Wednesday 22nd November 2017

A whole bunch of trousers

Like it or not, fall is inching ever-closer—last night was practically sweater weather out here in Sag Harbor—so I’m going to show what feels like seasonally appropriate clothing starting now. Most of the pants here, like this excellent cropped, frayed-hem pair, are good for the kind of tricky transitional dressing we’ll all be doing for a little while now.

On the other hand, these cords are perfect for when it really starts being crisp out.

I love the look of wide trousers, and these have side pleats, which is kind of cool.

This is a very intriguing silhouette—wide and cropped.

A pair of grey trousers just seems like a good idea, and I like that the pleats aren’t too deep here.

These are a good army green, and they’re nicely priced too.

I love how menswear-ish these are, and am deeply tempted to buy them.

Another pair of full trousers, which I think I’m just about ready to wear again.

I am a big proponent of wearing  white year-round, which is why I’m digging this pair.

Pants with prints are not so much my jam, but these are so damn cute, and the print is nicely subtle (here is a cheaper-but-somewhat-similar pair, if you’re interested).

Denim trousers are not only chic, but office-worthy as well.

Posted on August 29th, 2017 10 Comments

I’ve never tried on a pair of the MOTHER brand. Does anyone know how they fit? True to size? Is there a “true to size” anymore? Also love the Vince pair.

Love the look of the billowy leg, but as a short person I have to be super careful with the billow or I look even shorter!

• DeDe says:

I have some Mother jeans and really like them, though I think they run slightly small. I’m 5’2″ and the cropped length comes right to my ankle!

2. Caroline says:

As sweet as the those skinnies are, I am totally ready to embrace wide leg trousers again!
    Nice pics:)!

• Mamavalveeta03 says:

Me too, Caroline! I think the time for wide legs has returned. Just in time for my wide legs 😉

3. Sara says:

Random, but I love the mustard peep toe suede pumps in the last pic!

Kim, are you planning a fall shoes post anytime soon? Preferably one that features not-too-high heels? 😉

4. Jessica says:

I’m really into the idea of wide-leg trousers lately. I’ve been considering an Everlane pair, but does anyone out there have another brand they’ve tried and liked? Especially anyone over a size 6–I often struggle with this fit since getting something to fit my hips and rear means the waist is woefully big.

5. Juliette says:

I love patterned pants but I’ve gotten a little curvier in my 40’s and now I’m not sure if I can pull it off anymore. Kim, any suggestions for patterned pants for curvy ladies? Thanks!

6. Wendela says:

Love this list. I want to try those Everlanes and wish I could pull off the plaid ones (but my sillouette is curvier than the models and that makes patterned pants tricky!). Actually I like a lot of these choices but several are styled with sneakers which is a look I like but wouldn’t wear to work. Can you do a post showing a few top to bottom outfit ideas for casual professionals? I’m an academic, and lately I’ve been feeling like I don’t have any idea what else I’m supposed to wear –I mostly wear pants but can’t keep up with what’s current (wide, skinny, cropped, long, …?) and how to style the various options for 2017. I need a closet refresher. How would you style these pants for a casual professional look? I’m 50 and want to look stylish but do not want to look like I’m trying too hard to be mistaken for one of the the “kids” (millenials). I’m happy to look youthful, I just don’t want to be delusional about it. Can you help??

It WAS sweater weather last night!

Most excellent choices, Kim! I’m particularly fond of the cargo cords, the white chinos, and the wide leg trousers. I think the James Jeans trousers are adorable, but dry clean? No thanks!