Wednesday 22nd November 2017

It’s the little things

I am crazy for this R13 jacket, but it is crazy-pricey.

And really just a direct rip-off of this Carhartt jacket, which I have wanted ever since I dated a contractor.

Posted on September 6th, 2017 13 Comments

1. Dana D says:

The strangest thing about the direct rip-off?

The R13 is made in CHINA!!!

2. joannawnyc says:

lol I saw the first pic and thought “why not just get the Carhartt version????”

• DeDe says:

I had the same response! I’m not super judgy about clothes – I feel like we’re all adults who can make decisions for ourselves just fine and shouldn’t have to justify them to people – but one of my personal “things” is spendy, direct knock-offs of workwear, especially Carhartt. It’s well-made, here in America, even, and affordable, and there are tons of women’s options now. Plus, my husband and I used to live on a property we shared with our landlord and his metal working business, and pretty much everyone up there wore Carhartt 24/7. If they ever saw someone in that r13 jacket they would laugh their asses off.

• Sabina says:

I thought the first image *was* a carhartt jacket! Lol

• suz says:

Me too! It does always crack me up when they make lux $$$ versions of utilitarian goods. Why not get the real deal. Besides, the Carhartt version is bullet proof (Luke Cage)

Tho the funniest is the Balanciga version of the ikea blue bag.

3. sarah d says:

ideally, Carhartt would rip-off the R-13 jacket! it’s really cute and looks a little lighter in weight. Still, no.

I just looked up the Carhartt site to see if I could wear a boy’s size (it comes in an amazing dark grey), but here’s the thing…on the Carhartt web site one of the questions put to the company was where is the boy’s jacket made. Indonesia and Vietnam.

I’m also in the category of thinking the first jacket was Carhartt.

5. Kate says:

The classic men’s Carhartt pants are made in the US, but most of their stuff is not anymore. Including this jacket. Sigh.