Saturday 16th December 2017

Wednesday links

• I really dig these embroidered pieces by artist Michelle Kingdom. (The Jealous Curator)
  • The National Book Foundation’s “5 Under 35” are all women this year. (The Cut)
  • These portraits of women modeling weird devices meant to enhance their beauty are a little freaky. (Dangerous Minds)
  • There will be a Freaks and Geeks documentary. (A.V. Club)
  • Here’s an interesting article about Everlane, which contains the following great line: “You do not get laid in Everlane.” (New Yorker)

Posted on September 27th, 2017 21 Comments

I want Michelle Kingdom to be my BFF so she’ll give me a piece of her artwork for my birthdays.

I know there is some controversy in the “5 under 35” idea (a friend of mine, who is a writer, said “why can’t there be a 5 OVER 65!) because many folks feel a young writer doesn’t “speak” to them. And I think there have been some “5 under 35” choices in the past that have been bonkers, BUT this years list is one of the best (I’ve been told) and I plan to read all of them!

Interesting article about Everlane. It will be interesting to watch the company move forward. I will say the Everlane pieces I own I wear and wear and wear, but I’ve had to return several items ordered because of “fit” issues (which, I suppose, is true for almost any company, right?).

• Dana D says:

I’m really struggling with fiction these days…

I’m finally having to accept that maybe my age (55) is really influencing how I read and what I want from a book. I just finished Celeste Ng’s Little Fires Everywhere and I didn’t like it that much. I’m just over some of the themes she explored and I felt as if there were too many “little fires” and too many side stories.

I want fiction from elsewhere, non-american writers mostly. That seems to be the only story-telling that really holds my attention.

• DeDe says:

Me too with the fiction. A lot of it just feels so…I dunno, empty, maybe? Though in my case maybe it’s just who I am in general – despite my stint as an English major (I didn’t go on to grad school for a reason!), my original training was in social sciences and that’s heavily reflected in my reading choices, I’m realizing. Creative non-fiction/New Journalism, essay, cultural criticism, biography/memoir, social history – I’m down with all of those. And graphic novels are always a winner. But straight fiction is just not cutting it for me all that much.

• Maggie says:

I’ve felt the same way. “Empty” is a good word for it. I last felt it reading City on Fire, which critics loved. To me, it was like reading a kid who had never lived in New York taking every superficial cliche about gritty 70’s New Yorkers and doing absolutely nothing with them. And I felt this as a 42-year-old who has also never lived in New York.

I find myself actually checking the age of authors before reading them lately, which is something I’ve never done before. And I can read young authors from previous generations and not feel this way.

• Christine says:

I had a “get off my lawn” mantra going through my head when “City on Fire” came out. I’d rather read or re-read a work by Richard Price or Edmund White instead. I did enjoy a new novel set in New York this summer, Katherine Heiny’s Standard Deviation, which has culinary disasters, blow job jokes and origami.

• Bethany Ball says:

As a first time novelist who published well over 35 I know I never could have published earlier than I did. Writing takes time and money, not always, but often. Two things I did not have before I turned forty. I also needed the money and insurance to deal with some mental health stuff.

I’m also looking for writers of a certain age, and some writers, like Virginia Woolf, I couldn’t even look at until I was forty.

2. y.k. says:

again with the beautiful art!
    &as long as we’re on the topic of great embroidery artists -Richard Saja is amazing too

i have had a really hard time reading fiction since the election.

• Dana D says:

Good point, y.k.

Maybe we want to make ourselves smarter with non-fiction, to make up for the people who think higher education is evil and glamorize ignorance…

• KimFrance says:

Very cool embroidery, Y.K.

• Comic Sansa says:

For me, it’s been the exact opposite. I’m going through sci-fi– hard core, deep sci-fi– at a fast clip, and I’ve never really like sci-fi before. I guess I’m yearning for escapism, and reading about apocalyptic disasters on far flung worlds is maybe distracting from the actual disasters popping up all over this planet?

3. Mimi says:

We could collectively make a list of labels you do not get laid in, couldn’t we? When I was a fashion editor, Hal Rubenstein, then with InStyle, used to say that no man ever fantasized about taking a Prada dress off a woman. So true. I wish I was more attracted to Everlane’s offerings. In the past few years I bought a belt and a pair of pants, and both of them languish in my closet. I’m thinking about trying a striped silk shirt, but I’d want it so much more if it were washable.

• Maggie says:

I just bought my first Everlane items, two striped t-shirts, and they are so dowdy looking and not at all the slouchy cool vibe I expected. I was really disappointed. I own lots of striped tees, and none have been so shapeless as these.

• Heather says:

I agree. I’ve looked at their site and I’m not compelled by anything. Everything is so boxy, and their shoes all look really uncomfortable. I totally appreciate their mission though.

4. Mae says:

Fascinating. I think Everlane’s business model is the future for nearly all businesses. A paring down of the number of people involved in the “delivery chain”.

5. Mary Alice says:

I bought my first Everlane item in 2012, and while I have bought a fair number of items through the years, it’s been a mixed bag in terms of quality. My daughter’s Everlane backpack fell apart within 6 months. I bought and returned two pairs of wide legged pants because the pockets were sewn crookedly. A sweatshirt was made of cheap, scratchy material that pilled instantly. I still peruse their website but I hesitate to buy based on past experience.

6. Debra says:

I’ve had two successful purchases from Everlane: the small wallet referenced in the article and a long-sleeve tee. I sent back other items because of poor fit. It was very aggravating. I’m 5’10” and so were the models. I took into consideration the weight difference between the models and me. I studied the photos/videos ad nauseam to see where the sleeves ended; did the sweater cover the butt; how would larger breasts look in that; etc. I carefully selected the size and then when it arrived, BOOM! No. The sleeve isn’t as long as the website photo. No. The sweater doesn’t cover my butt. So forth. To repeat: very aggravating.

7. SC says:

Those embroidereies are beyond.

And on fiction (I’m 42) – i’ve recently read a lot of young writers that just felt so… meh. I’ve read this before, but better. But I still love young voices on tv: Broad City, Insecure….

And yes! There should be all ages. Here in Hollywood, Variety does an annual TOP TEN WRITERS TO WATCH list: it’s not age specific. just new voices. so yeah it’s mostly late 20s/ early 30s, but then a couple in their 40s and someone in their 60s. I like that approach.

• Viajera says:

Ditto. I’m not sure I care how old a writer is. And I don’t remember caring when I was a youngster either.

I wish I knew which critics to trust. Though I have a close friend who’s in three book groups, I could just ask her. But she only likes really intense stuff. Child soldier memoirs and the like.

And as for the movie industry you mentioned… well, tv too I guess… I see in the LAT that filmmakers get dinged if not enough people turn out, but… certain topics are just a much harder sell. “Birth of a Nation,” f.e. Hmm… slavery, rape, murder… when am I in the mood for that? Same with “Detroit” and a bunch of others. Critically acclaimed, and by critics I trust but you know what? Mental health is precious too. These are not easy movies. I feel like those directors should get a handicap. “Girls Trip” is a much easier sell.

• Viajera says:

I don’t mean to pile on the African American-containing movies… it’s not just those… those are just the most recent. I couldn’t get anyone to go to … now I forget the name, the one about the IED defusers… also by Kathryn _____ … forgot her last name too (It’s late!)

Incredible ratings but I couldn’t get anyone to go with me. I still want to see it…

8. Kathryn says:

very excited about Freaks and Geeks documentary. I want a reunion telemovie.