Saturday 24th February 2018

Things I bought, things I want: winter doldrums edition

nili lotan tel aviv jeans

I don’t make New Year’s resolutions—they’re just a recipe for disappointment—but I have made a decision to continue to shop significantly less this year, and so far I’ve been pretty good. Still, these Nili Lotan jeans were too good a deal to pass up, if still not especially cheap.

veronica beard scarf

There is a very good sale going on right now at Veronica Beard—you can get one of their excellent Dickey blazers for less than $200, which is a pretty steep markdown. I think I’m definitely going for this silk and cashmere camo-print scarf, although I haven’t pulled the trigger just yet.
Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 3.31.34 PM

There’s a good sale at Clare V too; that’s where I saw this rather excellent shearling foldover clutch nicely marked down. If you’re a fan of a bright, poppy handbag, do check out that sale.

equipment slim signature blouse

Just a really, really good leopard print silk shirt which would look great with one of the V-neck sweaters I posted yesterday.

needle & thread hoodie

There are two splurgy hoodies I’m most likely not going to buy in this post today, and the first one is this cutie with embroidery. It might be a little on the crazy side, but I like that about it.

amuse society weekender

I don’t need another weekender, but if I did, I’d definitely buy this one.

water filter

I drink a ton of water, which I order in cases from Fresh Direct, and the wastefulness of that is starting to get to me (I do recycle, but still). So I’m thinking it would be a good idea to join the 21st century and get a water filter, and this one is just so simple and lovely.

sacai hoodie

Another hoodie, this one the platonic ideal of  a hoodie: it’s just so damn polished and elegant even.

madewell track trousers

And finally: These velvet track trousers look perfect for lounging around at home.

Posted on January 17th, 2018 18 Comments

1. Dana D says:

Cute stuff…good luck with your plan to shop less. It’s an ongoing struggle for me…

On the water filter note, and if space is an issue, I’m a fan of the Morihata Binchotan charcoal sticks that are placed in a glass pitcher. Economical, simple and lovely, all at the same time.

2. Eloise says:

I think I saw that overnight bag on the shoulder of someone at the Worls Trade Center station last night – I literally stoped shirt and spun my head around!!

3. joannawnyc says:

Googling to see if the Amuse Society bag comes in sizes other than “running away from home” reveals that they have a lot of cute tote bag designs!

The back of that Sacai hoodie is where all the money went.

That camo scarf is totally you!

Those velvet track pants are the perfect thing to pull on over exercise leggings so you can stop at the grocery store on your way home from the studio. Or, if you work at home a step-up from the usual sweat pants. I’m purchasing less this year as well so I can spend more on fewer items I really want.

• Nicole says:

I have the Madewell regular track pants, which I adore. So, the velvet ones seem like a no-brainer. I do wish I’d sized down in them, because mine look more harem pants than track pants.

5. therealblonde says:

Ha, I just bought that Equipment shirt on sale (60% off!). It had been on my wishlist forever! Great to layer underneath warm cardigans.

6. Anne says:

Am also on the shop less bandwagon, mostly because we have a bunch of stuff we need to do to our house this year. Love that hoodie though and so glad that it is so out of my price range that I will only admire it from afar.

Great selection as always!

7. Paisley says:

Do you really think recycling plastic bottles and the cardboard boxes they come in are an effective answer to our garbage problem? It’s a rhetorical question–the answer is no. Our trash does not disappear once we throw it in the recycling bin. New York has good, clean tap water, but if you don’t trust it, I urge you to invest in that filtering jar.

8. nicole l says:

I’d suggest you get a water filter installed off your kitchen sink line. It’s a one-time investment of a few hundred that will pay off in spades. The filter needs changing only once a year and it will truly scrub your tap water clean of chemicals and metals not only for drinking but for cooking, too. It’s great.

9. Lorange says:

I get the visual appeal of the filter, but it looks like a pain to fill? Do you prefer your water room temp?

(There are pics for how to fill it here. Filter has to be bought separately. http://www.walterfilter.com/shop/painted-walter)

If you go for an inline filter, the Wirecutter has a good guide: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-under-sink-water-filter/. They have a good guide for filter pitchers too: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-water-filter-pitcher/

Oh how I wish I could get a Clare V bag or a sexy leopard silk shirt instead of paying for boatloads of medical tests right now! Just feeling sorry for myself tonight. I’ll be less whiney tomorrow.

• Dana D says:

This puts it all in perspective, Mama V…I am sorry!

You can whine…cry, feel sorry for yourself…

Just get better.

11. Grenadine says:

Hello Kim, I am a longtime reader but haven’t posted here in awhile. I just wanted to let you know that the post from a week or two ago about how to dress when the weather is super cold was one of the most helpful posts I have ever read on a fashion blog! It totally changed my life! I am always cold and it really revolutionized how I think about dressing for super cold temps. It’s nice to realize that I can actually wear long underwear and not sacrifice looking decent – something I did not know was possible until that post. Thanks!!!!

12. Gillian says:

I love those Nili Lotan pants – how do they run? I find such a wide divergence in the sizing of jeans. I’m most often a 27 but sometimes I get sized up or down. Thanks!