Saturday 16th December 2017

Wednesday links

• Here are some photos from National Geographic’s nature photographer of the year contest.
  • This beginner’s guide to self-awareness is certainly thought-provoking. (The Science of Us)
  • A nice little tribute to Tom Petty. (Vulture)
  • I’ve never listened much to Haim, but this video, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, is just a little slice of happiness. (Flavorwire)
  • And finally, if you’ve never read “It’s Decorative Gourd Season, Motherfuckers,” now is the time. (McSweeney’s)

Posted on October 4th, 2017 10 Comments

1. Dana D says:

Every single thing here makes me feel alive and grateful.

Music, dance, nature, reflection, laughter, and healthy grief…and it’s just 5:30 here in California.

I can take whatever my 8th graders have for me today…

Every once in a while McSweeney’s really comes through.

National Geographic photos. So refreshing.

3. Debra says:

That Decorative Gourd piece is the SHIT.

4. DeDe says:

It’s Decorative Gourd Season, Motherfuckers (IDGSM) NEVER gets old. I think I’ll get to work making a beautiful fucking gourd necklace for myself.

5. SC says:

I was at Petty’s Hwood Bowl show last Monday. It was a perfect night.

Gutted to learn it would be his last. God damn.

But grateful we had him – even the losers got lucky when he was around.

“”Well it was nearly summer, we sat on your roof
    Yeah we smoked cigarettes and we stared at the moon”

6. Margaret says:

Every click on a Nat Geo link puts money in Rupert Murdoch’s pocket.

• Dana D says:

That grosses me out…

thanks for mentioning it, good to know…

I no doubt put money in the pockets of very disgusting people on an almost daily basis (i.e., every time I use my Chase card).

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Isn’t that a pisser?

• Viajera says:

Ditto Dana. I didn’t know that, glad you mentioned this profoundly depressing thing. Funny how you think one company is kinda iffy and then a new chief exec comes along and you almost have to recalibrate *everything.*