Monday 23rd October 2017

Top 5 of the week: lingerie resources

I really like nice lingerie—bras in particular—and don’t much care that there isn’t anyone to share it with at the moment. Wearing it always feels like a sexy little secret I’ve got going with myself. I used to have a couple of very nice bras and bikini briefs I saved for special occasions, but now I look only for really good pieces that aren’t too delicate or constricting so that I can wear them every day.  This bra is my most recent acquisition from from Fleur du Mal, a brand that skews toward fashiony, streamlined pieces.

I don’t go to Agent Provocatuer as much as I might like because it is so damned pricey, but I keep my eyes peeled for their sales, because they mark items to move. I have been known to splurge there, though, on a couple of hand-embroidered bras so pretty I’d wear them as outerwear if I could. This is just so gorgeous and almost graphic.

I’ll head over to Nordstrom if I need something very specific, like I did when I was searching for a not-unattractive  T-back bra to wear with a particular dress. They’ve got a really hardworking lingerie section.

For bikini briefs, I like UK outfit Mimi Holliday. Their pieces are just really cute and not terrifyingly pricey. These have such good star embroidery.

Also, I always check out Journelle to see what’s new in the panty department, because they’re good at stocking stuff that’s sexy but functional, like this.

Posted on September 12th, 2017 28 Comments

1. Ruth Harris says:

Hanro. Hanro. Hanro. Tailored/elegant rather than lacey/frilly sex-ay. Quality fabrics. Well cut. No panty line ever. Excellent site and service. IMO and IME the Tiffany of undies and sleepwear.

BTW: Autocorrect thinks Hanro = hernia. I will refrain from further comment.

2. Jessie says:

Hanky Panky lace boy shorts! Comfortable, sexy & no VPL under thicker fabrics. I’m still trying to find underwear (that’s not a thong. Nothing against thongs, I just don’t find them comfortable) for slinkier jersey fabrics.

Nordstrom’s bra fitters are always spot on & have never failed finding me sexy supportive bras (I’m very ample).

Totally agree that “not saving” your good lingerie is appropriate and doesn’t matter if you have anyone to share it with or not––you are the one you should please. Every time I’ve been through a critique of a manuscript I’ve always worn beautiful lingerie. It is my shield. I never save anything for a special someone––buy it, wear it, love it.

• Heather says:

Awesome. I also made the decision to wear lingerie while I was on the academic job market. For those who aren’t familiar with this particular level of hell, initial interviews often take place at the huge, disciplinary annual conference, in hotel rooms. Seriously. You’re a grad student finishing your dissertation, and you’re SITTING ON A BED wearing a TJ Maxx suit, being interviewed, cattle-call style, by a grumpy search committee from some crappy university that you would never want to work at anyway. I made sure to always have on crazy panties under that suit.

4. Dana D says:

Commando.

No vpl and made in the USA. Hanky Panky also USA made.

5. Stakra says:

For those of us on either side of the “standard sizes” (I’m a 30 band and larger cup) Prima Donna makes beautiful bras that are of great quality.

• Jennifer says:

Ditto on the small band/larger cup – love Prima Donna!

• Jasmine says:

I love Prima Donna, too! Among some of the most beautiful bras for those that need fuller coverage. I have a few of them.

• Denise says:

Also try Bravissimo. Back from 28, cups size D through K in many cute styles with matching bottoms available. We pay so much for bras, sisters, they damn well ought to be both quality and attractive.

6. Mary Alice says:

Wow, did anybody click on the Agent Provocateur link? That’s quite the ad campaign.

7. DeDe says:

I’d just like to give a shout-out to Hanes Her Way granny panties, available in convenient 3-packs at Target©. Collect them all!

• Viajera says:

I believe Hanes/Maidenform has also signed on to one of those worker protection agreements, the name of which escapes me. I haven’t been able to find much guidance about which agreements mean anything, but I am hopeful. At least they are trying. I guess clothing manufacturing changes a lot and is hard to monitor, I gather. I wish meaningful information were easier to get. (as in, really really easy…)

My issue with the packaged kind is, I rarely like the colors or patterns. The efficiency of just getting it all done at once is appealing, but in practice it doesn’t seem to work for me.

• DeDe says:

I was just kidding, V. I mean, I love me some Target granny undies, but it’s only a joke.

• Viajera says:

oh, sorry, I missed it!

It really does bother me though to see good companies — or even, trying-to-be-good companies — mess up their marketing.

Unless I am just wrong and other people like hideous colors and patterns. What do I know?

• c.w. says:

This had me laughing. A young friend of mine does what I do when traveling…puts her undies in a separate plastic bag with all the air squeezed out to take up as little space as possible in her carryon. However, when she was leaving on one particular trip she accidentally left the plastic undie baggie out of her carryon thus arriving to her destination with NO UNDERWEAR. She had a friend drive her to the local Target, dashed in and grabbed a packet of underwear and not until she had reached her final vacation spot did she realized she’d grabbed a packet of granny panties rather than the more hip string bikinis. However, she called me when she returned home and confessed in almost a whisper that those granny panties “were really comfortable.” I confess I’m in the just say “no” to the thong camp.

8. joannawnyc says:

I like Freya undies and Fantasie bras, but like DeDe my go-tos are the Hanes Her Way panties from Target lol. They just fit my butt.

This is reminding me of that “Underwear Horoscope” video by Jenna Marbles https://youtu.be/ZYOg1ifFDXA

• DeDe says:

Right?! This is the thing for me – finding something that fits my ample arse and is actually comfortable is super hard. Also, I hate doing the whole fancy panty Russian roulette: find a pretty pair for like $28+, purchase, decide they’re ok even though they don’t *quite* cover everything, then wear them out someplace and an hour later poke my thumb straight through a seam while going to the bathroom. That’s a heart-breaker, right there.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Been there, done that.

• Viajera says:

Yes… it is hard to find anything I like and when/if I do, I want to get a whole bunch of them and not have to think about it again for a while. One might think this was simple but it is *not.* Ay caramba.

This has nothing to do with lingerie, but I did just get my order of jeans from Everlane.

I ordered two different styles in two different sizes.

The Modern Boyfriend fit me in the smaller size. (the length comes right to my ankle––I’m short––5’2″)

The Mid-Rise Skinny (dark wash) fit me in the larger size. (and is more High-rise on me that Mid-Rise and about three or four inches too long)

I don’t know if they stretch out with wear (I JUST got them), but the wash on both is perfect. Also, one last note––the size difference in the Mid-Rise Skinny was vast, but in the Modern Boyfriend was what I would expect)

• Viajera says:

Good for you!! See, you are batting .500 – *nobody* bats 500!

I mean, that is, assuming you don’t mind too much to get things hemmed. Your call of course.

I am looking for pants now and realizing no one makes bootcut anymore. Holy cr*p this is why I don’t like shopping. I really need to be less whiny! At this rate though I will end up wearing men’s clothing again.