Saturday 16th December 2017

Friday Links

Posted on November 17th, 2017 22 Comments

1. y.k. says:

o no is right. losing louis ck is one thing but i dont remember anyone else questioning sessions in the same dogged way.

• y.k. says:

hmm. maybe i should read my comment before posting. i meant to say that Franken is on the front line, grilling Sessions, so it hurts.

i don’t think of myself as a gen x-er. i remember reading Coupland ‘s book when it came out& thinking it was for my younger brother ‘s generation (2 years younger, o the hairs we split). but I’ve certainly never felt like a Boomer – which i think is the key characteristic of a Gen X-er.

2. Alix says:

Those Blake Shelton tweets are hysterical!

3. Rachael says:

A few years ago, I was at the LA photo fair (doing book signings! It was fun!) and they had a big show of the police archive. It was by far the most interesting thing at the fair. I would buy a book of that in a heartbeat.

• Mary Alice says:

They are from a book It’s called Scene of the Crime: Photos from the LAPD Archive. I have it, and it’s really interesting.

Blake Shelton vs Idris Elba. Yep. People got it sooooooooo wrong. The tweets are divine!

5. Julie Lee says:

Ughhhhhhhhh! Everyday I read the news and am disappointed by some man that I thought was a decent guy. It seems simple to me, keep your hands off of people unless given permission, keep your penis in your pants, and don’t rape. I have a son and it is my biggest mission to teach him how to be respectful of and value women.

6. Jen says:

The McSweeney’s is brilliant!

7. EW says:

re:McSweeney’s : Totally #7!!!!

8. S. says:

re: McSweeney’s:

9. You’re 50 and still underemployed, because Gen. Fucking. X.

17. Whatever.

Hot Flash.

9. S. says:

About Al Franken, though. Are we heading once again into the meadowlands of False Equivalence? (Thinking here of all the calls for his resignation, including in the NYT.) He did it once (so far as we know). He did it as a joke — it didn’t land because it was a bad joke — but he seems to have meant the picture as satire — satire of the sort of creepy dude who would grope a woman in her sleep. Again, it was badly done, but is satire really as bad as the real thing?

Basically, aren’t serial molesters and assaulters — the kind of men Franken was satirizing — Trump, Weinstein, Trump, Moore, and Trump — are apples to Franken’s oranges? Or am I missing something?

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Idk, S. I’m disappointed, but I don’t see that part as disturbing as the part about Franken grabbing Tweeden and shoving his tongue down her throat. That’s harder to come to terms with.

I’m technically a boomer, but I still loved the McSweeney’s…#6 and 15. Loved the Blake Shelton tweets!

• DeDe says:

Seconding this, Val. That part of it upsets me, too. I don’t think it’s a good idea just to dismiss it, as much as we need Franken right now. Talk about a lose-lose situation.

10. moi says:

This seems to be my mantra these days: 7. . . . “What the everloving fuck is going on with my neck?”

Suddenly, all these scarves don’t seem so stupid.

11. Gables girl says:

Ha Gen X-er alert! And I work on a college campus so I deal waaaay too much with these “kids.” Yesterday one of them called me “ma’am” and I almost lost my mind. The I remembered I’m as old as their parents.

12. DeDe says:

I’m only perimenopausal (yay?), but #2, 4, 11, and 17 already apply. Fuck.

Also, I was underemployed the entire time I worked, and every time I hear a millenial complain about how much it sucks that they’re 28 and not “successful” yet and *why* are they still working at the food co-op, life is so unfair, etc. etc., I have to take a deep breath and remind myself that eyerolling is a choice, because otherwise I might roll them so hard they’d get stuck.

• DeDe says:

Ok I have to add this:

CAGE THE ELEPHANT IS SUCH A STUPID FUCKING NAME ELEPHANTS SHOULDN’T BE IN A CAGE THEY SHOULD FUCKING ROAM FREE THE WAY NATURE INTENDED WITHOUT FEAR OF UNTIMELY GRUESOME DEATH FUCK TRUMP

13. Liz says:

I believe Gen X began in ’65 because the baby boom ended in ’64.

14. vishy says:

Gen X Menopause is all SO relatable, unfortunately.

15. Nina says:

FUCK I never knew I wouldn’t be able to drink/ this is bullshit- whatever hot flash