Tuesday 21st November 2017

A post on silver jewelry, because I never do that

I pretty much always wear gold jewelry, but I really like silver too—it is so much cooler in some ways than gold, and less blingy and obvious. And it can look nice in sculptural shapes, like these stunners.

It also looks fantastic when paired with suede or leather, as it is here.

I crave a nameplate necklace, but want to get something more compelling and/or fun than just my name. Suggestions?

This ring has such a great simple-but-slightly-artsy shape.

A signet ring in silver is kind of a cool idea, and I like them best without monograms.

Just a really dramatic pair of earrings.

I also very much like how diamonds look with silver—so low-key and elegant.

The tiger eye here is just stunning.

The chain here is so nice, and I always appreciate a ball pendant.

Big hoops—as I have noted before—are the sexiest.

These initials by Monica Vinader are just really fun—I love that they’re all mismatched.

A ring that would look great in a stack.

Posted on November 7th, 2017 29 Comments

1. y.k. says:

i especially love brushed/matte silver.

i guess a horoscope nameplate is a little cheezy.
    birth state?

2. Elisa says:

Does anyone else have yesterday’s sweaters showing up all over their Facebook feed? I’ve not had this happen before and I wonder if there is a way to avoid it. I would have posted this comment with the sweaters, but not sure anyone was still looking there.

• Viajera says:

I don’t know if things I’ve linked to here specifically follow me around, but in general, yes this happens to me too. (Probably from here but I’m not sure … oh also, I don’t blame GOACA … there is probably a browser setting somewhere … )

Lately for me it has been shoes. Shoes I didn’t want the first time! oh well.

• kates says:

This happens to me all the time, with anything I look at from any store or website. Big Brother!

3. Elisa says:

Also, I have gotten a bunch of rings from the Sundance Catalogue–I’m a size 10 ring and many of theirs come in my size. Most of the rings are under $100 and they often run 15% or 20% off. Their clothes are not really for me, but I do like the rings.

4. Sylvia Sichel says:

I have two nameplate necklaces in the girliest script with “Feminist” on them (one larger and more 90s hip-hop and one small and super girly that you have to get close to read). I love them so… and they were dirt cheap: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1211383485

5. Erica says:

Thank you! I pretty much only wear silver, so I much appreciate this!

6. I have a nameplate necklace with my daughter’s name in 14k rose gold. I also ordered a necklace for my daughter’s godmother with her Baptism name (she recently became a Catholic). This custom jeweler charges much less than your jeweler and you have a choice in necklace length too. I also love the script style.

Do you have a favorite pet? I’d do that or my home state.

7. maggie says:

All my monograms read “WTF.”

I think you get something … uh, sassy … (sorry!) like “Hot Lips” or maybe whatever your Roller Derby name would be, if you had one.

I just had an argument on a conference call with my muther and brother about guns (he drives through Sutherland Springs once a week). After about ten minutes when they both realized I was RIGHT about NO NEED FOR AUTOMATIC WEAPONS my brother said, “Let’s don’t talk politics.” And I said, “This isn’t a political argument, it’s COMMON SENSE.” So I’m with Maggie’s suggestion, “WTF.”

Sorry for the rant, but I’m FURIOUS. And my muther ended the conversation by inviting herself to my house for Thanksgiving. Seriously.

On a calmer note…I love silver jewelry and these are all fantastic suggestions!

10. marjorie says:

I too pretty much only wear silver. I have a nameplate necklace that says “coffee” in script — I amuse myself wearing it to brunch. I have my eye on a signet ring that says “gin” (my other favorite beverage). For my 50th birthday, my brother and his husband got me a beautiful necklace by Yael Kanarek that has the word RESIST in block letters, vertically, with a tiny diamond. And I have a slightly goth-y silver Lauren Wolf ring with a rutilated quartz stone in it — mother’s day gift from husband and kids — that I wear almost every day. http://www.laurenwolfjewelry.com/rings/silver-rutilated-quartz-ring

I actually still have a sculptural silver kinda-heart-shaped thing on a leather cord from our Sassy days! From an artist who came to the office — I wish I remembered her name. I wear it all the time.

11. marjorie says:

RIGHT, I also have a skinny little silver cuff I wear almost every day (along with a heavy silver link bracelet and a narrow studded leather bracelet) that says “NEVER READ THE COMMENTS.” I had it made. Not that I listen to it. :/

12. Debra says:

Here’s a word for a nameplate necklace that I’m really feeling today: REBEL.

13. Clare says:

Okay, for your neckplace with nameplate I just saw one that was FEMINIST AF which I thought was exceptionally bad ass and edgy. Loving the silver jewelry. Always feels modern and so beautiful with black and gray and other winter colors (actually those are the only winter colors I really wear).

What popped into my head immediately for a nameplate: GOACA

I love rustic silver, especially when paired with Turquoise. I sometimes wear gold and silver together, just because I like it.

15. Kathy says:

I wear silver only, with the occasional rose-tone item. I love all your picks here.
    Re: the nameplate– I like…
    Feminist
    Nasty
    Sassy (!)
    Lucky (!)
    France
    Frenchy
    your pups’ names
    your mom’s maiden name
    one of your favorite bands
    a song or book title
    a favorite city
    something you wish you had–or had more of: time, peace, love, focus, money…
    a phone number–not your current one, though!
    a zip code
    a latitude & longitude

16. Jill says:

For your nameplate: “Nevertheless”

17. Another Rebecca says:

Thank you for doing a post on silver. My skin tone and gold do not get along.

18. Debra says:

Just thought of another: Sportif!

Of course, if you’re not Sportif! it doesn’t really work. But if you’re having the necklace custom-made you could ask that the designer draw a line through the word. Or you could put it on a round charm and then emboss it. with the circle/diagonal line over the word.

All this to say that you’re the only person I know who uses the word sportif regularly and I get such thrill every time you do. And I’m not sportif. But I love the word. I’m loopy sometimes.

19. KTB says:

I absolutely LOVE silver jewelry, so I appreciate this post very much. I am seriously considering getting a nameplate with my last name rather than my first. I have a fairly common first name, but an unusual last name that I kept after I got married. I’m pretty attached to it, so I think that would be appropriate.