Tuesday 21st November 2017

Thursday links

• Notable people and their pencils. (Colossal)
  • This made me really happy. (The Cut)
  • And here’s a list of all of the women who won  in elections across the country Tuesday. (Elle)
  • I enjoyed  this rundown of Tina Fey’s favorite actors. (Vulture)
  • This satisfyingly long trailer for The Post, starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Street and directed by Steven Spieleberg, has me intrigued. (Kottke)

Posted on November 9th, 2017 10 Comments

1. Dana D says:

I love the Danica Roem story. And while I hesitate to hope for more good election outcomes, Tuesday showed us what can happen when people who value people vote.

Rachel Maddow had an excellent bit last night on her show where she showed the photographs of all the Republicans who lost in Virginia and then all the photographs of the Democrats who won their seats. The Republicans were all white men of a certain age (if you’ll pardon the expression) the Dems were a splendid, young (for the most part) incredibly diverse group. It is one of the most beautiful segments of television I’ve seen in a long time. Wish I had the link, but it shouldn’t be too hard to find.

My Beau (life partner, helpmeet, boyfriend, whatever) teaches film. His class this semester is on genre. The class watches one film together and one film on their own. Last night he showed All The President’s Men even though he wasn’t certain how these students would react since this is a film about journalism before the internet, television celebrity journalists etc. They got into it. In a good way. Which gives me hope.

Love the pencil post as I love a good pencil. I used to have a friend who had pencils printed every year with things like “Art Goddess” and then gave them as holiday gifts to her female friends. Such a great idea.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I think that N. is on the right track with his college students. We introduced our daughter to “ATPM” recently and she was fascinated. I just sent her the link for “The Post.” I’ve got a lot of hope for this generation!

3. Julia says:

Ok, so I didn’t quite know under which post to put this comment, but two things: Today’s my birthday, and I got the red/wine colored mock turtleneck from Nordstrom’s that you recommended a few weeks ago. For anyone considering it, it’s the softest, coziest, yummiest sweater imaginable. I also got a book about Obama –The Call of History, which made me burst into tears when I opened it. Last year on my birthday, I woke up to the worst news ever (trump, obviously) and the weather was atrocious, as if the apocalypse had started. This year the weather was gorgeous, and we had good news Tuesday. I’m feeling more optimistic, I hope some of you are as well.

4. AML says:

glad to see Streep billed above Hanks in the poster (and stepping above him in the picture). steps.

You know, AML, that’s probably a first!

Thank you, Goddess, for the mind of Tina Fey!

6. DeDe says:

Those are all great actors, but I think Dog has it on lock.