Wednesday 22nd November 2017

Tuesday links

• Photos to put you in a summer’s over state of mind. (Flavorwire)
  • The most WTF moments of the summer. (Elle)
  • And because the leaves will be turning before we know it: the 2017 fall foliage map. (Kottke)
  • This is the smartest piece I’ve read about Melania wearing heels to a disaster zone. (The Cut)
  • I’m intrigued by this trailer for the Alexander Payne movie Downsizing, mostly cause it’s got such a winning cast. (Vulture)

Posted on September 5th, 2017 17 Comments

1. Dana D says:

That article about the out-of-touch first lady is good. I also liked this one:

But we already knew these things. And mostly, it just makes me miss Michelle all the more.

2. Debra says:

It’s time to get back to basics when it comes to being human. What is you intent and purpose in life? If a POTUS/FLOTUS’s intent and purpose is to learn more about a disaster by being on the ground and to comfort victims, go forth. If a POTUS/FLOTUS’s intent is to pose for photo opportunities, stay home. Of course, this won’t happen but it’s easy for observers to know what the true intent and purpose is. Anyone who thinks 45/spouse’s motives were pure, cannot be convinced otherwise. Their intent and purpose is just as twisted as 45/spouse. The rest of us should focus our intent and purpose on the next election.

3. Hick from Styx says:

Those who assume high levels of public office, and their spouses, are well aware of the importance of their public image. This is particularly true this time around. Every outfit is carefully selected, and you can be sure that image consultants are involved. Consider this in the context of the outfit that has drawn so much criticism in Houston. It did get an awful lot of attention, which may have been the wearer’s point. So the wearer may consider this a huge success. There was an old saying in the news business that went like this, “Say whatever you want about me, but spell my name right.” The point being that even if what is said is harsh and unflattering, the only thing people will remember in the long run is your name.

I’m still trying to figure out, though, what point Kate of Cambridge was making when she wore a short yellow mini dress to a windy airport on a royal tour and flashed her butt, then seed to imply that no one should look at her. Surely the Queen has weighted hemlines and underpants that guard her modesty from prying eyes. Was the yellow dress Kate’s Marilyn Monroe moment. Don’t look at me while I flash you on international live TV, I’m so innocent!

Methinks we’re all being manipulated into talking about these attention-seekers.

Rhonda Garelick’s article on Melania was well thought out and observed. People keep saying to me that they feel sorry for her, but, no, I think she made a well thought out bargain with the devil and is keeping her promises. She may not have wanted to be First Lady, but she is playing that part the way she thinks it should be played. There is no depth here, just veneer.

While we aren’t quite back to full on off season out here on Long Island, when I ran errands this morning things were certainly quieter. There are still quite a few “summer people” dashing around closing up houses etc., but Salva Lopez’s photos gave me a certain kind of longing for the days when the beaches and streets are empty.

5. Hick from Styx says:

Here’s a summary of some of Kate’s most memorable flashing incidents and wardrobe malfunctions.

Some comments hint at something pathological.

As for your First Lady, I’m thinking of the Jackie suit at the inauguration. The heels worn for every occasion remind me of Kate. I sincerely hope that this aspirational dressing (Queen of Camelot, future Queen of England) does not lead to serial butt-flashing and desperate wardrobe malfunctions. That would be unfortunate.

• HOLLY says:

Just pulled myself up out of the rabbit hole that is katemiddletonreview.com. Sadly, I have work to do.

I agree with c.w., Melania is complicit in that she has publicly stated her agreement with Donald’s racist, misogynistic, hateful policies. I don’t feel sorry for her. She knew exactly what she was doing.

It’s “Tumbleweed Tuesday” in Montauk! And I am SO ready for Fall. My hubby and I have a vacation planned to the Catskills and Adirondacks during prime leaf-peeping season and I can hardly wait!

8. DeDe says:

Thanks for posting the piece on Melania; it’s the best thing I’ve read on the subject also. I think that’s because it centers the blame on Trump and his administration instead of making it solely about her, while not letting her off the hook for any of it, either.

Personally, I do think the fact that she is without a doubt being abused by her husband matters, and it matters because in relationships where there is a high level of psychological abuse, the victim doesn’t get to make her own decisions without serious consequences. While I have no doubt that some of the things she’s said and done have been on her own power – and let me be clear that she’s fully accountable for everything she does as First Lady whether it was her own decision or not – a lot of what she is being critiqued for is probably coming straight from Agent Orange himself and has nothing to do with what she wants at all (the FLOTUS hat is a possible example of this). And I think that changes the dynamics of things somewhat.

As feminists, we talk a good game when it comes to relationship abuse, especially in situations where there is overt physical violence or economic dependence on the abuser. And yet unless you’ve experienced it first hand, the psychological effects are harder to understand. It’s always, “Why does she stay? She has money, she can leave if she wants”, or “She knew what she was getting into when she moved in with/married him” – some statement that assumes the woman has more agency than what she’s been brainwashed to believe she has. And it’s what she believes that counts, especially if she’s been told terrible things will happen to her or her kids if she leaves (and even more so when the abuser has the power to carry out those threats, as Trump does). While having money is a tremendous boon, there are a million reasons women stay with their abusers that have nothing to do with it at all.

I am not a fan of Melania. I have little doubt that if left to her own devices she would be about as eloquent and insightful as a Kardashian. But abuse is abuse; you don’t have to like or approve of her to see the situation for what it is.

• DeDe says:

I guess I had more to say about that than I thought? Yikes.

• Dana D says:

I agree with you, she is clearly in an abusive relationship.

So many layers to all of this.

• DeDe says:

Right? I feel like people just reflexively go one way or the other with it – either she’s a secret feminist hero who is utterly blameless and needs to be freed so she can save humanity (ok that might be overstating it), or she’s 100% culpable and the abuse doesn’t matter because she chose to marry The Orange Menace. But a person can be a victim and still be accountable for her actions.

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Good points, DeDe, about the possible abuse angle. I also see that in the T’s very unbalanced relationship. I’ll rethink this!

9. peach says:

she didn’t wear heels in Texas. She had on athletic shoes..looked like maybe adidas…

10. peach says:

she didn’t wear heels in texas…she had on athletic shoes…maybe adidas…

11. y.k. says:

yes! i thought the same when i read that Melania article – really well thought out&well written.
    i didn’t know about kate’s flashing. will look into this. 😊