Saturday 24th February 2018

I always enjoy my annual fair isle sweater post

The wilder and brighter designers go with this preppy standard, the better I like it (though, in the interest of mixing things up, I have included a few classic-looking ones here as well). I like to wear them with a striped tee or button-down layered underneath for a little matchy-clashy effect. First up: the sleeves here are a little wonky, but I am so mad for the colors.

The hearts are cute without being too obvious.

I like how the pattern on this one is kind of disrupted.

Such a good weekend option.

The Charlie Brown zigzag here is fun.

This cardigan is from JW Anderson’s capsule collection for Uniqlo, and it is very nicely priced.

Why not throw a couple of skulls into the mix?

This
 just looks insanely cozy.

A sophisticated choice in black.

Happiness in a sweater.

Posted on October 3rd, 2017 25 Comments

1. Debra says:

Love all of these. Thanks for this post.

I enjoy it too!!!

Is raccoon fur a thing now? (On the Charlie Brown one, which is gorgeous)

• Bella says:

I was wondering the same thing! (“30% raccoon fur fiber”)

• Lorraine says:

The sweaters are coming from China where they use Raccoon Dog fur and regularly mislabel it…sometimes even as faux fur. Raccoon dogs are not actually raccoons, they are in the fox, wolf & domesticated dog category – Canidae. Sadly, China is notorious for the horrific treatment & slaughter of these animals on fur farms.

• DeDe says:

I just can’t quite pull the trigger on a sweater that’s 30% trash panda.

• Darcy says:

What they used is in the same family as dogs, wolves, and foxes. ugh. China can’t be trusted, true, but really, no “fur” unless it’s fake fur can be trusted.

• Viajera says:

wow, you-all are smart, how do you know all this? I’ve never heard of raccoon, or for that matter wolf/dog fabric. Whoa.

3. Mary Alice says:

Would you say Fair Isle sweaters are an East Coat thing? I don’t believe I have ever seen anyone wear one here in California. Nice though, especially the last one!

4. Bethany Ball says:

All the cool girls had them in Detroit in the 80s and I desperately wanted one. My mom wouldn’t go for it. Might have to buy the 10 year old me one now once and for all.

5. Rae says:

I love, love, love the top one and also love the way they style it on the site. If it was about $250 less it would be mine.

6. Mimi says:

I grew up in the East but wore them when I lived in CA too. They’re a timeless preppy design, a Ralph Lauren Anglophile staple that designers embrace and bring back every few years, as if they were on some perpetually rotating loop of classics. I love the black skull cashmere because the pattern is so subtle that it will mix well with tweeds, plaids, checks and stripes and I’ve recently been feeling that I don’t have enough black sweaters. I was excited when I saw it was Friends and Family eligible, so I thought it would be an additional 25% off. But sadly, the discount had already been taken. I’m always telling myself to “buy less, buy better,” but that concept is in conflict with my passion for a deal. So now I have to decide if I love the sweater enough, even without getting another $64 off. I think I’ll go for it. Or not?

These are all outstanding and make me (for a millisecond) wish I lived somewhere cold enough to wear sweaters often. Still, that skull sweater may find its way to my daughter for her October birthday. Shopping vicariously!

8. DeDe says:

Vince needs to make a full-body version of that turtleneck, kind of like an elevated slanket. Self-care and all that.

I have such great memories of wearing my navy blue wool fair isle sweater with my Levi’s 501’s and my Bastaad clogs in college. Hottie 101! 😉

10. EW says:

oh yeah, in the 80’s it was a Fair Isle sweater, corduroy knee length shorts, knee socks and Bass weejuns, and the Pappagallo ribbon headband and matching wood handle purse…So preppy!!

All of that was blown away when I discovered punk and rock n roll of course

• Karen says:

Yes to everything you said!
      But….sometimes that preppy buried deep inside mr just pops up and demands to be feed…..

11. Darcy says:

I like the pullover with the hearts best, by far, but the pretty neck is a challenge. Hard to find a long-sleeve shirt to go underneath, that doesn’t stick out awkwardly from that scoop neckline.

12. Christine says:

Grew up on Cape Cod. Can’t.

• KimFrance says:

That’s like me with Texas and cowboy boots.

• Maggie says:

Yep. I grew up in RI and associate these with my grandparents in Cape Cod and Maine. Some east coast styles I’m very nostalgic for (duck boots and boat shoes), but others for some reason I don’t feel the need to revisit.

The Uniqlo one is cute, though.

13. Reader says:

I prefer traditional Fair Isle patterns.

14. Sophie says:

Anyone find any plus size options that are decent quality and don’t scream holiday ugly sweater contest? I’ve been looking for the last year!

15. Jennifer says:

I just got the JW Anderson x Uniqlo sweater in that colorway. It’s a really cute, thicker sweater, so now if the weather here in NY would only cooperate and go below 70° again…