Saturday 24th February 2018

(More) necklaces for that are excellent for layering

antler

The last time I did a post on layering necklaces was close to a year ago, so I figured it was time for a redo. In the winter I rely on my jewelry to endow me with a little touch of femininity, because I always dress so tomboyish when it gets cold. And I like wearing a few, even though I am endlessly tangling them, because it keeps things interesting. One of my favorite jewelry designers is James Colarusso, and I am dying for this elegant antler.

catbird necklace

Also on my very-much-wanted list: this cool pearl-and-gold number.

dana rebecca necklace

I love stars: they’re so graphic and appealing, and I always feel a little happier when I put one on.

sydney evan necklace

It’s never a bad idea to throw an evil eye into the mix, and I really like the placement of the eensy diamond on this one.

gorjana necklace

This one does a bit of the layering for you, and it’s well-priced.

catbird necklace1

A cluster of black diamonds is pretty glam.

jennifer meyer necklace

This turquoise-and-diamond flower is delicate and sweet.

cloverpost necklace

A simple pearl would make a great starter layer, if you’re new to this.

garnet cage necklace

Such a fantastic claw setting on this garnet necklace.

ariel gordon necklace

And of course, a snake, because I love them.

Posted on January 26th, 2018 15 Comments

1. Krista Campbell says:

I seriously LOVE this post,and love them every time you do them. I have Andrea’s “The Cool Factor” and as you know she has a whole section on this…could I make a request? I know this won’t happen soon, but next time could you do a post with just silver? And maybe post a picture of a bunch of them mixed up together? Thanks!

• KimFrance says:

Will deliver you a post on silver necklaces sometime soon, Krista.

• Krista Campbell says:

OMG I am GEEKING out that you answered me back!!!Like many who read this blog I have been a fan for MANY years -not to make us sound old 🙂 From Sassy to Lucky to now…you know, I was recently cleaning out my office and found an old Lucky magazine (I have a bunch stored somewhere!)it had Carrie Underwood on the cover, and I sat down for a minute and flipped through it and so much of it was still totally relevant and inspiring! LOVE you! Thanks for getting back to me…I am an high school teacher marking exams today and you MADE MY DAY!!!

• Kim says:

I would also like to see a picture or something to give us some ideas on how to layer them. Thanks!!!

2. Nicole says:

Has anyone ever used a necklace separator to keep them from getting tangled? Or do you just deal with it? I am currently just dealing with it.

• Sammy says:

I just had to google “necklace separator.” How did I not know about this? Love being jolted by the creativity and inventiveness of others!

3. Genevieve says:

I would also love to see some pictures to suggest how to layer them. Love it on other people, never seem to be able to pull it off myself. Thank you!

I am looking for a layering necklace that I can personalize with my “One Word” for 2018… CONNECT. I attended an amazing weekend retreat with a bunch of badass women. We laughed, we cried, we did yoga, and we shared our stories with one another. It made me realize that I need a visual reminder of “my word” to keep it in the forefront of my mind.

5. Beth C. says:

So, question for all you fashionable ladies on here: how do you feel about mixing metals when layering jewelry, especially necklaces?

I kind of go back and forth, but sometimes I do like the look of especially silver and rose gold mixed together. I’m just wondering how others feel and if you do mix metals, do you have any basic guidelines while doing it?

• Lorange says:

My instinct is that you need at least three of whatever item it is (so 3 necklaces minimum). If I do metal mixing, I carry that through to the rest of the jewelry I wear too–so if I have rings on, there better be more than one metal, etc. I think something with a sparkly stone also makes metal mixing gel better for some reason.

6. marjorie says:

THANK YOU for this post!!! I am also super-into that garnet cage necklace — garnet is my birthstone and I hate it and who the hell knew there were beautiful GREEN garnets!?

7. Susan says:

Hi – I love this post and ALL of your ideas Kim! I have bought several things you recommended – most recently two fabulous Vince v-neck sweaters that are literally perfect. Regarding the necklace “tangle” issue – has anyone ever used one of these: https://www.strandalign.com ????
    I started getting emails from this site after I bought something somewhere else and am totally intrigued by the idea but haven’t yet tried it I have several necklaces but only wear them one at a time and keep wondering if this would work??
    Love the blog Kim!! THANKS for your great ideas, humor and advice!