Wednesday 18th October 2017

Monday links

• These photos of snow-covered vending machines in Japan are just fantastic. (Colossal)
  • The concept of super singles has been born, thanks to the peerless show Better Things. (The Cut)
  • And speaking of peerless, here is Rebecca Traister on the Harvey Weinstein mess. (The Cut)
  • Freelance achievement stickers: hilarious. (Kottke)
  • Indie movies worth seeing this month. (Flavorwire)
Posted on October 9th, 2017 10 Comments

1. y.k. says:

thanks for those vending machine photos – surreal quiet moments.

2. Dana D says:

Love the movie list.

I agree with Traister – this is only happening bc he must have less power now (I am not in that world so I can only guess). I suppose whether or not it is a private company may also play a part. (Can’t remember.) I don’t know that it is an occasion to pat ourselves on the back. It’s funny when you think that women have a lot of power as consumers. We shouldn’t expect real change unless we demand it.

4. SC says:

I work in hwood. Weinstein’s star has been pretty dim for a while. But he has been known to be awful forever. Word is this is just tip of the iceberg – many many more Rose McGowans. But why say anything and open the gates of misogynistic trolling??

Also he was awful to everyone. Not just women.

But more importantly – while Weinstein story is extreme – this stuff still totally goes on. It’s just with more plausible deniability. I’ve been propositioned by director, producer, studio exec on 3 different occasions – but always with a little plausible deniability.

I declined. Haven’t been retaliated against (the opposite actually), but it’s just one the occasional landmines of a job I love so much. And that part bums me out.

• jhops says:

Also in H’wood – do you have a theory on the “why now” of this story finally getting some traction? And HW’s kinda-apology-hey-look-over-there response, instead of the way he’s operated in the past (bury them/hire them/settle)? I feel like there’s still a piece missing here.

5. Mae says:

Is anyone truly shocked that men with big egos are in it for the pussy?

• Mae says:

Having said that, I’ll add that I hope to live long enough to see this particular type of man (pig) go the way of blatant racists.

6. Susan says:

Not so crazy about the fox trim on the puffer. Your thinking on fur?

As someone who’s worked freelance (and requires copious amounts of self-congratulations), I love the achievement stickers! 😉

Harvey Weinstein and that whole situation makes my stomach turn.