Tuesday 21st November 2017

Monday links

• I love these portraits of women by artist Ruth Shively. (The Jealous Curator)
  • You must check out these insane pie crusts. (My Modern Met)
  • Amusing. (The Cut)
  • Here’s your time-waster of the day: every episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, ranked. (Vulture)
  • And finally: my former boss, Si Newhouse, died yesterday. He took a huge chance making me the editor of Lucky, as I was a complete unknown in the fashion world, and a bigger chance on Lucky itself—a magazine about nothing but shopping!  His generosity knew no bounds. I will forever be grateful to him. (New Yorker)
Posted on October 2nd, 2017 13 Comments

1. Adrien says:

I’m so sorry to hear about Si Newhouse. I remember being SO excited about Lucky and I bought the first issue (and then subscribed) simply because you were the editor.

2. KimFrance says:

Aw, that’s so sweet, Adrien. xx

3. Debra says:

Those pie crusts are gorgeous! I’d never have the patience to make those. I make an apple crostata that is ugly as hell but tastes like heaven. Those Guardian experience stories are a great way to start Monday morning. The one about the hippo was terrifying. Finally, the world needs more bosses like Si Newhouse.

I know it must be hard for you to lose Si Newhouse. How wonderful to have someone who believed in you!

It’s a sad Monday. The Las Vegas shooting has me prone.

5. jhops says:

My condolences on the passing of Si Newhouse.

Si sounds like a really great guy. How wonderful to have a boss that respects you and honors boundaries.

Experience can be funny (“My dog stole my tractor” or frightening (“I was swallowed by a hippo”), but always interesting and quirky.

I’ve been unplugged all week while on vacation, other than posting photos of the Catskills and Adirondacks, so I missed the Vegas shooting news. I couldn’t bear to read about “the orange one” or see his face while on vacation, and the news can be pretty damned depressing, so it was a good break. Now, back to the real world.

7. Erika says:

I’ve been meaning to say for quite some time . . . I LOVED Lucky when you were the editor. It went seriously downhill after you departed (the article on juicing was my “Seriously?? No!!?!” moment).

8. Mae says:

Hey, ya’ll — Check out the psychedelic smoothie bowls at the bottom of the pie crust blog!

9. y.k. says:

hey kimfrance -you linked to the amazing Ruth Shively last week too although I’m not complaining for one second.
    mae -i went down that smoothie rabbit hole myself -crazy.

&yes, the world certainly needs more bosses like s. Newhouse.

• KimFrance says:

Oh my God I am such a flake.

• Nicole says:

I totally clicked on it for round 2. I loved it that much the first time! 🙂

• DeDe says:

LOL, no! I noticed too and thought it was funny. I mean, seriously, how do you even keep track of everything you post? If I had a blog it would basically be “Here’s an a Détacher thing! And here are two therapy-pigs-in-training playing with a rubik’s cube! Fuck Trump!” because that’s about as much as I could manage.