Saturday 16th December 2017

What are you grateful for this year?

Gratitude is so important in everyday life—it has the power to improve your mood and more—so I try to practice it on the regular. But of course we pay special attention to it this time of year, so why not let’s all share (and let me know what you’re doing for the holiday—I’m curious). This year I’m very grateful I took up yoga and stuck with it, because it has definitely changed my life for the better. I’m also grateful to the usual suspects: my family for being there for me always, and for my friends for the same. I’m grateful I’m making tracks on my book. And I’m desperately grateful to Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, who broke the Harvey Weinstein story at the Times, and opened the floodgates. And also—as I am every year—I’m tremendously grateful to all GOACA readers who check in on the regular and make the comments such a pleasure to read every day.

Posted on November 22nd, 2017 59 Comments

1. Laura Jean says:

I am grateful for the creative community in Memphis that gives me the opportunity to collaborate with some pretty amazing people. And for GOACA, where I come with my coffee every morning. xo

2. Candy says:

So so grateful my family is all healthy, my daughter is pregnant, my wonderful friends are still my friends. Also, and I never thought I’d say this, grateful I’m no longer in a job where I was devalued and demeaned by an emotionally manipulative, tyrannical boss. Life is too short for that shit. And for GOACA, which every morning starts me off with inspiration, civility, humor and really cute stuff.

I plan to attempt a gluten-free cheesecake crust for a friend so she will have a dessert to eat. The plan is to use gluten-free cookies instead of graham crackers (which of course, one can also find GF …) The only issue is, the store was out of the regular GF ginger cookies so these ones have dried ginger bits in them. Which I hope will not singe or anything. (I don’t bake that often.)

I am grateful for my family and friends, like others. We are also so lucky to live in a mostly peaceful country. I hope it will turn out that we can keep it.

Also I am grateful for Kim’s hospitality, and you-all. I like it here!

• DeDe says:

My husband has celiac disease, and the holidays can really be a pain in the ass when you can’t eat gluten. Your friend is lucky to have you!!

• Tami says:

I am also attempting a gluten-free cheesecake crust for a friend of mine. I was thinking about taking gluten-free “Oreo” cookies, processing the hell out of the cookie part, adding a little butter as glue, and seeing what happens. I’m not a baker, not even close, so I hope this idea works!

• Candy says:

It should! I bake a lot. About 1 1/2 cups crushed GF cookie crumbs combined with 6 tablespoons of melted butter should do it. If you’re using GF sandwich cookies, use 4 tbsp. Mix with fork; should be moist enough to hold together when pressed into pan. Bake at 350 for about 10 min.

4. Alexa says:

I’m grateful for my husband and my child, and the health of my husband and child. And the comfortable home we live in. I’m grateful for my friends. Obvious, but so important. It’s good to be reminded not to take them for granted.

5. DeDe says:

I’m grateful I didn’t have to have a cervical exam at my physical yesterday.

6. kate says:

I am most grateful for my children who have had to weather a difficult year. My husband and I divorced after 21 years. But, have come out stronger and more content on the other side. All those in my vast support system….family and dear friends. And, my morning fix of GOACA also helped distract me in the best way. Happy Thanksgiving to all you “Girls”!

7. Bex says:

I’m grateful for the birth of my niece in June and I’m grateful that my 80-something dad made it through two knee replacement surgeries with no complications. He’s a tough old bird.

I’m grateful for my good health and the continued health of my family. I’m grateful I get to spend five and a half months near the beach. I’m deeply grateful for my children. I’m grateful for the GOACA community––Kim, you knock it out of the proverbial ballpark daily!––and along those lines I was so grateful to have the opportunity to meet in person Kim and Val this past summer––truly awesome women. And I’m grateful that we had the Obamas in the White House for eight years––what a dignified, gracious, generous couple. I’m so glad I was able to experience our country under his leadership.

And on a bizarre note…I was in the flagship Whole Foods yesterday which had a brand new HUGE Amazon kiosk right when you walk in the door. I tried to photograph it on my phone and could not do so. I was blocked. I suppose they do that so people can’t hack into the Amazon system, but it was soooooo Big Brother that I did my shopping as quickly as I could and skeedaddled outta there. Oy and Egad, eh?!?!

• Dana D says:

I suck at being grateful. Yet I acknowledge that just being a first-world person requires some thankfulness…

I’m also grateful for the Obamas…that I got to experience those 8 years.

I’m grateful for health, healthy/kind/loving son and daughter, loving partner (my own house, separate from loving partner), mother and brother, the dearest, truest friends and honest work.

I’m cooking for the first time in 15 years. Simple but true food that will be mostly local and I am HUGELY grateful for that.

I’m grateful that you asked this question. Thank you.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Awww…I’m so happy and thankful to have met you, cw! Count on more lunches and shopping trips next summer!

9. Tami says:

I’m grateful that my moms were able to leave their home Puerto Rico to come to our home in Connecticut for the last 5 weeks. I’m grateful to have electricity and power to share with them. Five weeks later, though, I’m grateful they went back!

10. Susanna says:

I’m grateful that my mother is still here and has most of her mind and an undaunted spirit even after two years being bedbound and in hospice. I’m grateful that I was able to be with my aunt, Mom’s baby sister, this past weekend in NY as she died peacefully in hospice in her own bed at home, surrounded by love, then drive down to my mom’s to comfort her and share Thanksgiving with her. I’m grateful for my cousin—we’re both only children and are like sisters—with whom I have shared this journey and who has supported me as I have supported her.

I realize this isn’t the happiest post, but I have to find gratitude where I can right now.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

So sorry, Susanna. I’m so glad you were there for the end, tho. I was there when my BFF passed in February and oddly, it’s a blessing to be present for someone you love.

11. Prof says:

Grateful to Rose McGowan and Ashley Judd for setting off a revolution that might improve the everyday lives of millions of women —- and the run-on effect for the whole world by making workplaces sites of equality. If half the population can concentrate on bringing their full attention and skills to the task at hand, can get respected and acknowledged for those skills, can be put in charge …. how much better will our world become?

12. DeDe says:

Ok serious this time: I am grateful that despite having fibro, I am in good health otherwise. I’m grateful for good doctors, a great therapist, the privilege of owning a home, good neighbors, a reliable car, cats who don’t hate each other, a really good relationship with my sister (who is my only remaining blood relative aside from a small handlful of people I haven’t seen since childhood)…hell, I’m grateful for my whole damn life. But most of all I’m grateful for my husband, who is already starting on Thanksgiving dinner because he is a fucking boss. (Tomorrow will be spent eating All the Foods in the comfort of our own home.)

And I am so grateful for you, Kim, and for all the GOACA ladies. A space like this is so rare on the internet. This is literally the only site I’ve found were you can throw the “Never read the comments” rule out the window. Civility and realness – actual realness, not realness as an excuse to be an asshole – are the essence of cool.

13. I am truly grateful for my husband, my dog, my sister and my parents. But I am profoundly grateful for my beautiful baby girl. After eight years of actively trying and encountering much heartache and pain throughout, I cannot believe I now have the most perfect daughter. I still pinch myself, especially when she lights up the room with her laughter and when she places her delicious smelling head in the crook of my neck.

My sister is hosting tomorrow and we are very excited for our first vegan Thanksgiving! She’s an amazing cook and the best hostess.

14. Jenniferbk says:

I am thankful for my dog who I rescued last December. I am 47 years old, and she’s my first dog. She has brought me such comfort and joy in this year that has left me reeling due to a double mastectomy and Trump and all the ugliness. I’ll never be without a dog again.

15. Mary Alice says:

I’m so grateful for my two beautiful, smart, accomplished and independent daughters who bring light to my life on a daily basis. And for my husband who love me for who I am and never tries to change me. And to my friends who have provided 40 years of laughter.

Tomorrow we continue our years-long tradition of Thanksgiving at Disneyland, followed by an elegant dinner out with family and friends, followed by NO CLEANUP! That’s how we roll 🙂

Have a wonderful day , everyone!

16. Tanya says:

I’m grateful for my husband who moved to Los Angeles from West Africa a year ago to start a life with me. We met when I was a Peace Corps volunteer and I had a million reasons that this wouldn’t work, which I shared with everyone, but here we are one year later. I cherish the warmth he has added to our household. I am grateful that my 87 year old mom remains in excellent health and has a bright outlook that improves the day of almost everyone she meets. I’m also grateful for my lovely childhood home that has provided a wonderful, peaceful place for us live. Lastly, I’m grateful for GOACA for bringing beauty and class into each weekday morning while I sit under fluorescent lights.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

My PCV in Colombia recently let me know that she’s been “dating” a Venezuelan guy (and I think it’s more than dating – I’ve never seen her look so happy!). I’m so glad that things can work out for a bi-cultural (?) couple in this age of mistrust of the foreigner. You give me hope! (And I could be jumping the gun, but I’ve heard a lot of stories like yours!)

17. Debra says:

Like Dana D., I suck at being grateful. I need to work on that. I love all you GOACA and your words have inspired me, so I’m going to give it a shot. I’m grateful to have a job that helps me keep my bills paid while not interfering too often with my rebellious introverted self. I’m thankful for my health as I draw nearer to the threshold of 60. I’m thankful 2017 is almost over. I’m happy that it looks like new job opportunities are opening up at my agency and that I have a good shot at moving into a new job that interests me without the hassles of having to move to a completely different company. I’m grateful that I found GOACA – it’s the ultimate tranquil AND stimulating meet-up spot on the web. I’m always a little grumpy when I can’t start my day with a visit here.

18. Bonnie says:

I am grateful for so many things. Instead of waiting for Thursday, my family and I have already started to share aloud what we are thankful for as soon as it pops into our head. I am especially grateful that yesterday I finished my 6th and final chemo treatment for breast cancer. Hallelujah! My husband and teenagers are making our Thanksgiving meal this year….perhaps the start of something new.

I’m so grateful for my husband, who really takes that “Through sickness and health” thing seriously, for sticking by me through a tough year. And for my grandkids who give me joy beyond what I could’ve ever expected.
    My three daughters for being such badass women who give me hope that this world can and WILL be a better place.

And to all of you GOACA’s for keeping me laughing, crying, and thinking during this shit-show of a year! Thank you, Kim, for creating something special. 🙂

20. Gables girl says:

Grateful for a twenty seven year marriage, no kids or parents (its all good). Four and half years alcohol free. Health, roof over our head, food on the table. But my dog…she makes it all worthwhile. My third Basset hound and I can’t imagine life without them.

21. Becky says:

I am overwhelmed with thankfulness – my brain functions and I am healthy which is all we need. But I also have a real hope now – because women are standing up to the slimy, abusive behavior of powerful men. Things are changing and I am beyond grateful.

22. Another Rebecca says:

I received a kidney transplant on Labor Day, and I’m overwhelmed with gratitude, even though I’ve had a host medical problems since. I’m also grateful for great medical care (and the insurance to pay for it), incredibly helpful retired parents, and a workplace that accommodated me needing to be out for two months.

23. Maggie says:

I’m thankful for my loud-mouthed, staunchly democratic family, which means no awkward holiday get togethers for us, and also for my two 8-month-old sister kittens, whose love for each other fills me with ridiculous amounts of glee every day. And for books, which have been and will be my means of escapism for the next (oh god let it be only) three years.

24. Lesley says:

Full of gratitude for just my good fortune, that I have continuing good health, and have had wonderful life circumstances that have brought my family and me on an adventure, which also has given us the gift of spending time with distant family, bonus time that none of us expected but all of us are supremely grateful for.

25. Melsybelsy says:

I’m grateful for the amazing life partner I chose who chose me too. Today is our 15th wedding anniversary 🙂

I’m grateful for the two adorable kids we have that beat to their own drums and do well in school because they love to learn. Right now, My 11 year old son is currently making an apple cobbler that will serve 13 people later today and my 8 year old daughter is watching the parade and building her 10’th lego dragon 🙂

I’m grateful that we live in my dream home (well, at least what I always dreamed of – even though I’m too busy to finish the decor and such)

I’m grateful that my work feeds my soul more than I’d ever imagine.

I’m grateful for the support of my extended family that I’ll be spending today with – all healthy, all happy.

Life is good. Thanks for this thread.

26. I’m grateful for so much; it has been a year of many blessings for my family.

But day by day, week by week, I am most grateful for my yoga practice and my “reading” practice and blogs like yours provide a lot of information and enjoyment to me.

So huge thanks!

27. Mae says:

I’m grateful I got to have a wonderful mother for 58 years. She passed away two weeks ago at the age of 92, after a happy, long life.

• DeDe says:

Oh Mae, I’m so sorry. It’s so hard to lose a loved one at the holidays. My grandma died on Christmas Eve a few years back, so I’ve been there. Regardless of how old they are when they pass, grief is grief. Lots of love to you.

28. lizzie says:

im grateful for being happy when I’m alone.

29. Susan Davis says:

I am grateful for my husband. I tell him often “The more I get to know men, the more I like YOU!’ (then we laugh) It is really quite miraculous that I managed to find someone who is so darn earnest. Clearly I “married up.” He gave me confidence that some men are genuinely decent human beings. I’ve been lucky.

30. y.k. says:

For a few reasons, I haven’t checked GOCA in the past few days. Very unlike me. So I’m late joining this wonderful post but I will add that I’m grateful for being an American, as hard – nay – infuriating- as it’s been this year. I live in South Korea & have a lot of expat friends – but I really love meeting Americans far away from home. As a whole, they’re the most friendly and open hearted.