Tuesday 21st November 2017

GOACA basics: The crewneck sweater

Like cardigans last week, this is a category so vast that really I should have subdivided it. Instead, I bring you one big old post with all manner of crewneck, from straightforward to slightly edgy. I like this one from Rag & Bone because it has cute leather patches at the elbows.

A very good red and a very decent price.

This has dolman sleeves, which softens things up a bit.

The colorful speckling on this ribbed version is cute.

The buttons at the shoulder here are a nice touch.

Skinny stripes are so chic.

Everlane is back with their $100 cashmere crewnecks, which come in a variety of colors. I’m liking the navy.

Just a nice burgundy cable knit.

This is so excellently oversized; I’d wear it exactly as it is shown here, with leather jeans or leggings.

This is really a mock-turtleneck and doesn’t so much belong in this category, but since I probably won’t ever do a post on mock-turtlenecks, I’m including it here because it is just so good.

The furriness here delights me. And it’s dirt cheap.

I absolutely adore this icy blue.

And I’m including this because it’s such a great, poppy yellow.

The interplay of textures here is cool.

The tie-sleeves are unexpected on an otherwise straightforward sweater.

This reminds me of a Betsey Johnson sweater I owned in the 80s.

I like that he hemline dips low in the back here to provide excellent butt-coverage.

Big fat stripes are so fun.

Posted on October 17th, 2017 11 Comments

1. DeDe says:

So much excellence in one post! I think I might have to get that first one, but I dunno – the mock turtleneck is sort of calling my name too, which is confusing because I am usually anti-mock-anything. But you’re right, it really is good.

2. y.k. says:

same here -I’m anti mock but that’s a great sweater -the braiding on the sleeves is nice too. too bad the price isn’t right.

3. joannawnyc says:

These sweaters are like crack to me. I admit, I’m drooling. That oversize COS jumper in green!

4. Heather says:

So increasingly difficult to find well-made, nonschlumpy, nongimmicky sweaters. I have two from Benetton (RIP) that are holding on for dear life. .

5. Rachel says:

Without fail I always like the most expensive item ….

Big fat stripes = Big fat Val

Sadly, crewneck sweaters give me a third chin, being that I already have two of them. But they are beautiful choices!

7. Candy says:

For another sweater source, the selection at Banana Republic is amazing these days. Loads of colors and styles and soft, washable wool. Plus the 40% off deal. It’s not Vince, which I love, but it’s easier on the budget for decent quality. I found a great V-neck and am considering a silk/cashmere crewneck.

8. Sharon says:

Candy, thanks for the rec. I’ll check out BR. I love the look of crewnecks on others but never wear them myself. I have a thick short neck and crewnecks exacerbate that. I need a v-neck.

9. Katie says:

I guess sleeves that partially cover your hands are the look? It looks fetching on the models but don’t know how practical it is if you actually need to use your hands.