Saturday 16th December 2017

All sorts of stripes for this time of year

Veronica Beard sweater

People tend to think of stripes as a summer/spring thing, but I like them all year long and maybe especially when it’s cold out, cause they’re a little more unexpected. Striped items are also quite good as layering pieces, as they add a little interest to an outfit. This sweater has a lot going on—the reversed-out sleeves, the gold buttons—but it all really works.

Cupcakes and Cashmere jacket

It is so tough to find a goodletterman jacket that doesn’t cost a fortune for some reason, but this one is—while not cheap—not crazy-pricey for what it is.

Mango sweater

I like the drop shoulders here.

Violeta button-down shirt

A red and white striped blouse looks so great peeking out from under a V-neck.

B.P. tee shirt

I always love black and white stripes—they’re so nice and graphic—and am pretty sure this would go into serious rotation were I to buy it, which I am considering.

The Great henley

I got this henley a while back and have been wearing it endlessly—it’s super-soft, and nicely oversized.

The Great striped dress

I might belt this dress—it could just hang there otherwise—and am pretty certain it’s the soul of comfort.

Splendid Seabound sweater

A striped hoodie sweater would look fantastic under a blazer.

Smythe blazer

Striped blazers are always so appealingly English schoolboy.

Perfect Moment ski jacket

This ski jacket is the very essence of sportif. Click through and check out the multicolored version too, cause it’s seriously cute.

Halogen V-neck sweater

This V-neck would be good with a matchy-clashy button-down underneath.

Mango sweater

This is just really French-looking and chic. And cheap!

Topshop t-shirt

I’d wear this tee with my bright fair-isle sweater.

Violeta sweater

This has barely-there metallic stripes, which is a cool touch.

James Perse sweater

This grey option is nicely understated.

Stateside t-shirt

Many crewneck tees are too high in the neck for me, but this one dips ever-so-slightly lower, which allows the collarbone to be visible. I have a thing about always showing my collarbone.

Karen Kane hoodie

I like the really fine stripes on this hoodie. Also, it looks quite cozy.

Posted on November 16th, 2017 7 Comments

I’ve always been a horizontal striped person, but Neiman’s Last Call sometimes has these crazy big deal sales and I purchased a vertical striped Public School blazer (originally $795 for $75.) that is probably several seasons old, but vertical stripes are kinda cool.

Love all these choices. The BP and the Splendid Seabound hoodie may have to be mine.

2. Rae says:

That ski jacket! It is everything the 80’s kid inside of me wants, especially with the matching ski pants which have stripes on the knees! I can’t decide which color-way I prefer as they are both perfect.

3. gk2829 says:

Thank you so much for the stripe round up but a passage from one your descriptions explains why I rarely see crew t shirts I like in your blog – “Many crewneck tees are too high in the neck for me, but this one dips ever-so-slightly lower, which allows the collarbone to be visible. I have a thing about always showing my collarbone.” Please show high crew necks more often please. Some of us like old school crew neck t shirts.

I liked the BP blue striped and the ski jackets too!

On this “sportif” thing … that reminded me of a question that arises every so often – how come fashion people seem to speak of American “sportswear” as a category … but I never hear about it coming from say, France? What is “sportswear” in fashion-ese? Bc it seems not to be actually sports-related. Is it some type of “colonial” insult? Not that I would give a hooey — no no, not me! – but, I *would* like to *know.* I would feel sorry if someone were insulting me and I didn’t even know! Though, I suppose that would make it more fun for the other person!

5. Darcy says:

About the striped hoodie sweater that would look fantastic under a blazer, I agree, but how would it ever *fit* under a blazer? Anyone? Look at the volume.

This is a very confusing thing….how this shirt goes under that jacket, but that jacket doesn’t work with these jeans…only the other ones, that are too low for the shirt. See what I mean? A mess. How to cope? I’m asking.

I want to know what jeans the model in the James Perse sweater is wearing – They’re so slouchy perfect! I say go for the striped BP from Nordstrom, Kim! I’ve had it in my cart for weeks, but at $19, why wait? Also, the sweater with drop shoulders is something I’d live in all winter long.