know that Anthropologie had petites. Eddie Bauer has great selection of petites if you are looking for outdoor stuff.

8. GT says:

Thanks for thinking of us short folks, Kim. I find tops especially challenging and NEVER short enough when you are both: 1) petite; and 2) short-waisted. A lot of times, I just end up hemming stuff myself (even T-shirts!), because the longer length is so dumpy and unflattering.

• Achariya says:

I hear you about the short torso/short waist thing. It’s impossible to find correct proportions, especially in pants. High-waisted everything nowadays is a scourge, because it all ends up near my armpits. I want low-waisted pants back. Also I’d like to complain about bell bottoms or anything that isn’t skinny, eating up all my legs with wide swaths of fabric.

9. Achariya says:

I find that the best fit for my Asian body is Banana Republic petites — cut spare enough in the chest and shoulders that I don’t have to pretend I’m wearing a grown up’s shirt. And perhaps because I’m desperately un-chic, I find the styles just fine for work, especially the shirt dresses that are long enough to keep me warm in hockey rinks.

• Viajera says:

That reminds me, I used to shop BR petites for a friend at the holidays. Haven’t been in in a long time. (Their colors were too washed out for me, usually. I stopped going.) Maybe I will swing around next time I’m out.

10. Eloise says:

Should anyone petite happen to live in/near Annapolis, Maryland and be on the look out for long, bright (dare I say, Liberty-esque) cotton dresses – or be willing to take a gamble with mail order) check out Way Off the Beaten Path. It’s a very small shop owned/run by a mother/daughter combo who design the dresses. I’ve only met the mother – Angelique – but she’s great. And I’ve bought more than a week’s worth of dresses over the years, so come summer, I wear them EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.

11. Jo says:

YES to Eileen Fisher petites. All day every day.