Saturday 24th February 2018

Monday links

• These pictures of women’s marches on every continent might make you a little verklempt. Also, did you march? Please tell me all about it. (NY Times)
  • And here and here are some of the most notable signs from those marches. (Daily Mail, The Cut)
  • These miniature paintings on tea bags by artist Ruby Silvious are really quite beautiful.
  • I enjoyed this rundown of the 50 most definitive family TV shows, although I would have ranked Friday Night Lights a lot higher. (Vulture)
  • Here are four new songs from Yo La Tengo’s new album, There’s a Riot Going On, which is due out in March.

Posted on January 22nd, 2018 15 Comments

1. Emily M. says:

I was there, in Philadelphia! It was inspiring.

I marched in Austin (even though we weren’t an “official” venue––long story). Not as many as last year since many Austin women went to Dallas and Houston for the “official” marches, but many, many more men this year which was encouraging. Even though I’m still dealing with pulled back muscles I felt I needed to be there and was so glad I did.

My favorite sign (don’t know what city) is the little girl holding a sign that said: I’m also 6’3″ and 239 lbs.

Love the tea bag paintings. Always a fan of Yo La Tengo. And, of course, Friday Night Lights should be ranked higher!!

3. Dana D says:

Thank you for links, again. They’re always so good.

Marched in Sacramento. Can’t figure out why these marches are controversial for some women. They offer us community, an opportunity to buoy those amongst us who are rising, and they are 100 percent non-violent.

(and yes, c.w., many more men and children this year…)

4. gk2829 says:

As a fellow marcher, the link to the New York Times article on the protests from all over the world made me cry a bucket of tears. There is power in sisterhood and I hope these activities turn into electoral victories in 2019 and beyond.

5. Jasmine says:

Yes! We marched here in Toronto at a very well organized, hugely inspiring event! I knit Missoni-esque pussy hats, one for my friend and one for myself. We’re all fired up now to continue the fight and the resistance.

6. Mary Alice says:

My two daughters and I marched in Los Angeles (as we did last year) and it was so fantastic and uplifting. They were projecting 200,000 and over 500,000 showed up! It was a beautiful day in every sense of the word.

7. jhops says:

I marched in LA with my husband & 4 y.o. son. My favorite sign said “If I declare my uterus is a corporation, will you stop trying to regulate it?”

8. Lauren says:

I marched in NYC and was so happy to see the mix of humans joining. The fact that there are so many issues for us to focus our energy had me worried at first that messages might trip all over themselves, but that wasn’t a problem because the message overall (no matter what the cause people were joining their voice for) was and is respect. And that is something the man in office now summarily ignores on all fronts. The hundred-thousand-plus crowd in New York City on Sunday was astounding and the photos in the TImes of global marches brought tears (I see you Sandy Cove, Canada)

9. Bex says:

I marched in Chicago, where we had 50K MORE people than last year. I was so proud of my city. The best sign I saw was, “We are the witches you couldn’t burn.”

10. rachel says:

I marched with my daughter in New York City. Unbelievably moving. Great signs. some of my favorites were;

“I’m doing Kegels right now”
    #Keep it Tight
    #Stronger Together

and

Alexa
    Stop
    Trump

11. Paige says:

my got, Fletcher, and I joined 5000-10,000 amazing folks in Charlotte, NC. I did the March last year as well. It is such a great feeling to be among like minded people. My favorite sign said “My outrage won’t fit on this sign”.

12. y.k. says:

one of my favorite signs-
    Anything you can do, I can do bleeding.

The tea bag paintings are beautiful. she has an amazing instagram too.