Saturday 16th December 2017

It might be time to pull the trigger on a plaid blazer

Farrow blazer

I like how Seventeen magazine back-to-school issue plaid blazers are: I didn’t own one then, though, and I still don’t, and I’m not sure why. I’m thinking one of the following might do the trick, starting with this particularly elegant specimen.

J. Crew blazer

I love houndstooth—done right, it can be so stylish—and this jacket gets it right.

Veronica Beard blazer

Herringbone isn’t really a plaid, but I always classify it as one (I realize this is arbitrary)and this blazer is just so sharp.

Evidnt blazer

Black and white with very subtle blue makes this windowpane plaid a rather winning proposition.

Smythe blazer

Another windowpane plaid, this one in chic camel, with excellent elbow patches.

Isabel Marant blazerThe colors here are just so damn good.

Kenneth Cole blazer

This one has a hoodie attached, which is nifty.

Posted on November 17th, 2017 13 Comments

1. Katrina says:

I live in a tropical country and have been eyeing plaid blazers for a month or so, and this post of yours is not helping. Haha. I already own a few blazers that I barely use and yet I am so tempted to get a plaid one.

2. Alix says:

How do people fit hoodies under blazers? Either the blazers are oversized or people are stuffed into their outfits like sausages, right?

3. KimFrance says:

The key is to find a nice, thin hoodie. This one from ATM isn’t cheap, but is so good.

Also, and this sounds a little obvious but still, never attempt the blazer-and-hoodie trick with an overly fitted blazer.

4. Tammy says:

Veronica Beard is a boss with doing the hoodie/blazer combo right! I need to find one second hand. LOVE that style.

I don’t wear blazers (they just never look “right” on me), but if I did and if I could wear the color camel I’d jump on the window pane camel one fast!

6. DeDe says:

That houndstooth one! Such excellent colors! And normally I reject velvet collars like that because they’re too Captain von Trapp for me, but it totally works here.

7. Dana says:

By far, the best investment piece I’ve purchased in the last year is my Glen Plaid blazer; it hits right below the butt, a super soft wool cashmere blend, and is slightly riding style. It looks great with skirts, the riding-ish pants I have and jeans. I like to pair it with a slightly clash-y print top and it always looks polished and cool for the days when I want to feel adult.

8. suz says:

Houndstooth. Pull that trigger. I have a grey-blue/black houndstooth that I have had since the 80s (vintage mens) that seriously has never gone out of style. Get one, hang onto it and wear it forever.

smartest purchase ever with my babysitting money.

9. moi says:

Some women have too many shoes, I have too many blazers. But, damn, that red Veronica Beard. That’s a style and color I don’t have and it’s just so cool!

10. Lynn in Tucson says:

I have a vintage Saks Fifth Ave wool/silk number that looks very much like that first one. I keep meaning to get rid of it (I let the pleat front skirt go long ago) but maybe I should have it altered instead.