Saturday 24th February 2018

Taking requests: The home office

celine desk—DWR

I work at my kitchen table, sitting on one of my not-especially-ergonomic dining chairs, and the fact that a few of you wrote in wanting a post on items for the home office just made me start thinking again about how I must at last clean out my extra bedroom (which currently functions as a storage facility) and turn it into a real place to work at home. If I ever do accomplish such a thing, I’d love a desk just like this one.

west elm desk

Here’s a cheaper option I also like.

loring writing desk target

And here’s one that’s cheaper still.

aeron chair

When I last worked in an office, I had an Aeron chair, and I just might splurge on one if my home office dream ever becomes a reality—they really are quite comfortable, for office chairs.

west elm office chair

But I also quite like this cheaper choice.

target desk chair

And this one too.

desk lamp

The poppy yellow of this desk lamp is just so good.

utensilo

We had Vitra’s Uten.silo hanging storage unit in my house growing up, and I have wanted my own version for ages. So timeless.

power strip

This power strip is so much more attractive than what I currently have.

pencil cup

I like a few bright accents in an office, which is why I’m a fan of this vivid orange pencil cup.

lacroix sticky notes

These neon Christian Lacroix sticky notes are by no means necessary, but still quite fabulous.

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 12.21.13 PM

This magnetic tower is a cool way to store paper clips.

leather folder

And this leather manila folder just seems like it would come in very handy, and is so chic.

flip clock

I love the idea of an old-school flip clock—so delightfully analog.

small tray

A small tray for your whatnots that comes in a vast variety of colors.

Posted on January 19th, 2018 15 Comments

1. Thank you for this post, I was one of the people requesting for home office design items. I pretty much love everything you listed, especially the wall organizing unit. Genius!

I, too, need to clear out the space I have designated as my home office so hopefully this inspiration is the kick in the pants I so badly need.

2. Trixie says:

I bought an Aeron chair eleven years ago and it’s the best purchase I’ve ever made. It’s done wonders for my lower back. The cheaper versions lack the details like the moveable arms (which can help prevent shoulder and neck issues) or they’re too squishy and cause my lower back to pretzel. I know they’re very pricey, but I do have friends who have bought refurbished ones for a lot less and been very happy.

3. Shannon says:

Nice to know there are more Christian Lacroix paper products out there! I’m a sucker for a beautiful journal, notepad and even sticky note.

4. Karin says:

would also recommend a standing desk option. I have the Varidesk in white which is an aesthetic choice but comes in other finishes. It allows you to mix it up so it’s neither one or the other all the time & takes pressure off your back. Also use an OBall behind my lower back to maintain proper posture

It all helps!

5. Tricia says:

The target desk is pretty fantastic for the price. I have one with a refurbished Aeron chair and I can’t complain.

6. maggie says:

If you had the Vitra hanging storage unit growing up you probably had a cool mom who made pottery and wore clogs and spoke French and I was jealous of you.There was a whole neighborhood of moms like that in Hollin Hills, in Alexandria, Virginia. Mine was not among them.

In other news: I WANT THIS DESK WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING: https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod280189&categoryId=cat520016

7. Barbara says:

First thing I bought when I launched my business in 2001 was that Aeron chair, which I am sitting in right now. Zero regrets. Added a Cubii elliptical under the desk though it’s often more a footrest than an elliptical!

8. joannawnyc says:

I am envious of anyone who can work at a kitchen table and do without an Aeron chair, but I am ergonomic design dependent. I’ve had mine since 2000 and even had everything replaced under warranty about 5 years ago.

I have a leaning desk from Crate & Barrel and a work table made from a solid-core door via Home Depot and 2 of those Elfa drawer things. Great if you want a big flat area.

I am also a big advocate of corkboards and those little plastic desktop drawer units.

I have had a workspace of my own since before I got married (so over 30 years) and I recommend it for everyone!

9. merle says:

I know someone selling an Aeron chair quite inexpensively.
    He bought it for our office and then we moved…5 years old, maybe and pretty perfect. Fulton Street area.

Late to the party, but I’m a sucker for home office anything. I recently pulled my lower back out by sneezing, yes, sneezing so have been working at my kitchen counter standing up. I like it. Am now contemplating something more un-kitchen-counter like to use more often. Aeron chairs are perfect.

Side note: a dr friend told me a common reason for herniated discs is sneezing. PROTECT YOUR LOWER BACK!!!

• Heather says:

Feel better! I recently sprained the s**t out of my ankle… walking out my front door. And I’m a hiker and backpacker.

Everyday life: it’s a hazard!

11. Claire says:

I live for unnecessary stationery (those sticky notes need to be on my desk right now), and as of today, I live for coveting that brown desk chair. It’s STUNNING.

12. ljchicago says:

I can’t get over the beauty of that power strip.

13. Rachel says:

I had to pass on my aeron chair; I found that the seat-border was impinging on my hamstrings and was messing with my nerves. (In other words, something that wouldn’t have been a problem if I was not a Girl of a Certain Age.)

Due to the hamstring issues, I needed to stand up. I bought a BDI glass-topped standing desk which was a splurge but I expect the Price Per Use to work out well. I love its simplicity.