Saturday 16th December 2017

My uniform at the moment

Really, this is a post on layering, because I’ve had a few requests for that, and I figured that the easiest way to show you how to do it is to show you how I do it. I’m still wearing a lot of button-down shirts these days, so I’ll start with one from  Xirena cause they’re nice and thin, which is essential when you’re layering under a sweater. This one has a cute red and blue stripe pattern, and it’s on sale too.

I am big into V-neck sweaters these days, and very much want this one from Vince.

I have been searching for a thin hoodie for a while now because I like wearing them under coats. After an exhaustive search, I found the ideal one: it’s from ATM and I especially like the shirttail hem. I sized up so it can fit over even bulky sweaters.

I have been wearing these pants nonstop: they are so comfortable and flattering.

Typically I wear a black Chan Luu scarf, but I just ordered this one and am excited for the little color injection it’s going to provide on days that I can’t be bothered.

I bought the cutest, cheapest shaggy faux fur cropped jacket a month or two ago at a boutique in the West Village and it’s sold out or I’d link to it, because it’s so good (check it out here) but this one is pretty good too.

My Officine Creative boots have become one of my smartest investments in some time—they’re tall enough to give you a little height, but at the same time quite walkable.

Posted on November 20th, 2017 15 Comments

1. DeDe says:

This is such a good post. I personally feel suffocated in many layers of things and try to wear as few items of clothing as I can get away with, but maybe because of that I find the whole process fascinating. It’s like, how many things can I fit on my torso at one time and still look chic, if not even chic-er? It’s magic.

• DeDe says:

PS, because someone is gonna ask: yes, Chan Luu scarves are worth the money. Seriously every freakin’ cent (unless you wear a lot of giant, snaggy earrings, but that’s an issue with a lot of scarves).

• Mary Alice says:

You got that right! I have a pale blue Chan Luu scarf that has more than paid for itself in terms of cost per wear. They are thin enough to stuff in a handbag and so warm when tucked into a neckline. Plus they come in the prettiest colors!

• c.w. says:

Dittoing the whole Chan Luu scarf thing. I LOVE mine and as Mary Alice says, they are thin enough to pack into my computer bag when I fly (if I’m not already wearing it). Mine is blue, but that pink one is such a lovely lovely color. Seems it would give some spark to a complexion, yes?

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Another voice adding to the yea’s. I’ve got one in pink that looks great with grey sweaters and a newer one in a deep burgundy that is so perfect for fall and basically every season! I can vouch for their lightweight quality…I’d overheat in a second if these were heavy. Totally worth it. Good work, Team GOACA! 😉

2. MP says:

Love this, but I get so cold I need a warmer outer layer for when I have to be out for long. Is this warm enough for you, Kim or what do you wear for when you walk the dogs for example?

• KimFrance says:

I have a Canada Goose parka that’s quite good when it’s really cold out, but I’m down on that company since I learned they’re owned by Mitt Romney. I also have a shearling coat from Zero + Maria Cornejo.

• DeDe says:

Canada Goose is owned by Mitt Romney, what??? *head explodes*
        (I don’t own any CG stuff but still.)

• c.w. says:

Mountain Hardwear, Marmot and Patagonia have reliably warm outerwear. Plus, Patagonia gives generously to wildlife and conservation entities.

• S. says:

Patagonia is also the only one whose entire line adheres to animal welfare standards specifying that the down is plucked from dead birds who haven’t been force fed for foie gras. Live plucking is torture, and force feeding speaks for itself.

The other brands might have some traceable down items, too. It’s worth asking about.

• Jenny says:

I find that dog and cat hair really sticks to my nice black Patagonia down coat. I never wear it now:(
            Any recs on coats without that very objectionable quality? (My hideous old brown North Face coat is great that way.)

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Oh oh! Do you think my husband will be upset if he comes home to find that his coat has been donated to the church rummage sale?!? Hashtag, Blameitonmenopause.

• Sarah says:

Well, Mitt Romney may have started Bain Capital years ago (which owns a 70% stake in Canada Goose), but he left in 2002. Canada Goose is, and always has been, made exclusively in Canada, supporting Canadian workers. I’d hold off on tossing those parkas just yet… 🙂

3. Mimi says:

I live in a ski resort in the Rocky Mountains and my warmest parkas by far are by Parajumpers. It’s an Italian company you can find in ski shops and sometimes at Bloomingdale’s. And they turn up on eBay! Their Masterpiece collection features classic designs they sell year after year. The first one I acquired, 7 years ago, still looks perfect (a Gobi bomber). I can’t vouch for the ethics of the company, only for their jackets being incredibly cozy, well made and stylish. They offer some styles with faux fur.

They also make beautiful shearlings.