Tuesday 21st November 2017

Top 5 of the week: Business casual

This is actually a request, from a reader named Meghan, who writes, “I’d like to know your ideas for business casual. I’m packing for a conference in Chicago and kicking myself that I didn’t ask about this sooner!” This is a tough one, as it has been seven years since I’ve worked in an office, and from what I understand, things have gotten much more dressed-down since then. Which is cool, but can be confusing when you want to look on point. My advice is to play things pretty straight: it’s a look I like anyway, and one you can’t really go too far wrong with. I’d start off with a nice cashmere V-neck.

And then I’d go for some tailored-but-casual trousers, like these chinos from Vince.

Under the sweater I’d layer a cotton button down like this one.

I’d have a little fun with footwear and go for these burnished metallic boots. (Here’s a cheaper pair I  like too.)

And—just so I wouldn’t come across too preppy, I’d throw on this faux fur jacket.

Posted on October 19th, 2017 11 Comments

1. Trina says:

Thank you for this post! Boy, did I need something new for work!

2. Tami says:

According to this post, I have nailed business casual today! Sitting at my desk wearing a grey cashmere sweater (everlane), khaki cropped chinos (jcrew), and a pair of pony hair booties. Love the validation this morning in what’s been a rough week at work.

3. Rae says:

Love this outfit. It would work every day in my creative world; especially with the shaggy jacket. Those super spendy boots are just perfect.

4. mlinky says:

A slouchy cardigan is also a good option.

5. Mary Alice says:

I love everything about this!

I *like* that jacket. (Cuban cigars!!!)

7. Sara says:

Really want to try the Everlane cashmere, but I wish they made it in a deeper V. May just try sizing up a bit.

Love those boots! Fortress of Inca makes a great pair too that’s about half the price. I wore these out in black a couple of years ago.

8. eliza says:

Business casual is really hard — and this is a great outfit! I try to have one weird/different/popping out item in my biz casual wardrobe to keep it interesting — jewelry, shirt, just one thing. (I work in TV so can get more “creative” at times)

I have a pair of metallic booties similar to the ones you show and have worn them and worn them. I didn’t think they’d make a “neutral,” but they truly do go with everything.

10. Elle says:

Sweet fancy Moses, love it all! ESP the *boots* and *jacket*!!