Saturday 16th December 2017

A party in a top, part 7

Nili Lotan blouse

I have described the concept of the party in a top many times, but for those of you who are just joining in: the notion came to me when I realized that at crowded  holiday parties, all anyone notices is what you’re wearing from the waist up, so that’s all you have to worry about. And since we’re headed into holiday party season—and also because I’ve received a couple of requests—it seemed like time to trot this post out again. I like the quiet sexiness of this silk tie-neck blouse from Nili Lotan.

Mango blouse

This is just rather elegant, and looks like it costs more than it does.

Veronica Beard blouse

Prints get graphic and sophisticated in black and white.

Mango blouse

I love a lace party top—they’re alluring without being overly revealing.

Universal Standard tee

The knot at the shoulder here is a fun touch.

Nili Lotan tank

I am dying for this zebra-print tank—it’d look so great peeking out from under a blazer.

The Lady & The Sailor tee

A simple tee in velour, which makes it party-worthy.

Current Elliott top

A velvet top with sleeves that are nicely—but not excessively—flouncy.

Zero + Maria Cornejo Lena top

Sometimes, a party in a top should be on the loud side.

Eloquii blouse

A tie-neck leopard-print blouse is just about perfect.

Ella Moss tee

I’ve seen a lot of these choker tees lately, and like this one best because the neckline is nice and deep.

Mackage leather top

For the daring: a leather top.

Ulla Johnson top

Yellow just screams party.

Posted on November 28th, 2017 18 Comments

1. Tammy says:

Party in a top ALWAYS one of my favorite posts, Kim. The loud piece is the cream of the crop.

2. Dana D says:

This is a great line-up! So many here that are fun and new. Ella Moss necklace top in my cart…

The best thing about this party season is that it means 2017 is coming to a close…

Party! Yes!

Since Austin fashion dictates “party wear” as a great top, jeans and great shoes this is a perfect pre-holiday post. And, since our high today is going to be 80 degrees with 92% humidity many of these tops are wearable even in our weather. Thank You!

Now I just have to find a party…..

4. Tamara WINAWER says:

Ok I’ve been seeing the choker tops and that is get first one I’ve liked oyyyyyy of course it’s on it’s way!!!

5. Mary Alice says:

I love your party in a top posts – I have explained the concept to both of my twenty-something daughters and we reference it when we’re shopping….I’m rather discouraged this time around, as all the tops I really like are either sold out or do not come in a size larger than 10…
    Keeping fingers crossed, s in past years you have done more than one party in a top post!

6. DeDe says:

That Maria Cornejo one tho! She’s absolutely killing it this season. Hopefully some of these pieces will still be available next time she does a big sale!!

7. Liz says:

I love the velvet tee. It also comes in a floral.

8. lorimac says:

By the way, if you are not a size 10 or less (or your bra size makes 10 or less a little tight), J.Jill has a similar black lace top in sizes beyond 10 (since Mango does not). Also it has a cute black lace skirt to add if the party will not be so crowded.

I love “party in a top”! I’m all about the fabrics: The satin, the lace and the velvet…all worn with jeans (and I prefer bare feet!)

10. ljchicago says:

I thought of this post when I bought my party in a top last month: http://www.bodenusa.com/en-us/womens-tops-t-shirts/3_4-sleeved-tops/j0029/womens-aurora-jersey-top

It’s pretty traditional but so am I.

I love the sleeveless black top you showed, Kim. I am pre-menopausal and always so damn hot!