Saturday 20th January 2018

Week of requests: Things I would buy if price was no object

Saint Laurent le smoking jacket

“I’d love to see what you’d splurge on if you could go a price point or two over GOACA guidelines,” writes a reader named Julie, and if ever there was a post that could write itself, this would be it. I have an informal price limit here of $900, and try to keep most of the items I show much more affordable than that. I try to stick by even stricter guidelines in my personal life (not always successfully). But were I to take leave of my senses and go for whatever struck my fancy, I’d acquire a St. Laurent  Le Smoking jacket so fast it would make your head spin. I’ve wanted one for years.

Bottega Veneta bag

For days when I want to look especially polished, I’d buy a Bottega Veneta bag with a chain strap.

Zero + Maria Cornejo coat

And I’d definitely go for this Zero + Maria Cornejo shearling, which I have tried on and it is just the chicest, and so cozy.

Dries Van Noten dress

Back when I was a fancy editor in chief, I used to wear a lot of Dries Van Noten dresses, and if I still had a clothing allowance to play around with (yes, you read right: a clothing allowance, and it’s one of the few things I miss about my old life), I’d buy this little confection.

The Elder Statesman blanket

And why not a cashmere blanket from The Elder Statesman? So desperately luxe.

Ten Thousand Things necklace

I’d definitely indulge in something from Ten Thousand Things, my favorite jewelry line. This Tahitian pearl necklace is just glorious.

Ted Muehling earrings

I might also spring for a big, dramatic pair of Ted Meuhling hoops.

Fornasetti waste basket

If I had all the money in the world, I’d buy Fornasetti everything, and definitely this waste basket.

Posted on January 9th, 2018 20 Comments

1. y.k. says:

ha! that made me smile- Fornasetti everything.
    yikes that’s a pricey blankie!

i heartily endorse all your choices – especially Ted Muehling jewelry. i bought his chip earrings after seeing your post a while back& they really are perfection. every morning i consider other pairs, but come back to them.

2. DeDe says:

That Maria Cornejo shearling has been all over her Insta and it’s killing the living shit outta me. I mean, I personally would look like a Muppet in it, but it is 100% to die. Especially over Dries van Noten anything.

3. joannawnyc says:

The shearling coat is ON SALE!

Love a Dries print.

I fear EVERYTHING Fornasetti would be a wee bit twee but I understand the urge.

• DeDe says:

On sale…for 3,700 smackers!! 😂😭I mean I get why her stuff is so expensive, and it’s worth it if you can afford it, but WHY GOD.

4. Ashima says:

So Fun!!! I want it all. Thank you.

Speaking of purchasing your to-do-die-for…I did purchase the AllSaints leather jacket Kim showed us AND a second AllSaints leather jacket. Yes, the Bales Biker and the Cargo Biker thinking I would choose one over the other, but now I can’t decide. They are both snug––maybe room for the thinnest cashmere sweater/hoodie––they are both awesome. One is a little more biker/rocker chic than the other, but still…and usually I’m the most decisive person on the planet. Hive mind…I need help! (or should I keep them both)

I’m with DeDe…Dries van Noten anything…

• Viajera says:

Well. Ideally I would like to see them on. Just from the imagegoogling though, I’d vote for the Bales, but that is bc I am not a fan of quilting for some reason.

They are quite similar though, you can’t go wrong methinks.

• DeDe says:

They’re both really good, but I’m with V. The Bales seems just the eensiest bit chicer to me, for some reason – the collar, maybe? I dunno, but I feel like it gets that feminine/tough balance just right. Perfect for you.

• y.k. says:

i had to look up both -i would also vote for Bales. they’re both fabulous but i think the quilting might feel dated later.

6. Heather says:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pretty!

Kim, the Le Smoking jacket is to die. I wonder if it’s possible to find one on high-end consignment somewhere?

I love Tahitian pearls but the settings are usually so blingy. This is gorgeous.

7. Francine says:

Hi Kim,

Love this topic and all your amazing choices!

I’ve had a Balmain jacket on my wish list…

Honestly, it’s a work of art. But $2k? I can not.

May I ask you – and your readers – could there be a less expensive take on this??

• y.k. says:

i have been lusting after that very same jacket-
      i fell hard for it after seeing photo of Emanuele Alt wearing it. banana republic made a version of it a while ago- nice but didn’t have quite the sharpness.

8. Gables girl says:

Le Smoking. Le Sigh. So incredibly chic. My too-expensive buy would be a quilted Chanel bag. I just can’t bring myself to it. Instead I keep writing checks to non profits that help women.

9. Lisa says:

Nom.

Also I feel so selfishly affirmed as I carry one of two Bottega Veneta bags most of the time (albeit not so chic as that one with the chain!) and my best splurge of all my life was a Dries van Noten photoprint dress. Day to day your choices are a different palette than mine (mine’s cooler), a different silhouette (no skinny jeans here), and even a different vibe (I’ll never be your cool urban girl icon). But I do so enjoy knowing that we dress up the same way;). You’re a benchmark. But you knew that;).

10. Katrina says:

Oooooh, that Le Smoking is on my list, too. Or a Balmain. Or both, since price is no object!

I would also get a Bottega Veneta Cabas, those big woven totes. They are pieces of art, in my opinion, even in the regular (i.e. non-limited-edition) iterations.

11. karen says:

$1,400 for a garbage pail????? OMG….thanks for the laugh…..
    i saw it, i loved it, but i’m still laughing…..

12. Julie Tynion says:

Thank you, Kim, for answering my question! I love your choices, and will keep them in mind when my lottery ticket wins. YES to Dries. I have a dRies dress that I bought because I loved it, even though I wasn’t sure I’d have many occasions to wear it, and it turned out to be one of the most versatile things in my closet; a go-to, always makes me feel great dress. 🙂

Le Smoking – oh yes! A super high-end bag, Yup. Elder Statesman cashmere…sometimes I go into TIINA just to look. Can’t afford much in there! And I’ve always wanted those Ted Muehling earrings, ever since I worked for Bobbi Brown and she had them (Twinsies). 👯‍♀️

Now, I’ll go meditate and remind myself that envy is not an admired quality. 😉