Tuesday 21st November 2017

Monday links

• This taxi driver took pictures of people in the back of his cab, and the results are fantastic.
  • I love, love, loved reading this oral history  of the Laurel Canyon music scene in the 60s and 70s. (Vanity Fair)
  • Connie Britton alert! It’s the trailer for the new Fox series 911. (Vulture)
  • A very interesting article about quitting antidepressants. (Elle)
  • These vintage Halloween greeting cards are fun. (Dangerous Minds)

Posted on October 30th, 2017 12 Comments

1. Dana D says:

Thank you for the article on antidepressants.

And thank Goddess Science gives us very good drugs.

I’m 55 and I’ve been on a low dose (10 mg) of Paxil for just over 20 years. Short breaks in that time period, last one seven years ago when I was falling in love with the kind man who helps me understand what a healthy relationship feels like. Started again when sleep/perimenopause issues threatened my well-being.

I take occasional weekend breaks for intimacy (our joke–I stop mine, he starts his…) and will no doubt stay on now until I die. (Unless I retire in a paradise somewhere that is not america…)

I am a poet, I think too damn deeply about everything, and right now I am depressed about this country. Can’t imagine how low I’d be without the Paxil.

As a very good friend said of her Zoloft, years ago, “It takes the edge off.”

2. Julie Lee says:

That VF article was divine! It’s inspiring to read about little pockets of history where creative people happen together and they create something amazing.

What a great selection of links!

I don’t take anti-depressants, but I have several friends who would not be with us without them.

In the very early seventies I hung out on the edges of the Laurel Canyon “scene”––I didn’t know anyone famous, but lordy did I have some fun. Downloaded the playlist!

Connie is back!!

4. Amy L says:

Great links! For more Laurel Canyon goodness, I would recommend reading _Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon–and the Journey of a Generation_, by Sheila Weller.

5. Maggie says:

If you haven’t read Michael Walker’s book about the Laurel Canyon music scene of the 60’s and 70’s, I highly recommend it. It is full of great stories like the ones in the VF article, including a lot of interesting tales about Frank Zappa and the GTO’s.

6. moi says:

I’m having a difficult time deciding where I want to go when I die: NYC 1975–1977 or Laurel Canyon in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

My friends and I TOTALLY had the feathered and permed “Dos” in the taxi photos.
    The article about Laurel Canyon makes me wish I were a tad older. My inner self is a former hippie.
    Anti-anxiety/depression meds have been life-saving for me, along with good Dr’s, caring friends & family, and an amazing spouse. I recall reading the original article in ELLE and feeling that I must be doing something wrong, or that I must have some inner character flaw because I needed meds. I’m glad she wrote an update!
    Apparently Halloween cards were intended to scare the hell out of kids! Creepy!

• DeDe says:

You are so not doing anything wrong for taking meds, Val. On the contrary – you’re taking responsibility for your mental health and trying to feel better (or even just, you know, function!). My unsolicited opinion: folks who believe that using antidepressants or other psych meds indicates some sort of a moral failure have a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of mood disorders and chronic mental illnesses that stigmatizes people for both having mental health challenges and for using an effective, often life-saving, treatment. People who suffer from serious depression and anxiety (full disclosure: this includes me) are not broken and what’s going on with us can’t be cured with a regimen of yoga and supplements. In fact, meds make it possible for us to do all the other things we need to in order to be well, because you’re not going to excercise if you can’t even get out of bed. So good on you for knowing what you need and taking care of yourself. I’m glad you have loving, supportive people around you.

8. Elle says: