Tuesday 21st November 2017

Join me as I search for a great pair of trousers

I do love my jeans and wear them all but constantly, but there are times when I’m in the mood to go a little snappier, and that’s when I reach for a nice pair of tailored trousers. I like them on the skinny side, and this can prove difficult because I am wide of hip, but the following pairs all look like they’d do the trick, starting with this dark grey pair from Vince.

I really do have a thing for red lately, and thinkthese look just fantastic.

These have a very  subtle floral metallic print, which could be fun.

A good tuxedo pant is just a good thing to own, and you can dress them way up if you care to.

This is Nili Lotan’s excellent Tel Aviv trouser in
wool.

Here’s a pretty well-priced pair.

These
 are for those of you who complain that I only ever show cropped pants.

Finding skinny pants in extended sizes isn’t easy, but I think these are pretty good.

Everlane’s trouser has a comfy elastic waist, and looks really wearable.

These are denim, which is cute.

A very elegant pleated pair.

I’ve shown you these before; they’re Topshop’s cigarette trouser and they’re dirt cheap.

Posted on October 31st, 2017 20 Comments

1. Susanna says:

I like the looks of many of these, but I just do not understand how to wear shoes with these once winter sets in. All of these are shown with a bare leg. What to do? Refrain from wearing them in the cold? Socks would look silly, and the pant length seems to preclude boots.

• bonnie says:

I always wear a black opaque knee-high. It works with almost any shoe or bootie and streamlines the look. I’m super short but love cropped pants, so anything that creates a leaner line is good. Try it!

• Laura says:

Yes! Exactly. I would like to know this too. Especially with living in the city and walking a lot.

• Sock boots that stop just above the ankle. If there’s skin showing in between the pants and boots, have fun with your hosiery when it peeks out. I bought different colors (black, nude and wine) of knee-high fishnet stockings recently (from Free People).

• Susanna says:

Thanks for suggestions. Oxfords seem like the best bet, but I would still need socks in the winter, and with a cropped pant I’m not sure I like that look. Just my opinion. I think this is why I default to either skirts/dresses with tights and boots, or jeans with socks and boots in the winter.

2. Mimi says:

Check out the pix of the Vince and Nili Lotan pants. They’re both shown with short boots that are either tall enough to tuck under the narrow pant leg or short enough to stop below the pants, which might expose a bit of sock when you sit down. I wear wool trousers with ankle boots all winter, and the combination is only problematic when the top of a boot won’t go either under or over the pants. What works best is a boot with a 6 or 7″ shaft that tucks under or a 4 or 5″ shaft when the pants stop just above the boot. Mannish loafers, oxfords and good looking sneakers that don’t look like running shoes also work. Hope this helps.

Any trouser without a “waistband” works for me. I have a perfect pair of trousers from, believe it or not, Eileen Fisher which I purchased maybe 5-7 years ago? Wide elastic waistband that doesn’t look like an elastic waistband and just enough give so the knees don’t get baggy. Don’t know if they’re still out there, but if they are I can highly recommend.

4. Mary Alice says:

Vince trousers are the best -fitting I have ever encountered, and I am neither young nor skinny. Well worth the price.

5. Debra K says:

Calvin Klein Essential Skinny Suit Pants are a good option also – not cropped, the waist sits a little low, the pockets are cut just right, and the fabric is super comfortable. My go-to for when jeans aren’t quite right.

6. Lorange says:

My go-to are Old Navy’s pixie pants. I have wide hips and a curvy butt–they always fit me. They hold up just fine when washed on cold and hung to dry.

• J says:

I agree 100%. The Old Navy pixie pant fits great, usually has great solid and print options & has a great price point.

• S. says:

Ditto. These just fit better than any others in my price range of $100 or less. I’m very fond of the utility chinos they rolled out this summer — hoping they come back.

7. I find trousers difficult to wear. I have a small waist and “healthy” butt and hips. Do you know of a trouser that works for more of an hourglass figure?

8. AML says:

I constantly have the silliest problem with many trousers: the pockets pop out and give me extra hips (of which i have plenty already). No suggestions, just wanted to share frustration. Make pockets right trouser people!

9. Sharon says:

I finally found my HG trousers. Taylor Stitch Parsons pant in black. The fabric is amazing. It never seems to wrinkle. I look good all day. They’re washable and rarely need even a light press, only occasionally when I stuff them into a suitcase. I wish I’d bought two pairs before my size sold out.

10. ljchicago says:

Get the red ones!!!

11. Alison says:

Just a quick suggestion for AML – for pants that otherwise fit well, I have a tailor sew shut the pockets. (My sewing skills are nonexistent!) It’s worked well for me and might be worth a shot for you, too.

I know what I’m looking for, I know quality and good fit when I see it, so why can’t I find anything that looks like these on me?!? The Vince and Nili Lotan are damned near perfect.