Saturday 24th February 2018

17 Winter whites that feel right just about now

winter white

It has been dreadfully cold in New York—even the days that aren’t that bad are pretty awful—and it’s really beginning to affect my mood. This just about the time of the winter that I 1. Begin planning my annual trip to LA, and 2. Start wanting to wear winter whites, because they’re so fresh and even optimistic. I also like the way the woman pictured here is doing it, because it’s nicely sophisticated to mix in  a touch of print or color.

joseph sweater

This is just a good basic ribbed sweater, not too formfitting, which is how I like a ribbed sweater.

r13 boy skinny white jeans

Here is a great pair of (yes, super-pricey) R13 jeans that I like because they’re a good weight for winter and because they’re boyfriend-cut and I can’t bear skinny white jeans (and here is a white pair in extended sizes I like, as well as a cheaper—but not cheap—pair in straight sizes).

madewell sweater

Another ribbed sweater, but this one with a nice deep V-neck.

the great cardigan

I like that this sweater has that fun, fluffy business going on only in the front, which keeps it from being too bulky.

fleurette coat

A really lovely, well-cut coat that is less splurgetastic than it was, thanks to a nice markdown.

vince camuto cardigan

A long cardigan is always flattering.

brooklyn coat

How cute is this furry cropped number? I’d wear it layered over a hoodie.

joie jacket

This is a nice off-white shade that’d be desperately versatile.

AG sweater

I love the look of this simple, lightweight V-neck sweater.

zadig coat

So rock star glam I can scarcely stand it (here is something similar that I also like, and here is a quite fabulous longer version).

veronica beard moto jacket

This jacket is Veronica Beard so it isn’t cheap, but it’s so excellently put-together. I always get my puffers a size larger so I can layer something like this under them.

calson tunic sweater

This is well-priced and very throw-it-on-and-go.

The North Face vest

I think this vest would look great layered under a puffer, or even a tailored coat. Also, I like this super-cheap faux-shearling vest.

vince corduroys

I really want these slouchy corduroys.

kensie parka

I like the layered look here (and here is another white puffer I like).

Michael Stars coat

The tan on white is super-chic here.

free people teddy peacoat

And I’m crazy for the cozy look of this peacoat.

Posted on January 22nd, 2018 10 Comments

I love winter white and these are all outstanding choices. I’m leaning toward white in my wardrobe these days anyway. Those white cords are calling my name!

I don’t know if we already hashed this out … and I understand the aim behind it, which is laudable … still, I wonder if just saying “0 to ____” wouldn’t be easier. (And I don’t even know what people think the top size would be.) I can’t think of a neutral way to say what is trying to be said.

Just my opinion though, and I’m not upset about it.

Meanwhile, fluffy stuff!!!!! Yes yes yes.

• KimFrance says:

Viajera, forgive my denseness, but what are you referring to?

• EW says:

the phrase ‘extended sizes'(?) I think; at least that’s the best I could infer…

• Viajera says:

Hi, yes, sorry, the “straight” thing … it’s not a huge big deal though. I could be reading it wrong too. It looked to me as if that is meaning to say the “regular” or “traditional” sizes … from before women started wanting a larger range of sizes. (also sorry for the delay)

It’s hard though bc every line will have different sizes, and then you’ve got your 00’s and for all I know, negative sizing somewhere. Plus, of course, none of it means anything standardized. Being a spoiled American, I wish everyone would just use inches of finished garments. But, not holding my breath.

PS i love the new hearts!!! when did that happen?

3. Heather says:

But… but… it’s been freakishly *warm* in New York lately… as a winter-lover who loathed my years in LA, I wish the cold would come back!

4. Hick from Styx says:

This winter has been interesting. Now it’s slush. White doesn’t mix well with passing cars.

Spring is coming in a few months. Okay, several months. We’re not even half-way done the longest season here. Yep, it’s an interesting season

5. S. says:

That fabulous rock star glam coat is so the-me-I-want-to-be I can’t stand it.

6. Rebecca D. says: