Saturday 20th January 2018

Week of requests: Tops to wear under blazers

The Great top—tops

I’m continuing with the week of requests because last week was a short one, and there are still some fun queries to answer (and if you haven’t answered this question yet, please do so in the comments). A reader named Marisa wrote in to say that she’d like to see a post on “Work-appropriate tops to wear under blazers—preferably things that add a little color and personality without getting too Madonna “Express Yourself” (although I love that look—just not for work.)” I like the boldness and ease of this red choice.

Rebecca Minkoff top—tops

This is a tiny bit more Little House on the Prairie than I typically go, but I think all those pretty colors would look great peeking out from under a jacket.

Other Stories top—tops

A very feminine—yet still nicely streamlined—option.

Xirena top—tops

This smocked top has a lower neckline than other tops like it, which is a bit more flattering.

Other Stories top—tops

Such a very pretty blue.

Equipment top—tops

A black and white floral would be a nice, graphic touch.

LAgence top—tops

This has an eensy star print, which I love.

Rebecca Taylor top—tops

Another pretty floral, and one that would be especially good with a navy blazer, I’m thinking.

Cooper and Ella top—tops

This reminds me of a Maria Cornejo top I wear endlessly (and that I paid a lot more for).

Etoile Isabel Marant top—tops

The notion of a brown floral sounds kind of unappealing, and yet this could not be a whole lot cuter.

Joie top—tops

This, at first glance, might seem too casual and hippie girl for work, but it’s made of silk, which polishes things up a bit.

Tibi top—tops

True, this is on the pricey side, but I love the idea of the stripes peeking out at the cuff.

Wayf top—tops

A lace top that isn’t too fussy is a good thing.

Alice and Olivia top—tops

Yet again another floral, this one bright and poppy as can be.

Rebecca Minkoff top—tops

Don’t dismiss this cami as too bare—it’ll be under a jacket and nobody will be the wiser (if you still can’t quite imagine that, here’s a similar tee).

Michelle Mason top—tops

Just a vivid, gorgeous green—an underrated color, if you ask me.

Etoile Isabel Marant top—tops

I like the way collarless shirts look with blazers, and this is just so good.

Stateside top—tops

And finally: you can’t beat a good blue stripe.

Posted on January 8th, 2018 14 Comments

1. deenie says:

Love that first red blouse. Really feeling classic, blue-undertoned ruby reds (the orange-y doesn’t work for my coloring) these days.

Any suggestions for those of us with big biceps? Often a blazer will fit me except in the arms.

I want the green pants shown with the Isabel Marant blouses. I’m assuming the pants are also hers, but cruised her web site and didn’t see them.

I LOVED reading what people spent money on––so much to inspire! What a great group of women you have brought together, Kim.

3. Rebecca says:

I am sure that you have covered this before, but I am looking for a pair of jeans that are dressy enough to wear to a party (with a party in a top, of course..), but not more than $150 (which is $200 Canadian!). My most ass-flattering pair of jeans are boot cut, and looking very dated…

4. joannawnyc says:

I just can’t imagine wearing anything sleeveless right now! Even with a jacket over it.

5. Sara says:

I love love love that Joie top. And totally agree green is an underrated color.

6. elizabeth says:

I think the only thing about many of these tops that don’t work is that the full/ruffled/adorned sleeves won’t fit easily into a blazer jacket?

• Ktarty says:

I really can’t picture a lot of these being flattering under a blazer, especially the ones that are very full at the bottom (those with gathered plackets), unless the blazer is also rather oversized?

• Amanda says:

Agreed. Lots of pretty tops, but how do I get a belled/ruffled/floaty sleeve to sit comfortably in a blazer arm? I think some of the ruffled cuffs would look cute peeking out, though – like on the lace one.

• lesa says:

I was thinking the same thing. Flowy voluminous tops do not work well under blazers, in my experience. They hang weirdly and bunch up.

• Judy says:

Same here. I won’t buy those flowy tops anyway, because they make big busts look huge, but how the heck do they fit under a blazer?

• Stella says:

Was thinking same … would not stuff many under a blazer. Some are boob tents ⛺️ which add too much volume styled with a slim fitting blazer. Better on their own. I like sleeveless under a blazer or if long sleeved a more fluid fabric…not cotton.