Wednesday 22nd November 2017

Friday links

Posted on September 1st, 2017 6 Comments

I’m not sure I see the same thing you see in the Serge & Jane photos, Kim. In many of them, she seems like his “beautiful accessory.” Call me a cynic, but relationships in which one of the parties is 20 years older than the other give me pause…there’s an unequal balance of experience/power there. And knowing a little about their dysfunctional history together leads to my belief that everything wasn’t as idyllic as it appeared. (It’s the feminist in me, I guess.)

Re: Cross-body tattoos. I’m glad I looked at the article. I had this image of intense workout tattoos…you know, “cross-body”?!? 😉

2. y.k. says:

mamaV – relationships w/ that kind of age difference give me pause too. ( the NYT vows section last week featured a 70 something marrying a 20 something – a very extreme example.)

the pic of jane birkin wearing that sheer dress made me laugh.

& i have cross body bags on my brain – you can imagine the kind of tattoos i was envisioning!

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

I totally get Jane Birkin as fashion icon. I’ll just stick with that.

Lol to cross-body bag tattoos, y.k.!!!

• DeDe says:

Me as well. Jane had amazing style and poise, and I have no problem with her at all, but honestly? Serge has always grossed me out. I get that he was the infant terrible who loved pissing off the French establishment and all, but I feel like the emphasis should be on the infant part of that semantic equation, you know? What a big, narcissistic child he was.

• Heather says:

I’m with you guys – Jane had/has great style. I’d love to Photoshop Serge out of the pictures, for all the reasons mentioned above. But apparently he was the love of her life, and she never recovered from his death even though they had separated by then. As someone who has gotten a lot of judgement for my own relationship choices, I try not to judge those of others (though I don’t always succeed — @y.k., I saw that same NY Times ‘vows’ piece and yeah… wow).

3. SC says:

St Vincent video is a HOME FUCKING RUN.

I’m only a mild fan, but that and the song crushed. Bittersweet to the hilt.