Tuesday 21st November 2017

Monday links

• These autochromes of women from the early 1900s are really something. It gets a little NSFW toward the end.  (Dangerous Minds)
  • It’s the I, Tonya trailer.
  • Ugh. (The Cut)
  • Jane Lynch will be getting a daytime talk show, which could be fun. (Vulture)
  • Here’s another fun one from Jennifer Romolini. (Shondaland)
Posted on October 23rd, 2017 9 Comments

1. DeDe says:

Harvey Weinstein and all who aided and abetted him are fucking disgusting pieces of shit. And you know this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I’ve been in a number of passive situations recently (4 hour plane trips, 6 hour car rides, long dog walks, insomnia) so I’ve been doing a massive amount of pondering. Much of the pondering over the “Weinstein Situation” and how we––the “we” being powerful-human-producing-job-solving-intelligent-funny women––allowed ourselves to get into this situation––not that I think the situation occurred overnight, but the situation that has occurred over many, many millennium. Now I’m writing about it. An essay is forming and even if no one reads it but me––it helps.

The autochromes are outstanding. I think because most photos (other than the autochromes!) from the early 1900’s are black and white we forget how colorful the world was, right?

• Viajera says:

I’ll be very interested to read it. I like people who ponder!

• DeDe says:

Me three!

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I’m in! I’ve been pondering, too, CW, and I realize that the strong, outspoken, “take-no-shit” me of today is not the same as the 20-yr old, naive, sheltered young woman I was. I’d love to think that if the harassment I experienced then were to occur now, my abuser would have one less nut.

• Sharona says:

My wake up call was Anita Hill. I didn’t even have the words before then to talk about why it might be wrong that a senior manager at the tiny company I was working for could get me fired because I wouldn’t sleep with him. (He did the same to another young woman after Anita Hill and got fired for it.)

So why are we still, again, having this conversation a generation later?

3. Debra says:

Loved the piece by Jennifer Romolini. I would like to print it out and post it in a conspicuous spot in my office break room. But then I realized that would not be in keeping with the spirit of the piece so . . .I’m letting it go!!!! Weeeeee!!!!

Short trailer for “I, Tonya”!

I look at the autochromes and I can envision my beautiful grandmother as having posed for them.

I love the Jennifer Romolini piece, but I want to ask her, “So what do you do when said know-it-all is married to a very beloved sibling and you now avoid that sibling because it means spending time with Twiggy Prune-Face?” (As you can see, I’m handling this very well…:-( )