Tuesday 21st November 2017

Tuesday links

• Soothingly ordered photos of food. (My Modern Met)
  • Here’s a trailer for the new season of The Crown. (The Muse)
  • Seven women hold forth on the book they think all men should read. (Elle)
  • This is unconscionable. I’ve heard too many bad things about Zara to keep linking to them (I rarely do, but this seals it).
  • This remembrance of Nicholas Cleves, a young man killed in last week’s truck attack in New York, is just beautiful. (Vanity Fair)
Posted on November 7th, 2017 14 Comments

1. Kristie says:

Thank you for taking and publicizing a stand on Zara.

2. Debra says:

Choked up reading about Nicholas Cleves. The author’s words. Real. Heartfelt.

Thank you for keeping us informed about Zara. I haven’t purchased anything from them in a long time, but it’s good to know to stay away.

Roxane Gay is such a smart writer––glad she’s on the list of what men should read.

What a deep, touching essay about Nicholas Cleves.

4. Candy says:

Yup, Zara on my boycott list. It’s like something out of “A Handmaid’s Tale,” those little tags from workers pleading for help. And the update: They’re “working on a proposal to establish a hardship fund.” How about just pay them what they’re owed?

5. moi says:

There is no way to get fashion at cheap prices without one of two things happening: the owners don’t get paid or the workers don’t get paid. And guess which it usually is?

• Maggie says:

Honestly, that’s why I started buying almost all my clothes at Goodwill or used on Etsy. I can’t afford $300 sweaters, but I also want to shop as ethically as I can. Luckily, I work near a major tech company and my neighborhood Goodwill contains stuff like $25 Kate Spade skirts and Rag and Bone jeans.

• Dana D says:

right on…

some of the best pieces in my closet are from eBay, postmark, Vestiaire or The Real Real.

No need for fast fashion anymore…

• Dana D says:

Poshmark

• moi says:

There are so many good second hand options these days, both on and offline. And I think it makes shopping more fun, to snag a cool find at Goodwill or stalk a pricey sweater at the Real Real for a fraction of the cost.

I’m looking forward to Season 2 of The Crown, thinking it’s somewhat remarkable that they’ve weathered all of these crises and are still on the throne. But that Lilibet is a tough ol’ bird!

The portrait of Nicholas Cleves is beautiful, but my heart goes out to his mother. No one should have to face such a situation.