Tuesday 21st November 2017

Top 5 of the week: Army green

I like army green any old time, but it’s an especially good color for this time of year, and it is so unexpected on this velvet top.

These pants are really well-tailored, and I like the cuff ankles.

A very snappy blazer for when you want to look especially put together.

A Barbour jacket with Liberty of London lining: perfection.

This super-soft sweater in camo is  the type of item I’d put on highest rotation.

Posted on October 27th, 2017 12 Comments

1. Dana D says:

great list…I love that velvet top.

But again I’ll be a broken record and suggest that it is too expensive for “made in China.” Don’t see anything on the Rebecca Taylor website to suggest a commitment to ethical production.

Some retailers (like Vince, I just discovered) are making an effort to work towards fair-trade production. The more we inquire, and pressure companies, the more effort they might make.

It’s just another form of resistance that makes sense for fashion lovers.

(Don’t mean to be a debbie-downer but I’m feeling a little helpless over here as we move ever closer to totalitarianism.)

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I think you’re right, Dana. I care about the people that produce the fashion I wear, especially when bad things happen. So it seems much more proactive (and productive) to care about it before a disaster happens or the rivers and air are polluted. I’m glad to hear that Vince is stepping up their game!

2. y.k. says:

i love this color& i love that blazer- although i have to admit I’m confused by the back view. is that weird?
    also if anyone knows how Smythe size runs please chime in. looks like it runs small. ..

3. Mary Alice says:

I feel as though you have been reading my mind this week…Army green is my go to color and I am delighted to see some new options. That velvet top is gorgeous.

4. DeDe says:

PS, get the sweater it’s awesome

5. Cora says:

I’ve got that Barbour Jacket! I love it to bits – it’s waterproof and practical with hidden awesomeness. The pockets are deep enough for dog treats, leashes, flashlights, poop bags, gloves … just perfect for autumn and spring.

I love the sweater! I’ve got the urge to make something velvet, like a dress or top. It’s not the easiest fabric to sew on. I made a beautiful purple velvet top based on one by Calvin Klein years ago but got rid of it. The idea of green velvet is so yummy !