Saturday 16th December 2017

It’ll be foul weather boot season before we know it

Seriously, do not delay in making a purchase if you’re in the market for this item, because if you wait until the first snowstorm, all the good ones will be sold out in your size. This, I have learned the hard way. Foul weather boots are one of the unsexiest necessities in existence, but they are crucial for getting through winter in many parts of this country. And they don’t have to be straight-up ugly: I think that this one is almost chic.

These are from Birkenstock, and I love how fluffy they are.

There are a lot of hiking boot-style options to choose from lately, and I like these because of the shearling and the cute laces. (Here’s a similar cheaper pair from J. Crew).

A lightweight sneaker-style boot that’d be perfect for those days when there’s a little snow on the ground but not too much.

A classic, heavy-duty Sorel boot can’t be beat.

This is just the cutest, and I want.

Moon Boots are rather ridiculous-looking, but something about them has always intrigued me—they do look an awful lot like something one would wear on interplanetary travels. (Here is a pair where the logo is less visible and without fur.)

A shearling-lined Chelsea boot: so adorable.

I rarely show any fur that isn’t faux, but I had to include a pair of Mukluks because I know how much some of you love  them.

Posted on November 21st, 2017 8 Comments

1. DeDe says:

Don’t feel bad about the Bean boots. I got a pair…oh I dunno, seven years ago, maybe? And I can tell you I fell on my ass in them all the time. The bottoms are not grippy at all in my experience, at least not on packed-down snow or ice. Also, my feet were *always* cold in them. They’re cute in that 70’s mom way, but imo totally not practical. And anyway, you found some great alternatives. I am also all heart-eye emoji-d over those adorable little shearling ones!

• Viajera says:

What you said! I was going to say, that what I’d reeeeally like is the weather that goes with those boots. I do remember what ice-falls felt like though. Ouch!!!

2. Tamara WINAWER says:

Thanks for the reminder! The LL Bean boots already backordered…

3. Hick from Styx says:

Right you are. There were zero boots left after November arrived in one discount store. I was there for ice cleats for walking my dog. Got some, wrong size, and now they’re all gone, too. The sidewalks are fine, but park walking is another story.

I bought my boots last year on your recommendation. They’re …..???? Some Canadian brand, and they’ve braved Montauk mush and Wisconsin white stuff and kept my tootsies toasty! I’m in a very alliterative mood 😉

5. Amanda says:

I bought these Sorel waterproof boots two weeks ago for Seattle winter and have worn them almost every day since. Super cute, comfortable, and totally incognito waterproof. Highly recommend.

6. Cora says:

Another vote for the Sorel boots: I’ve got just this pair two years ago and they are perfect for Winter walkies with the dogs. Good grip, even on ice, and very toasty feet.

7. Heather says:

I got these (or a version thereof) last year and they are great, both grippy and warm:

Moon Boots always make me think of Napoleon Dynamite! Not in a bad way.