Saturday 16th December 2017

A whopping 20 cardigans

I really should have figured out a way to narrow this category down a little, because there are so many good cardigans out there, but instead I bring you this monster post. I love cardigans and wear them constantly in the fall and winter, and appreciate how endlessly versatile they are. Also, they allow you to have fun layering, which is always a plus.  I own more than a few already, but am toying with the idea of adding this one to the stockpile, because the ribbed sleeves are so good and it’s nicely slouchy.

This looks like Chanel, but it is crazy cheap.

The red details here are so good—I adore red with leopard print.

Just a nice chunky burgundy sweater.

Mostly, as you can tell from the selection here, I like a V-neck cardi, but I included a couple of round-necks just to be sporting. This one is cashmere, and nicely priced.

The buttons at the sleeve are a nice touch.

Here’s one I could totally see living in.

A nice soft pink, and a cool length.

The contrasting stripes here are cool.

Long cardigans are a huge trend this season, so I felt obligated to include one.

How cute is the little heart here?

I always love a good stripe, and this just looks insanely cozy.

An excellent fair isle that I somehow overlooked in my fair isle post a little while back.

This is Missoni so it’s splurgy, but the crocheted details are so great.

This too is on the spendy side, bit it’s so feminine and elegant.

I do like a good leopard print in untraditional colors.

So furry and fun.

This is actually a coat, and I think it is really chic.

I don’t usually like a shawl-collar, but I really like it here.

Sort of rock chick, in a subdued way.

Posted on October 11th, 2017 24 Comments

1. Cara says:

Hi Kim, Is this site on your radar?
    I have a few of their sweaters, and the quality is good.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Hi Cara! I’ve ordered several sweaters from naked cashmere and I’ve been very happy with them. A great range of colors and styles!

I love a good cardigan. The mild winters in Texas (#climatechangeisreal) require them. Am weirdly drawn to the MIHJeans “rock star” cardy even though it also reminds me of a shaggy bathmat from Target. And, sadly, the one I’m longing for is sold out (the leopard with red edges).

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I love the loopy one, too, cw! It’s oddly appealing. And I used to have a Benetton leopard sweater that looked almost like the Topshop one back in the 80’s.

3. Helen says:

Love the first one; can’t afford it.

4. deenie says:

I’m desperate for a good quality hooded cashmere cardigan that doesn’t cost 4 figures(or close to it). Any recommodations?

5. joannawnyc says:

What’s the GOACA position on wool blends? I was interested to see that fiber content doesn’t necessarily have a lot to do with price.

Also I am dying for that Bella Freud “disco” cardigan over here!

• DeDe says:

I used to knit and spin and grew up with parents who did fiber crafts, so I won’t pay a lot for a thing that’s mostly acrylic or something unless the design’s super special (which it is sometimes, though that’s a controversial position to take in the world of the yarn obsessed). In general though, the softer a knitted garment is, the more quickly it goes to hell, so ideally I like to see some plain wool or a man-made fiber blended in with luxury fibers. It helps them hold their shape better and gives them more durability. That’s just me, though.

6. Jenny says:

A lot of US-made brands have gorgeous open & long cardigans. They are of a piece with the generally soft & cozy aesthetic of brands like Black Crane, Elizabeth Suzann, Lauren Winter, etc. Would you consider doing a post of top picks from smaller or US-made brands?

It is a lovely “monster” post!!

Hey if anyone comes across someone selling a fitted shorter v-neck cardigan with full-length sleeves, let me know? In the market.

• Mimi says:

Check out the Harlow cardigan at J Crew. From the picture it looks like,it might have the same cut as a Collection v-neck cashmere cardigan I got a few years ago that’s shorter and not oversized.

8. Mary Alice says:

I’m a cardigan junkie, so thank you!

9. Kate says:

This librarian is very thankful for this post 😉

10. Debra says:

I’m thankful for this post. I buy investment pieces when I can but I am on a limited budget. Sometimes I have to go fast fashion on trendy items just to inject a little fun in wardrobe.

11. y.k. says:

i love batwing sleeves.

12. Candy says:

Loved this post — so much variety for one of my favorite ways to put some polish on even a blah outfit. Loved the sweater coat and that pink Mango one.

13. Mae says:

That first one is SO ME. Sigh.