Saturday 16th December 2017

Taking requests: What to sleep in?

Please forgive me, reader who wrote in requesting a post on sleepwear: I’m pretty sure I accidentally deleted your note. But I’m going ahead with the post anyway, because in all the five and a half years of doing this blog, I don’t think I’ve ever covered this topic. My taste in sleepwear depends on the season, but I always like a nice slinky nightgown like this—in the winter I just pull an old t-shirt over it for warmth. (Here it is in extended sizes.)

These pajamas look so soft and comfortable, and I like the kind of dirty lavender hue.

These striped pants are awfully cute.

I like how the plaid here is really subdued.

From Everlane: a sweet silk set.

This jumpsuit might be hell in the middle of the night when you have to go to the bathroom, but it is too adorable.

This black set is just as suitable for lounging as it is sleeping.

I’ll admit that this dress is not the sexiest, but it looks so cozy.

Now this is sexy, and pretty flattering too.

I like these PJs because they have stars on them.

This is LL Bean, and flannel, and maybe on the frumpy side but I’m a little obsessed with it.

And this is so pretty you might be tempted to wear it out of the house.

Posted on December 6th, 2017 39 Comments

1. Candy says:

Thank you thank you to both you and the reader who requested this. I needed better options for when guests stay over and because I’m tired of my drawer stuffed with ratty tees and stretched out pants. Wish the black loungewear set was still available.

2. Tammy says:

I wear Third Love bras and they’ve been a game-changer for me.

Third Love just came out with lounge wear and if the apparel is anywhere near as amazing as the company’s bras, I bet they’d be great sleepwear.

3. Gemma says:

I love a chemise for sleeping. I try to find cotton ones – my favorite is Hanro, it’s so comfortable and also sexy.

4. Dana D says:

That L.L. Bean nightgown is wonderful.

Flannel sleepwear brings back such wonderful childhood memories…

Does anyone else find that a gown ends up wrapped around the waist in the middle of the night?

I can only wear sleep pants–boxers in the summer–with a tank top. Night sweats are such a bother so only a tank works on top.

I love the Garnet Hill flannel pants-excellent quality-and just bought their winter plaid matching ones for self son daughter and partner for the holiday…it’s possible that I will be the only one excited about this.

• Viajera says:

You’re not alone – I don’t even like long pants for sleeping unless they are fitted at the bottom. It’s annoying when things move around and bunch up. Nighties look nice but I wouldn’t sleep in one either.

I’m going to check out those pjs you got.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

My BFF’s grandmother called long flannel nightgowns “neck warmers” because she said, “That’s where they always end up!” 😉

5. y.k. says:

remember that great song Business Time by Flight of the Conchords ?

Next thing you know we’re in the bedroom. You’re wearing that baggy old ugly t-shirt you got from your work several years ago.

that’s what i wear at night &that’s why i needed this post.

Since the fall of 1969 I’ve been wearing a plain t-shirt and bikini briefs to bed with a short foray obsession with Hanna Andersson P.J.’s when my kids were wearing Hanna Andersson P.J.’s. And the six winter’s I spent in Taos I wore silk long underwear to bed because the nights were so frigid!

These options you show are all wonderful. I’d probably never take off those plaid p.j.s

7. Summer says:

I have that LL Bean flannel nightgown and it’s wonderful! I absolutely love it and want to get one in a different color, probably the off-white. My husband says it is very Little House on the Prairie.

I sleep exclusively in cotton. Flannel in the winter (LL Bean’s pajama sets are the best, too). I have bought a couple of great cotton kaftans in India, and since I don’t have plans to go anytime soon, I found an etsy seller who makes them and ships from India. Highly recommend her — mommyrobeclothing on etsy!

8. Dorothy says:

I sleep naked as often as humanly possible and appreciate soft bedding against my skin. Even if I get in bed in something 100% cotton, soft and appealing- sometime during the night I invariably wriggle it off. I can’t stand seams, fasteners, sleeves of any kind and a waistband- forget it. In really cold weather I’ll shed my hanging out wear before I jump in to bed- maybe I’m nutty- but the sensation of cool sheets when I first get in to bed is a delicious reward after a long day and the bed warms up in no time!

9. Nicole says:

I tend to run hot, so anything with sleeves or pants, regardless of weather, is out of the question. But for adorable lounge wear – I love all of these!

Nordstrom has some really cute sets, that are very cozy & similar to the Eberjey, but less expensive:

But if you are of the XS size range, and short, you might end up dragging these on the floor. I just kinda hike them up high.

Speaking of LLBean, their slipper booties are my holy grail of slippers. And I harbor great love for the Little House on the Prairie style nightgowns. I just think I might sweat to death in my sleep, haha.

10. joannawnyc says:

As a girl I got one of those LL Bean/Lanz flannel nighties for Xmas every year (and so did my younger sisters, unless they were getting one of my hand-me-downs).

I finallys topped wearing them when I started having overnight company that found them unsexy. Now I prefer pajamas, ratty t-shirts and old yoga pants!

I have one nice pair of flannel bottoms and a not-too wrecked hoodie that I wear around company. For some reason, even though they are in theory very useful, I hate robes.

11. Kathy O says:

Thanks! I sent a couple of these to my boyfriend as Christmas gift hints.

12. Christine DiBona says:

I LOVE Domi sleepwear -http://sleepdomi.com

It’s amazingly light organic cotton, so you can be covered up (teenagers wandering the halls!) without wanting to tear it off in the middle of the night (thanks menopause!)

The sleeping tunic is my favorite

13. Nancy says:

I’m long-waisted and I didn’t like the cold gap that occurs for me between the top and bottom. I’ve had a couple of jumpsuits and they solve this problem brilliantly, but you do pay the price when going to the bathroom.

• Heather says:

Given how catatonic I generally am when I get up in the night to pee, I suspect the outcome would be bad if I were to sleep in a jumpsuit.

14. Nina says:

I too require all cotton; anything else makes me wake up in a puddle. Lately I’ve been fancy and have bought Hanro pajamas and chemises, on sale only because $$$$. There’s a great sale on their website now!

15. Lauren says:

I happened on the Ll bean nightgown a month or so ago and despite having never purchased such thing before, it’s become my new favorite thing

16. Jen says:

It’s striking, though, that you say you would wear a T-shirt over the sexy nightie. As all these examples show, it is weirdly difficult to find nightwear that is SHORT-SLEEVED. And I personally always find sleeveless/strappy too cold and long-sleeved too hot (especially w. night sweats! groan). Why is a short-sleeved nightie such a rare thing? Is that the true reason so many of us wear the old T-shirts?

I’m really needing something new because I live in my pj’s and right now that’s an old band tee and undies. I love the jersey sets and the plaid set, in theory (Heat attack!) Thanks for the hints about other options, ladies!

I see the LL Bean nightie as kind of “Moroccan grandmother” – and I LOVE it! ❤️

18. Liz Gregg says:

It’s me! I suggested you post about sleep-wear. AS I have aged, I really enjoy being both comfy and stylish. I’m upping my game!

19. Gables girl says:

Long gowns bunch. I wear flannel bottoms and t-shirts. Twenty seven years of marriage and the sexy stuff went out long ago:)

20. DeDe says:

Dude, you should just get that L.L. Bean nightgown. Every woman needs a frumpy-ass nightie to wear when she feels sick/depressed/cold/especially repulsed by Agent Orange, etc. and requires maximum physical and emotional comfort. Or just because she’s a grown-ass woman and she wears what she wants!

21. KHD says:

Summer: nothing
    Spring/Fall: ratty, flight-of-the-conchords-reference type tee
    Winter: The Sleep Shirt (pricey but worth it)

22. Mrsmeck says:

If you are a Girl of a Certain Age and get warm at night, I highly recommend the SOMA cool nights PJS. I will not wear anything else! Their little cami tops are awesome. I wear the short bottoms in the summer and long ones in the winter.

23. Kathy says:

Tank top and cotton underwear, NO side seams and the elastic has to be covered. The ones I wear have the side seams a couple of inches forward. My source for both is my beloved Target. From my teens to my early 30s I wore those flannel gowns–I had about 10, in all different patterns and colors. I actually finally got rid of them because folding them into my dresser used up SO MUCH real estate. I slept in t-shirtsfor years, and now since my ovaries have started setting me on fire a couple times a night, I can’t tolerate pants or sleeves of any length. It’s good to have actual jammies, though, to keep from scaring houseguests and neighbors when you wander around the house in the morning!

24. ManekiNeko says:

I sleep in exquisite ironed sheets which are changed twice a week when I am at home. When traveling I love the Universal Stamdard Black v-neck t-shirt dress to wear on the plane & if sharing a room. (The ironed sheets &twice weekly housekeeper are a guilty pleasure that only my mother knows about. )

25. Amy in StL says:

I sleep in nothing and have ever since moving out on my own. I have pjs that I wear when I have a guest over, but I don’t sleep well in anything because it tends to bunch and shift as I move. Also, why do so many models have gross misshapen feet? It always makes me a little nauseous to see long toes and odd shaped feet in pictures.

26. Aimee says:

It was me who requested! Thank you so much for the round-up, Kim! My torn boxer shorts and law school tee are en route to a better place and the dirty lavender set is heading for my doorstep! A couple of others might end up on the holiday gift wish list…