Tuesday 21st November 2017

15 classic black pieces that are $100 and under

This pleated midi-skirt is really sharp—I’d wear it with a fitted crewneck sweater and boots.

These jeans from & Other Stories look nice and skinny, but not skin-tight (and here’s a good-looking pair in extended sizes).

A nicely (but not overly) oversized denim jacket—which for reasons I can’t understand are really tough to find at a decent price.

Just a really easy blouse.

Everlane’s cashmere crewneck sweater is such a good deal, and it’s got a nice, streamlined fit. It comes in a ton of other colors too, if you’re interested.

Here’s a cashmere V-neck too, for even cheaper. I know that cheap cashmere tends to pill, but in my experience, so does expensive cashmere (the Nili Lotan sweater I wear even as I type is testament to this) so I have learned that it pays to go cheap.

I like the gold buttons on this double-breasted blazer—they’re very French chick.

A nice big huggy turtleneck sweater is a fall essential.

This car coat comes with a detachable hood, which is fun.

This sweater is a mohair blend, which is always so good and fluffy.

I like that this blazer is ever so slightly cropped.

This bomber seriously looks like it costs more than it does.

We have all bemoaned the fact that it’s tough to find a denim skirt that isn’t a mini, but here’s a quite excellent one.

Can’t go wrong with a classic Adidas Gazelle.

I like the slouchiness of these pleated trousers.

Posted on November 8th, 2017 20 Comments

I’ve been hankering for that Everlane bomber in burgundy (for some reason I’m having an intense desire for burgundy colored clothes and boots)

The only cashmere sweater I’ve ever owned that doesn’t pill is one that I purchased years ago from the Neiman Marcus outlet––Last Call––that is also the Neiman Marcus brand. It’s a very thin, lightweight summer kind of cashmere so maybe that’s why it doesn’t pill.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Funny, but I just ordered a burgundy velvet bomber from Nordstrom that arrived today. Sometimes I have to learn the hard way and remind myself that certain shapes don’t work for me.

2. MeezStephanie says:

I bought those Leith pants at Nordstrom – while I wasn’t even shopping for pants – and yes, they are surprisingly good (and not too expensive)!

3. Islandgirl1 says:

Juicy couture used to make the best cashmere sweaters. I have one that is 12 years old, I wear all the time in winter, and it has never pilled. I am sad as i definitely think it only has 1 or 2 more seasons left in it. However, about a year ago I discovered that some good dry cleaners will
    De-pill sweaters. I had it done to many of mine for $10 each. They come back looking like new. And I noticed that a decent cashmere sweater will only need this treatment once or twice; then it stops pilling. It really has been an amazing discovery in my life, because I love soft sweaters but hated it when the pilling got to that terrible point. I tried to depill myself once; I ended up irreparably damaging one sweater and another was left looking like I had never made the effort.

4. elise says:

Completely agree re: cashmere pilling! The most I’ve ever spent on my cashmere addiction was $350 for a Tori Burch that looked like crap after only one season. I’m sticking to the more reasonably priced and/or on sale items. Good tip on having dry cleaners de-pill!

• moi says:

Yup. My $300 Equipment cashmere sweater, which I’ve worn twice, is pilled like a cheap piece of acrylic, while my $100 Dillard’s-brand grandpa cardigan that I’ve worn a gazillion times in the past 15 years still looks brand new.

5. Debra says:

Kisses for this post!

6. joannawnyc says:

I de-pill my own sweaters. It never seemed too difficult to me–go slowly and make sure the knit is flat and lightly taut. You can use your lap or any flat horizontal surface.For sleeves I just put it on my arm but my mom likes to stuff them with tissue paper.

Also, for cashmere, a Lilly brush is ideal https://www.lillybrush.com/save-our-sweaters-brush/ also available at amazon, qvc, bed bath etc

7. Heather says:

The $50 I spent years ago on a Japanese sweater shaver is seriously one of the best purchases of my life.

Three pile heights, so nothing ever gets snagged, and it not only keeps everything looking new and perfect — sweaters, gym clothes, upholstery — it’s also oddly soothing/satisfying to use in the same weird way that squeezing a blackhead or nipping a cuticle can be.

Highly reccommend.

8. Candy says:

One more vote for de-pilling. I bought a Conair Fabric Defuzzer on Amazon to de-pill my favorite Uniqlo cardigan and it has revived a bunch of other sweaters too.

Also — GREAT post. Love the bomber and the Leith trousers.

• Heather says:

I have the same one! Use it on all my sweaters at least once a year – plus have used it on other knits as well. Amazing.

9. Mimi says:

I still wear classic cashmere turtlenecks I bought in London in the 80s. Scottish and British cashmere never seems to pill. I used to find them at the Burlington Arcade in London from N. Peal and another brand that’s no longer around. N. Peal has a website and the Outnet sells their sweaters, discounted.
    The Everlane pleated skirt is cute, but is a “below the knee” length really a midi? I wish more websites would just give the length of skirts and dresses. Is the skirt 25″ long or 28″? This finicky GOACA wants to know.

• moi says:

It’s so annoying that Everlane doesn’t give measurements!

In this case, I think the skirt is likely to be a midi on anyone shorter than 5’10”, which is the model’s height.

• SIsty says:

That’s a pet peeve of mine, also — since when did “below the knee” become a “midi?” Midi for me has always meant mid-calf (makes sense).

I have learned to look at the length measurement when I’m looking at dresses that are above the knee on the model. My magic number is 40 inches or more (most things can be hemmed). I make far fewer mistakes that way.

10. suz says:

These are all excellent! Though can someone explain to me why the cool hooded coat has boob pockets? I was so ready to buy that one.

These days it is rarely worth buying spendy cashmere even if you can. The only cashmere I have (and I have quite a bit as am allergic to wool) that hasn’t pilled is vintage british/scottish sweaters from the 60s. I think the old british knits are denser and less initially soft.

And count me as another vote for depilling.

Super choices, Kim! I love the black slouchy turtleneck!!! Great prices, too. 🙂

12. Houston2000 says:

Thanks for showing extended sizes mixed into regular posts. I’m teetering on the edge of plus sizes, and even when stores have clothes in the 14-16 range, the models are usually just the smaller sizes. It’s hard to tell what a style will look like on someone at the 14-16 end. Showing pictures of styles on larger women is super helpful in figuring out what will look good.