Saturday 24th February 2018

Nine black skirts with a little something cool going on

I want to start wearing skirts, I really do. But—as I have mentioned in the past—too many are too tricky. All of these are tricky in good ways, I think, starting with the pretty ruching here that also makes the hem asymmetrical.

I tried this on the other day and it is just gorgeous and drapes beautifully.

Nothing too major here, just accordion pleats and a very nice price.

A tube skirt can be scary-skinny, but with ruching (I know, a lot of ruching in this post; I’m a fan) it can be quite flattering.

Just thought I’d throw this pretty, subdued floral in for kicks.

This is just so flowy and feminine.

I adore the daring slit here.

This is a knit, which is cool, and it’s just a little metallic, which is cooler still.

Such a quietly sexy option.

Posted on September 22nd, 2017 11 Comments

1. Cola says:

Maybe this is a test to see if your readers are paying atttention – but did you know you posted the James Perse skirt twice? Top photo from Nordstrom (with black sneakers) and a middle photo from Shopbop (with white sneakers). That said, all your picks are great and I especially love the black floral.

2. KimFrance says:

No test, just me being a flake. I deleted the second one.

I LOVE the Sandro metallic skirt. It looks so comfortable!

4. Emily M. says:

These skirts are all so beautiful! I would probably wear them with boots.

• Dana D says:

I am not kidding when I say that I would wear every single skirt here…

otherwise, I would also wear them with boots.

5. SC says:

I have a black ruched tube skinny skirt from 2000. From… Victoria’s Secret (ha!). But it looks like Gucci circa Tom Ford. I’ve worn it more than anything I own. And still get compliments.

It’s almost threadbare now – I need a replacement. That Camuto one is sold out in non plus sizes : (

The Row also has one now that is just perfection. And $800. But I dream…

6. SC says:

The Row has a black ruched skirt now called “Aldona”

so beautiful so expensive. someone hold my money.

7. Mae says:

These skirts are all quite pretty, but I can’t think of one single place to wear a skirt. Not. One. Place.

Don’t know if that’s good or bad. Just where I am in life, I guess…

• Heather says:

I’m on the other end: I cannot find pants that fit me. I have a booty from hiking and yoga. I am proud of my well-muscled rear, which just carried me almost 500 miles across Colorado and over 13,000 foot passes and up 14,000 foot mountains, but it means that pants that fit my waist are too small in the butt, and pants that fit my butt are too big everywhere else. So it’s skirts almost every day. I do love jeans but need to dress up more for work. I also live in a cold climate, so it’s skirt/tights/boots for much of the academic year.

I love the ruching! It’s so flattering. I’d also love a pleated skirt to wear with a chunky sweater and boots. Question: Tall boots and tights? Converse? Ankle booties and no tights? Confused over current styling trends.