Saturday 24th February 2018

The black sweater: 15 takes on a classic

nili lotan sweaterThere are few items as timeless and forever useful as a black sweater, and although I am making some effort to wear color close to my face, I don’t think I’ll ever quite give them up. They’re just too figure-flattering and easy. This is a splurgy cashmere option from Nili Lotan: I think the buttons at the shoulder are really chic.

vince sweater

Just a nice, heavy V-neck with ribbing that isn’t too tight, as ribbing so often is.

gia cardigan

A lightweight cashmere cardigan is such a good layering piece, and I like them slightly oversized (here is one that looks pretty good too, and is cheaper).

universal standard cape

This cape  sweater from Universal Standard is so good I wish it came in straight sizes, as I do so many pieces from Universal Standard. I heard a rumor that they are planning to do a capsule collection of straight sizes, but it’s totally unconfirm-able.

trouve sweaterI like how forgivingly cut this V-neck is—very good for camouflaging stomach junk.

other stories turtleneck

The side slits on this chunky turtleneck are a nice touch.

sundry sweater
This
 Bowie-esque lightning bolt is fun and graphic.

other stories mohair

This is made from a mohair blend, so it’s nice and fluffy.

eileen fisher sweater

There are subtle sequins on this Eileen Fisher option, which would look as nice with jeans as it would more dressed up.

halogen cardigan

A round-neck cardigan can skew a bit girly for my taste, but they’re really good with dresses.

brochu walker sweater

I’m afraid that this is only available in limited sizes, but it’s so graceful and sculptural (and comfortable-looking) that I had to include it.

free people sweater

Here is a really excellent big huggy choice.

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 12.43.47 PM

The lace detail here is so pretty, and even a little sexy.

topshop sweater

I like the slit detail at the arms here, and the price is quite nice.

Another big old V-neck suitable for the coldest of days.

Here is a post on black pieces under $100 that I wrote a while back.

Posted on January 16th, 2018 25 Comments

1. Alix says:

I hope Universal Standard does NOT start making straight sizes — at least not until most of the other high-end designers start making size 16s.

• Kristin says:

I totally agree. It feels a bit mean spirited to think that, but there are so many things for women below size 12. So so so many things even though the majority of women are not below size 12 in the US. Can’t ladies who’ve had (and still have, frankly) such limited options have something just for them when so many things are just for slimmer ladies???

• ljchicago says:

What’s a straight size? I’ve never heard that before.

• Erica Winter says:

I totally understand your feeling. It wouldn’t bother me if they did, though, because I’d still rather buy from US than the others.

• Barbara says:

Have no knowledge of the Universal Standard “straight” size rumor, but I was told by one of the reps during their Chicago roadshow that they were looking at adding petite versions to some of their stuff. As a short, round woman, some of there stuff is unwearable for me, like the those awesome t shirt dresses that drag on the floor when I wear them!

2. Heather says:

Those Halogen 3/4 sleeve cardigans are the bomb.

I have a vintage Yves St Laurent black cashmere turtleneck that I have to repair every time I wear it, and I dread the day when it disintegrates completely. I’ve never seen anything that would quite replace it.

3. Alix says:

Am I the only one who misses morning links?

4. Emily says:

Love the Nili Lotan, but ordered the mohair instead. It is one degree here right now. I’m blaming the fact that I’m at my desk in my coat and scarf still for my lack of sweater-buying-willpower.

5. And . . . that lightning bolt just flew into my shopping cart

I love a black sweater even if my rapidly aging face does not! This is an excellent group, Kim! I do try to wear a scarf of one color or another next to my face when wearing black––seems to help if only in my imagination.

• S. says:

Right? I feel like black sweaters are a part of my identity, and I have so many, but all of a sudden I do not look ok in them. This is not as much of a woe as the hot flashes, but it’s definitely on my list of confounding aging-related bummers.

7. Bonnie says:

This is a fantastic grouping of black sweaters. I also enjoyed the sneak peak of bottoms that were paired with each one.

8. Sara says:

I read you blog all the time, and enjoy it thoroughly. I do have to say that the term “stomach junk” doesn’t sit well with me. I can’t help but bristle at the implication that it’s an accepted view that there are certain parts our bodies that should be hidden or camouflaged. I’m sure it’s your personal preference, but It feels regressive and out of character with your blogs effort to be body positive and inclusive of all sizes.

9. DeDe says:

That Nili sweater is super good! And only $400-something, instead of $800-something, which is really affordable for her! *mind boggles* I feel like Vince has perfected a neo-Nili vibe at a much less cringe-worthy pricepoint, so thanks for including one of their sweaters, too (incidently, my husband got me a Vince sweater you featured here for Christmas and it’s my new favorite!)

10. Erica Winter says:

I’m utterly obsessed with Universal Standard – so many beautiful pieces that are designed for bodies like mine and beautifully made. The customer service is topnotch too. I’m not normally a brand-loyal type, but without exception, every piece I’ve bought from them brings me joy. It’s about time!

• Barbara says:

Totally agree, Erica. I have several pieces that I am very happy with… and so easy to swap sizes if you order wrong.

• Kristin says:

I do love them. I went to their pop up here and watching the workers be so patient and loving with the women who were trying on super classy and well fitting and well made things by the armful and never rushing and running around to get different sizes and colors… it was so beautiful especially because a number of women I overheard saying that they had never been able to go into a store and do that before—try on super cool and well made items. Fan for life.