Wednesday 20th September 2017

Tuesday links

• These adult movie posters from the 60s and 70s are almost quaint by today’s standards. (But not so quaint that they aren’t NSFW.) (Dangerous Minds)
  • Here’s how you can help hurricane Harvey victims. And thanks to those of you who reached out to see how my relatives and loved ones in Houston are faring. They’re all fine, but damp. Hope my Houston readers are doing OK too. (The Cut)
  • A whopping 67 movies coming out this fall. (Vulture)
  • This Whitney Houston documentary sounds rather heartbreaking. (Flavorwire)
  • This story, in which several women discuss how tattoos have helped them with their body image, is interesting. (Refinery 29)

Posted on August 29th, 2017 7 Comments

Did not realize you still had family in Houston, Kim. Glad they’re all safe and sound. The few folks I know on the Gulf are either on high ground still with power or made it out ahead of the storm. Port Aransas, a tiny beach town where I spent much of my early childhood summers is heavily damaged. I can barely stand to look at the photos. Thank you to everyone here who has donated.

2. Dana D says:

Love to Houston. I am glad your family is safe.

As is the case in all parts of the world, but more obscenely visible in this country, it is the neediest and most disenfranchised who suffer the most.

3. DeDe says:

The situation in Texas is effing horrible. I couldn’t remember if you were from Houston or Dallas originally – I’m so glad you’re not there, and that your people are all safe. Are there any Gulf Coast GOACA’s? How are you all doing, if you’re reading???

The tattoo thing was really interesting. I have several tattoos, one of which is a full sleeve which I’ve had for close to 15 years. Back then it felt important to get something large-scale and visible because women weren’t supposed to do that. Even my friends thought it was hilarious that I wanted a sleeve – they just couldn’t take it seriously. So I was prepared to take a lot of shit for it, but surprisingly, people actually started treating me with a lot more respect. I’m a small woman so I’m vulnerable to a certain sort of condescension that’s akin to being a large child, so this was extremely good for me. Of course at the time a woman with a sleeve was still an unusual sight around here, so it made a bigger impression than it does now. In out-of-the-way places it’s still an attention-grabber (I mostly forget I even have it until I catch someone gawking!).

The most interesting thing about that article for me is the generational differences. Overall getting tattooed seems like a more casual thing than it used to be, but it’s also less transgressive from a gender normativity standpoint. And that’s all to the good, but I’m happy I had the experience of doing this when it was still a major feminist statement.

• DeDe says:

Ugh, that’s a clunky read (note to self: no more commenting from my phone!)

• Viajera says:

No,no, I thought it was interesting. I have to think about it, because I don’t recall ever being aware of there being more of an issue about women getting tattoos, though that probably just means I was out of touch. It could be a regional thing too. I am not sure what I think about someone getting more respect for that reason… though of course, I am happy for you! Fascinating.

4. Gables girl says:

Very sad about Houston, Whitney and otherwise.

Glad your friends and family are all ok. I think Dana’s point about who suffers during these natural disasters will be amplified with an administration that sees little need for FEMA or anything, for that matter, that has to do with helping the poor.

Lol’ed at the adult movie posters!

Looking forward to any movies with Frances McDormand, Michael Fassbender, Meryl Streep, Idris Elba, and all of the indie ones, especially.