Saturday 20th January 2018

Totes don’t have to be black and boring

I’ve included some black totes here because they’re so functional, but they’ve all got something a little interesting going on. Personally, I prefer totes that pop a little, even if they’re in neutral colors, like this excellent grey one with stripes from Clare V.

I also like the idea of carrying something summery, like this one from Antonello, all winter long.

This is Isabel Marant and it exceeds the GOACA price limit, but I am in love with the print on the strap.

Nothing all that unusual here, just a really good grey.

I love the color block business going on here.

Just a bright, vibrant red.

This is actually a baby bag, which just means it has a million convenient interior pockets, and I’m crazy for the quilting.

This costs more than it should but it is so damn cute in the denim.

The shape here is cool.

Remember always, ladies, that metallics are neutrals, and love this Baggu tote as I do.

The chain handle here is so chic but slightly un-functional, so it’s nice that it comes with a shoulder strap for convenience.

This croc-embossed option is so fancy-looking.

This isn’t the biggest tote of the bunch, but I do love the way it looks.

The slightly weird mustard-y hue on this canvas bag appeals.

Posted on October 25th, 2017 16 Comments

1. y.k. says:

but my favorite tote ever is that stunning Fabiana Trosman you posted on instagram a while ago.

2. Kimbersam says:

Remember when all totes had a zipper or snap closure?

-Signed, Your Lady of the Spilled Bag

3. Dana D says:

The first one…

its wrong to be in love with a bag, but the first one.

(I also love the Trosman bag!)

4. DeDe says:

I have a darker version of that metallic Baggu one, and while the leather on the outside is soft and gorgeous, the suede inside rubs off on everrrrrrrythinggggg and looks like eraser crumbs. Just an FYI!

5. joannawnyc says:

I love the idea of a bag like the Antonello, but they are so hard to keep clean!

6. LeighTX says:

I can attest to the versatility of that mustard-colored one; I have a purse in that color and I was surprised to find it goes with almost EVERYTHING.

7. Sara says:

OMG the Isabel Marant one stoppppppp.

8. Heather says:

I’ve had this one bookmarked for awhile – I think on a recommendation in a comment on this blog. It’s a lot for me price-wise, but I tend to use bags till they fall apart, so I think it could be worth it:

Or should I go with basic black? I don’t like to change bags every day.

• Sara says:

That bag is gorgeous! I love the blue but the brown wouldn’t work for me. It says they’re all custom made, so maybe you could have her make the straps blue too? I had a bag that color that I wore for a year and it made for a great neutral.

• Heather says:

Ooh good idea – or maybe the straps in black. I wear mostly black and grey as my neutrals (not brown), so I think that might work better. Thanks for this!

9. Kate says:

The red one is so pretty, but is anyone surprised to see a $460 bag from Taiwan?

Kim, I beg to differ with you on the color of the first tote. I saw it as green but I thought maybe my eyes were wonky, so I looked it up on Nordstrom and they call it “army.” Unless that’s a Confederate Army, it’s green. 😉