Tuesday 21st November 2017

Monday links

• Just a whole bunch of famous people at the airport in the 70s: a supremely excellent time-waster. (Esquire)
  • Picasso really was quite awful. (Kottke)
  • This is cool: a graffiti camp just for girls. (Colossal)
  • Shirley Temple gone death metal: scroll to the bottom to watch the video: this might just be the weirdest/funniest thing you experience today. (Dangerous Minds)
  • Very interesting: why do certain men like to masturbate in front of women? (The Cut)

Posted on November 13th, 2017 14 Comments

1. Lesley says:

What *is* that crazy outfit and how did she ever go to the bathroom??

2. y.k. says:

o thanks for the helpful article, i was wondering why some men do that.

lesley it’s gotta be a tunic not a onesie right??

3. lc says:

I loved watching Shirley doing black metal but got distracted as the scene from the movie progressed. I think every single man in that scene put his hands on her torso at one point or another. Innocent at the time, but now …

4. gk2829 says:

BTW – The last item on your list is linked to the wrong article. It is directing you to the Dangerous minds website instead of the Cut.

5. Lisa says:

The fashion distillation of the 70s always bewilders me a bit. I was at college on the East Coast 1974-78, we were all scrubbed and sweatered. I caused a teeny stir by watching a tennis match from a grass-covered hill in my bikini – as a Californian that seemed normal.

Way more Chris Reeves than Ringo Starr, I suppose. Oddly, as a teen in California in the early 70s I did dress more as we see here. Just a note to remind us all, these images are iconic, but iconic of small pockets of the country.

The one constant in the airport photos? Not one cool celeb flew into LaGuardia! (Haha! Even then it was like a 3rd world country!)

Picasso…creepo. Makes me think about the value/quality of the art vs. the character/nastiness of the artist…just pondering. I haven’t landed on anything yet. But I love Kottke!

I think I peed a little over “Death Metal Shirley Temple” (but found her being “manhandled” quite disturbing.)

7. Gables girl says:

Love the airport pictures. Cher has always been incredibly original and ahead of her time.

8. Rachel says:

I’m actively not going to read why men masturbate in front of women. Because no matter how long my life is, it will be too short to spend any of it on that.

9. Debra says:

Thanks for the airport photos. Seeing Cher in what appears a pith helmet (and, of course, pulling it off) made my day! I love the 70s.

10. Mae says:

Seeing all those celebs smoking cigarettes while walking through the airport reminds me that air travel has ALWAYS been stressful…