Tuesday 21st November 2017

Things I bought, things I want

LL Bean boot

I finally got this classic preppy LL Bean boot, lined in shearling, because my friend Andrea linked to it the other day and I was reminded of last winter and the winter before that, when I tried to get a pair but they were back-ordered until spring. I have wanted these since I spied all the cool girls wearing them in boarding school, and can’t wait until they get nice and beaten up a bit.

shearling-lined Vans

And I also bought these shearling-lined Vans, which are a lot of luxe for a mere $65. There is a total theme with the footwear in this post.

Kara bag

This satchel I’m dying for is such a good bottle green—so dark that it really comes off as a neutral. And it’s nice and roomy and quite suitable for travel, I feel.

J Crew leopard print coat

I tried this leopard print coat at J. Crew the other day, and it’s really pretty excellent: very well-tailored, and with an appealingly fuzzy texture and the just-right length. I didn’t buy it because I already own too many coats, but I’m still thinking about it, a lot.

PE Nation sweatpants

Another item I seriously don’t need but desire very much: this pair of sweatpants—I’m a sucker for a sweat with stripes, and red and army green is such a good combo.

Birkenstocks

It has gotten seriously cold here in New York, and I don’t have the most well-heated apartment ever, so I’m thinking of going for these Birkenstock shearling-lined Boston sandals for kicking around in the house.

Posted on November 13th, 2017 10 Comments

1. Dana D says:

I wore my shearling Boston clogs (in mink) all weekend, in and out and about in the Bay Area. I’d wear them to work today if I could get away with it. (Made the mistake of wearing them to school once on a casual Friday and my students thought I had on house slippers…)

2. ed says:

These are great choices! I do love that bottle green color. I would love to have a blouse or top in that color, moody and not expected. I haven’t seen any around though.

3. Miss Taken says:

I have the shearling-lined Bean boots, and they. are. bliss. As I’m an oldz, I need orthotics for support, and they fit in just fine.

4. kate says:

I bought a vintage faux leopard coat that is cut like a barn coat and lined in brilliant turquoise. A blast to wear.

Good sturdy, but cute, choice with the Bean boots. I’m dying for a pair of the shearling lined Birkie clogs for my poor hurtin’ pups! As a size 10.5-11, which size do you GOACA’s recommend?

I keep thinking I should check out our HUMUNGOUS church rummage sale for a vintage leopard coat, but I’m not a “digger”…I want my clothes handed to me on a silver platter. 🙂

Those Kara bags are so gorgeous! And the dark green would look great with my wardrobe.(or without, for that matter)

• Dana D says:

I’m an 8-8 1/2 and wear a 39 narrow in all birks. If your feet are normal width, Val, I’d suggest the narrow.

They are so good…

6. Maggie says:

I just wanted to thank you for introducing me to Andrea’s blog. I am now obsessed. I love both of your blogs, but her clothing picks are more in my cheapskate’s price range 🙂

7. AnneL says:

Just pulled the trigger on the shearling-lined Frye engineers boots (on sale at Nordstrom finally!). I spent all last winter wishing for a warm boot that I wouldn’t have to change out of at one of my multiple places of work

8. Alex says:

Those Birkenstock Bostons with the furry lining are the nuts. I’m on my second pair – love them. My only complaint is that the shearling wears away pretty quickly in places.

9. Ann says:

I have those Birkenstocks for house slippers and they are the best.