Saturday 20th January 2018

Top 5 of the week: Some very pretty candles

I have no idea what the scent of any of these is like; I chose them on the basis of aesthetics alone. And I just think this is sweet.

This is from Astier de Villatte, and boy is it not cheap, but it is too gorgeous.

A dramatic and at the same time quite subdued choice.

This comes in a variety of colors, but the poppy red really appeals.

A subtly elegant option.

Posted on December 14th, 2017 10 Comments

1. DeDe says:

My fave is the Astier de Villatte. OF COURSE.

2. y.k. says:

i love all your picks. they’re all on the other end of the spectrum from Yankee Candle.

• Jennifer says:

Oh yes! I live in Yankee Candle country and it is just so not my thing. If I were going to buy a candle, these would be more like what I’d choose.

3. Heather says:

Question: Sometimes I hear the price of an insanely expensive candle be justified by the belief that one is really buying the vessel, which can be reused for pencils, or whatever. Which I want to believe… but how do people get all the wax out? When I experiment with this theory I find I’m always left with gross waxy soot that won’t budge and generally ruins whatever dish-brush I’m using on it as well… and that’s what keeps my candle purchases in the glass-cup-only range.

• Dana D says:

If the container can handle boiling water, I use that to get the wick thing out of the bottom. Then a run through the dishwasher.

That’s how I clean my empty Dyptique glass cups, don’t know if that would work for more delicate china-type vessels…

• Dana D says:

oops…

Diptyque, I mean…

(and I used to think they were expensive…but now, not so much…and visit the shop when in Paris…)

• c.w. says:

As to wax removal…you can use your blowdryer to heat up the wax, then newspaper to soak it up. After the wax is removed you can use a strong detergent (such as Dawn) to remove any remaining soot. If you use those little metal tea light thingys––those can be removed by putting the receptacle in the freezer––after an hour or so those puppies pop right out. (thank you, Martha Stewart––she may be a felon, but she’s a genius felon)

• Heather says:

Seriously, what’s a paltry $65 in candle-land these days? Awful, but true. The Bergen St. Diptyque is mere blocks from my house and… yep, it’s a dangerous place.

4. Bean says:

The red Nikko candle is striking, but in yellow it looks like a LEGO minifig head.

5. joannawnyc says:

lol about the Lego comment! Can’t unsee, but think it’s fab in the other colors.