Wednesday 22nd November 2017

Just a handful of cute white sweaters

Aside from coffee-spill factor (which is substantial if you’re me), there is no reason not to be wearing white sweaters as the weather goes chillier. They’re so fresh and pulled-together, and look as good with jeans as they do with dressy little trousers. I have a couple of them, but neither is exactly perfect, and I feel as though the quality of my life would improve if I found that ideal one. It might look a bit like this Nili Lotan version I dug up at Barneys Warehouse.

A nice deep, wide V-neck is so far up my alley, and the price is decent.

This big huggy turtleneck would look so good with corduroys.

This is splurgy (and not technically all white) but I want it so.

Pretty straightforward looking, but it’s made by Demylee, who always use great wool.

The wide sleeves here are flattering, and I like that it’s a little sheer, so you could have a pretty cami peeking through.

Another good buy, and I really dig the neckline.

The straps here are just totally random, but I like them. And also knew that one of you would come up with something clever to say about them in the comments.

Posted on September 14th, 2017 16 Comments

I have four white cotton sweaters in my “sweater drawer” at this moment. All without coffee stains! However, I’d purchase that Nili Lotan in a charge card second if I could justifiably spend that much on a coffee sponge.

As for Helmut’s Straps…I think you are supposed to put your hands through the strap holes, then slide the straps up to your shoulders so they rest like cami straps thereby folding the sweater in half which then gives you an extra long sleeved cropped sweater. Two in one, yes?

2. Lesley says:

I thought they were stirrups for piggy back rides?

3. Laura Jean says:

CUT TO: me getting one of those straps caught on the arm of a chair and breaking my neck.

4. DeDe says:

Nordie’s styled that sweater with actual stirrup pants?! That’s effin’ hilarious. Especially since once the sweater stretches out, which it inevitably will, you could just pull the straps over your shoes (a pair of OTK boots, perhaps) et voila, The Stirrup Dress. Kind of like a Vetements thing, only more DIY. I mean, you may need to wrap the straps around your feet ten or fifteen times, but when you consider the cost savings, it’ll be SO WORTH IT.

5. Debra says:

At least one of those loops is crying out for a sword to be attached to it in someway. I’ll have to watch Gunga Din(1939)again and zero in on Douglas Fairbanks Jr.’s uniform to see how it’s done.

6. Nina Forrest says:

I’m definitely out of fashion, but what’s with the long sleeves covering the hands? If you push em up they fall down. Please advise 🙂

7. Jennie says:

As a habitual hand talker – I could use that sweater in meetings to tone me down – just wrap my wrists. I actually found myself angry when I clicked through and saw the sweater styled with stirrups…

8. Emily M. says:

Wear the strap sweater upside-down and it becomes a tank top with some random sleeves hanging from it.

• DeDe says:

Tie thw bottoms of the sleeves in a knot and you have a place to put important things like half-used kleenex, gum wrappers, grocery lists, etc.

9. y.k. says:

well that challenge was accepted !
    lol.

i’m always drawn to a darker color top over white, but i suspect white would be more flattering.

I want the lace-up Nili Lotan. But I’ll make do with the one I just ordered from Splendid. It may be from last season, but I don’t care!

11. Candy says:

Those loops: They’re for attaching the dog’s leash while on a walk leaving hands free for coffee, texting; it’s a mom thing, for kids to use as stirrups to launch themselves onto your shoulders more efficiently or to hang onto while you’re rushing through a crowd; and, of course, to dangle damp laundry from to dry as you walk