Tuesday 21st November 2017

Tops with good prints

I’m looking for cute tops to pop out from whatever sweater I’m wearing now that it is certifiably chilly out. And I like the unexpected color combination on this one.

Diagonal stripes are usually way too much, but I think this top is really cool.

A bold bird print.

I like how nice and graphic this star pattern is.

There is something kind of appealingly vintage-y about this floral number.

Red and black are always so good together.

A subtle dot-dash print on a highly wearable blouse.

The vivid colors here would be such a nice ray of sunshine on a drab day.

This just seems so delightfully easy.

This comes with a bow that I’d ditch. It’s such a sweet floral.

And here’s another pretty dear floral.

A straight-up button-down with a crisp, fun print.

Posted on November 14th, 2017 25 Comments

1. Dana D says:

I love the Isabel and the two red and black ones (actually already contemplated the Velvet one but now like the Xirena better…)

But…printed tops languish in my closet, unworn.

Can someone please explain this?

• Nicole says:

Hmm is it the type of print? I am all about a printed top or dress, so much so that I have to actively purchase solid things. But I do know that the scale and overall colorway determine how much I will wear a print. Black and white gets the most play from me. I have purchased a kind of madras pink plaid button down, but I saw it in a photo and never wore it again. It didn’t translate well.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

My prints are orphaned in my closet, Dana D. But give me a stripe or two (or fifteen!) and I’m golden. Prints appeal in theory, but I never really feel like ME in them. But my kids call me Waldo, as in “Where’s Waldo?” because of my stripe obsession. I don’t think that explained anything.

2. y.k. says:

yeah same here. even my striped tops get less play.
    patterns make such a Statement.

but i love that loud bird print.

3. DeDe says:

That first one I would wear the living crap out of, and I even like the pants it’s styled with. But: HOW CAN THEY BE PRE-SPRING (please note this is not a question!). It’s been winter-ish for like two seconds, it’s about five seconds past Halloween, I am still contemplating fuzziest-possible sweaters, and yet, there it is. What’re we supposed to do in February if they release pre-spring now? Bastards.

4. Jessica says:

Both those Mango tops featured are gorgeous. Anyone ever ordered from them? Any thoughts on fit or quality?

• c.w. says:

I have a Mango girls leopard print fuzzy jacket. It’s still 80 degrees outside so has not been worn. I’m impressed by the quality of the jacket and the girls size 13-14 years fits me well (I’m 5’2″or thereabouts and slender). I would order from them again depending on how well the jacket wears. Hope that helps!

5. suz says:

The stars and the last liberty one seem like they would go with anything due to the dark backgrounds. I love most of these prints actually, great selection. Peeking out of a sweater seems like a great little shot of color/pattern.

I am another one who just never seems to wear print …though in general I love prints. Just not for me unless on a skirt generally, not sure why. And I say this as someone who adores william morris and celia birtwell. Makes no sense.

6. Candy says:

“..see if anything bad happens” is perfect.
    Reminds me: Have you ever had something bad happen while you’re wearing a certain outfit and then can never wear it again because of the memories?
    The dress I wore when I got fired comes to mind.

I really love the Xirena and the Velvet…I think I’d wear a print as a holiday top with black velvet jeans. And I think the J Crew is adorable, but there’s that “Will I wear it?” question as I’m about to purge my closet. TBD.

8. Lorange says:

I cannot get over how perfect that Isabel Marant blouse is. Will forever be keeping an eye out for a print like that–either to buy or make a top out of.