Saturday 20th January 2018

It is officially hat season

I very much like hiding under a hat this time of year, especially on those daily early morning dog runs, when my hair is wild and bed-heady, and the notion of covering a sizable portion of my puffy, pre-makeup face under something wooly has a distinct appeal too. And I am crazy for Mischa Lampert’s splurgetastic hats; the combination of oversized pom-pom and thick wool is so winning—they’re warm as all get-out—and I think there’s something lively and unexpected about this color combination.

Albertus Swanpoel hat

I have a faux fur beanie much like this one and it is in near-constant rotation; it’s one of those rare items that I’m pretty sure makes me cuter.

Topshop hat

The red and grey here really works.

J. Crew hat

The striped pom-pom is a fun touch.

Missoni hat

Pretty well-priced for Missoni.

Eugenia Kim hood

This hood is stupidly pricey but so very genius.

Brixton Ashland hat

I love a fisherman’s cap; it’s very cool French girl.  (Here is one in black.)

J. Crew hat

Just a good solid basic black.

Missoni hat

Super-graphic and statement-y without being too much.

Posted on December 12th, 2017 15 Comments

1. Dianne says:

I have NEVER in my entire adult life found a hat that I think I look good in- yet, the search continues.

2. Heather says:

I tend to do a lot of cute earmuffs because my hair never recovers from the hat… I have to just commit to wearing the hat, even inside.

3. Liz says:

Love the first hat. You changed color in pic and link now works.

4. Jasmine says:

Love that you included Missoni’s take on the ‘pussy hat’ that was inspired by the hats from the Women’s Marches that they sent down the runway in their subsequent show. I’ve been meaning to hand-knit a Missoni pussy hat for myself–clearly it will be my project for over the holidays.

5. Candy says:

Love that hood, hate that price. Sigh.

6. jenny says:

I look horrible in hats even when I was young and cute, but now…ugh. I think it’s because I have a small head in proportion to my height. If I wear any hat, it has to have a brim, so I’m good in tropical climates, but sadly I live in chicago….

7. DeDe says:

I have a shitton of hats, and my favortie is probably my a Detacher Mandy one – that one that fits like a cloche and has the giant pompom things over the ears. In addition to being super warm, it looks ridiculous, which is vital for maintaining my sense of humor come the end of January.

8. Beth C. says:

So, I’ll throw this question to this very stylish group:

Does anyone know of a brand or brands that consistently make women’s hats in different sizes??

I have a huge head, apparently (7 3/4, XL usually), and I cannot find a non-knit, cute, WOMEN’s hat for winter. I’m tired of only wearing men’s hats and would love a cute, wool cloche or something like that.

I have been able to find a few brands that make their most basic, fedora-esque hats in larger sizes, but never the cute, more feminine ones.